Thread: Weight of Shot

Hybrid View

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

So far our group has only played with ships of the line in getting the hang of the rules, but it is time to step up to frigates and sloops. I will follow amendments for sloops. Thanks

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Killick View Post
    So far our group has only played with ships of the line in getting the hang of the rules, but it is time to step up to frigates and sloops. I will follow amendments for sloops. Thanks
    Alastair, an additional change I make for sloops is that they do not have to plan an extra movement card ahead, unlike bigger ships. This is to reflect their agility compared to their lumbering relatives.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Alastair, an additional change I make for sloops is that they do not have to plan an extra movement card ahead, unlike bigger ships. This is to reflect their agility compared to their lumbering relatives.
    I like this rule. Are there any others?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I agree that is a really good rule. Could apply to all smaller ships.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I got this PM just before Christmas, and have not had time to give it much thought.
    Has anyone helpful answers to any of the questions raised?

I'm curious on your thoughts about a carronade only vessel. I know you're working on one, I think you mentioned a 14 gun, but historically I'm aware of HMS Rainbow under Trollope, a 44 gun Frigate covered to a 48 gun all carronade vessel...

I'm thinking of doing a conversion as it were, and putting together a new ship card with wider firing arcs as per Ares carronade rules.
    My question is how to up the firepower?
    As a carronade actually increases the 'weight of metal' by a factor of four I feel that the firepower should refect that in some way...
    I figure if it's firing every turn that's a two fold increase, so doubling the basic firepower seems fair as that would refect the four.
    I wouldn't included/allow double shotting if this was the case though.

Have you given the same thought to it?

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

One interesting conundrum arose in our game yesterday.
    A sip had a load of ball and grape. When fired the grape was just out of range and thus a miss was called. It was then realized tat the ball was still well within its own short range. We could not decide weather to allow the ball to strike or not. In the end we did not allow the hit, but it does raise a rather interesting question about power of shot, powder charge, and momentum. If double shotted Ball can reach should not a ball over grape be able to do as much once the grape has dissipated into the briny?
    Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    In that vein, why not extend it a little?
    *Sub-frigate Unrateds: play cards at will, no advance planning
    *Corvettes/Post Ships and Frigates (and similar size other ships): One card in advance
    *Two-deckers and EIM's: Two cards in advance (Include Victory/Boyne/Union three-deckers here, as they were said to handle like the two-decker 74's they were scaled-up from)
    *Non-Victory Three-deckers: Three cards in advance

For a cleaner split it could also be done by rate as:
    U & 6 - free play
    4 & 5 - one card in advance
    1-3 - two cards in advance
    Perhaps kick 64's down with 4/5 and laden EIM's up with 1-3.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post

For a cleaner split it could also be done by rate as:
    U & 6 - free play
    4 & 5 - one card in advance
    1-3 - two cards in advance
    Perhaps kick 64's down with 4/5 and laden EIM's up with 1-3.

I like this idea DB. I will try this out with Captain Kiwi once the Quarantine period is over.
    Any ideas how we could extend this to include AI's in some mild form?
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-20-2020 at 09:03.