Thread: Weight of Shot

Hybrid View

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Historically, in the Constitution's last fight, it was against two sloops, or post ships, which were primarily armed with carronades. one might guess that the weight of their broadsides is what gave them the opinion that they stood a fighting chance.

In my rethinking, carronade sloops would be like sloops as they are with unmodified rules, only with no long range. Sloops with long guns (6 pounders) would subtract -2 from any numerical chit result, to represent the lesser punch of the smaller guns, but would be able to fire at long range.
    Dobbs,
    I agree and like this change in the rules, but would like to see 1, 2, an 3 damage chits treated as 1 point hits. The oak on the side of a sloop, schooner, or xebec was pretty thin.
    Bob

Rules are rough approximations of what you think I might do!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bos'n View Post
    Dobbs,
    I agree and like this change in the rules, but would like to see 1, 2, an 3 damage chits treated as 1 point hits. The oak on the side of a sloop, schooner, or xebec was pretty thin.
    Bob, are you saying that instead of just subtracting 2 from any numerical chits, and counting 1's and 2's as 0, that chits numbered 1-3 would just be 1's and the higher numbers would subtract 2?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Yes
    Bob

Rules are rough approximations of what you think I might do!