Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default Adding the Effects of Current

Here are some rules I developed in case you want to add current or set to a scenario (it can be especially interesting if there is land involved).

Current (set): To represent the effect of current, the Current Indicator card is placed on the board and all vessels involved in the engagement feel the effect. At the start of each turn, each vessel places the Current Movement card on the corner or edge of their base furthest downstream, and moves the base in the direction of the Current Indicator’s arrow the distance of the Current’s indicated speed, without changing the ship’s orientation.

The Current cards with the royal blue arrows indicate localized currents and the border arrows define the boundaries. Any portion of a ship’s base within the boundary means the ship feels the effect of the localized current. A ship can only be affected by one current per turn.

Current Cards 1.pdf
    Current Cards 2.pdf
    Current Cards 3.pdf

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice idea Dobbs.
    I have copied your set of cards for future use should I essay up river in the future.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Nice idea Dobbs.
    I have copied your set of cards for future use should I essay up river in the future.
    Rob.
    There can be currents along coastlines too....

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

The Chesapeake and Delaware Bays have significant currents on the ebb and flood, as I suspect the Solent does as well.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    The Chesapeake and Delaware Bays have significant currents on the ebb and flood, as I suspect the Solent does as well.
    Oh yes. Double trouble from the Solent Dobbs.

It is sheltered by the Isle of Wight and has a complex tidal pattern, which has benefited Southampton's success as a port, providing a "double high tide" that extends the tidal window during which deep-draught ships can be handled. Portsmouth lies on its shores. Spithead, an area off Gilkicker Point near Gosport, is known as the place where the Royal Navy is traditionally reviewed by the monarch of the day.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Racing small boats on the Delaware in a 2 knt current with 6 knts of wind is a real treat!!

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

A nice addition to the game.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Union Jack View Post
    A nice addition to the game.
    Thanks Neil! I think currents could make for interesting scenarios like a small, maneuverable ship vs. a larger one in shoal waters. ..
    Last edited by Dobbs; 10-26-2017 at 19:42.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

If you read accounts of small ship operations close inshore the effect and impact of tides and currents is quite stark, as is the benefit of local knowledge, the availability and willingness to help of local pilots etc. So plenty of "chrome" to add to inshore and riverine scenarios.