Thread: Medals and promotions Board.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSheets View Post
    There's preserverence! Well done Eric.
    Thanks. That also means that SoG has been out for ten years!

Whenever a ten year anniversary comes along I can't help but be reminded of a classic tune:

"You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again
    The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death."

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very poignant Eric, although the Sun is also technically another day nearer to death too.

It is also true that the actual game started a bit earlier than that, and our Ten years started with the opening of the Anchorage by the Royal Hajj on Wednesday, November 23, 2011. Those who joined in that first year were granted the same medal as your own but with the addition of a Fouled Anchor attached to the ribbon. Nevertheless the honour is still very prestigious and you are the very first recipient of this medal.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Very poignant Eric, although the Sun is also technically another day nearer to death too.

It is also true that the actual game started a bit earlier than that, and our Ten years started with the opening of the Anchorage by the Royal Hajj on Wednesday, November 23, 2011. Those who joined in that first year were granted the same medal as your own but with the addition of a Fouled Anchor attached to the ribbon. Nevertheless the honour is still very prestigious and you are the very first recipient of this medal.

Rob.
    The Kickstarter was in 2013 though or at least my spreadsheets are dated to 2013, which is why I mentioned it. The rule book is copyrighted 2013. Perhaps you are thinking of earlier play testing?

Also, I am approaching retirement and thinking it is time to get back to more actual sailing again before time runs short, which of course brings up the Floyd lines!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As you can see Eric my own membership dates from Nov 2011 and I was not involved in the play testing.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.