Thread: What comes after the starter set?

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Default What comes after the starter set?

Fellow officers and ratings,

Having purchased the starter set a while back and adding a Spanish frigate and ship of the line, I'm looking to expand my fleet.
    Problem is, I'm not exactly sure where to begin.
    What would you recommend if I was to expand the English fleet and either the Spanish or French?

I'm open to suggestions.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You can't go wrong with another Frigate for each side another two decker for each side and a First rate for each.
    My priority would be in that order. Then a sloop if you can get one.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I'd recommend the 40 gun ships, (The heavy frigates). I think they're very well suited for the game.

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Thank you gentlemen. I've jumped onto your advice and have put some orders in (no local stockists where I am unfortunately). They'll come through after the festive season now though.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Glad to be of help Andrew, and as usual Texas refined my initial suggestion with an excellent suggestion. the larger Frigates are much more useful.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

This feels like an intervention thread for these crack ships.

<stands up> Hello everyone. I umm, (clears throat) It’s been seven days since I’ve last ordered a Sails of Glory Ship. <sniffs>
    Those wave four ships (pauses as not to break down) I uhh.. spent all of the kids Christmas money on them. <sits back down sobbing>

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Console yourself with the thought that you are investing in your kids inheritance. when you pass on they can sell the ships on E-bay for silly money.
    Bligh.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

I’m making the future eBay sales photo now:

Name:  C0AC05C4-6D76-4A7B-8009-22774D7006DC.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  161.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking good Aaron.
    You are nowhere near needing to join Anchorage Anonymous yet.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

I could be joining Anchorage Anonymous myself...

Purchases for the British Fleet as follows (once again, feedback welcome)
    HMS Sybille/HMS Amelia - 40 gun Frigate
    HMS Leopard/HMS Isis - 50 gun 4th rate twin deck
    HMS Royal Sovereign/HMS Britannia - 100 gun 1st rate
    HMS Swan/HMS Fairy - 14 gun sloop

With the starter set that gives the British Fleet 1 1st rate, two frigates of varying power, two twin deck ships of the line, and a sloop.

Is it worth getting another sloop?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Morning Andrew.
    If you fancy a bit of converting you can start with another Sloop and turn it into a Gun Brig quite easily.

https://sailsofglory.org/content.php...o-a-Bomb-Ketch

That will give you more scope for coastal actions. Also another ship in the line is good as the 60's 74s were the backbone of most navies. That would give you a fine Squadron with which to operate. I would pause there and get to know the handling qualities of those ships against the enemy before enlarging any further.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

I can see how this quickly becomes a habit!
    I think I'll hold off on the conversion for now, but keep an eye out for an additional 60 or 74.

Thanks.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very wise Andrew.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I would recommend you to play some and decide what kind of actions you like the most.

Then I'd think you should decide on what more ships from what you would like to play.

If you fancy frigate actions the most, then perhaps you might buy several frigates and a few merchants and use the ships of the line from the starter or even a 50-gun two-decker as your flagship.

If you fancy the third rates you might buy more 74s and 80s and stay away from the smaller two-deckers as those weren't really strong enough to be kept in the line. You should then use a first rate as flagship. For the British no other ship can compete with HMS Victory. It is a very good model, even though it is a bit more expensive.

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

That's great advice too Texas.
    With what I've ordered I'll still be fine to expand in any direction that appeals.
    My biggest problem probably stems from my personal lack of knowledge about the ships of the era. Something I'm going to have to correct with some historical reading.
    The Victory is difficult to get here in Australia, but hopefully I'll get lucky.
    Also, do Ares sell merchantmen or is that from another line or a conversion?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

There are a few that can be used indiamen or merchants in the latest releases. That's where the 80 gun ship is too.

Myself I did a conversion to make a merchant that isn't that hard if you don't want to paint and assemble any of the metal ships that are available in the 1:1200 scale which especially with merchants work very well. Even better since the latest ships have been on the small side scale-wise and the first a little big scale-wise.

From the latest release:
    http://www.aresgames.eu/wp/wp-conten...ry-SGN116B.jpg

My conversion:
    https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....man-conversion
    Last edited by TexaS; 12-17-2017 at 05:38.

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Great. Thanks Texas.
    I've looked through the range and see that there are ex-East India merchantmen that could be used with a quick paint job.
    Conversion looks good and straightforward. Obviously I need more ships!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Those East Indiamen are a Godsend for quick translation into other ships Andrew.
    I am using one for the larger converted East Indiaman San Martin in the Chilean Squadron under Cochrane.
    Just a pity they have not done a medium and small merchantman yet.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Thanks Rob. What did you do conversion wise? And are you using a different deck or statline to reflect the reduced handling/training/gunnery on the merchantman?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Related to your question: Ares released alternate stats on their site to mimic an armed merchant.

http://www.aresgames.eu/19804

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Those are the ones that I am using for San Martin.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

That's great! Thanks Aaron & Rob.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Nigel

As a raw recruit, this thread is what I'm after. I'm expecting my starter set any day and got hold of a HMS Victory by sheer luck. Any tips on solo play?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Firstly welcome to the Anchorage Nigel.
    Secondly have a look here and the surrounding yearly campaigns for info on solo stuff.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/forumdi...-Solo-Campaign

May you always sail with a fair wind and a willing enemy.

Rob.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Nigel

Fantastic thanks, I'm still learning my way around on here so I'll nip over and have a look.