Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Default SoG Game Tracker App (windows)

Name:  infOcean6.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  31.2 KB

Current Version: 0.33 (released 12-26-17)
    (see post #32 & 34 for update details)

Links for v0.33:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ro0jx0ad6g...v0.33.exe?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xv94phokjk...ships.dll?dl=0
    Instructions: (Drop both files in a folder and start the .exe)

User’s Guide (for v0.32): https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....-%28Windows%29

2/6/2018 update:
    Working on ship physics. Work in progress demo of tack.
    https://youtu.be/lXjhB24SM9w

1/1/2018 update:
    Starting implementing the world physics modeling for the ships (outside of tactical SoG play). This is early work showing sail performance of the main topsail.
    Name:  sailPhy1.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  59.2 KB

12/26/17 update for 0.33 (small update):
    Made two small changes for HMI. Moving the view around is now the same as current apps, (ie. google maps click and drag). Zooming is now handled by the mouse wheel. These two changes have made manipulation easier.

Name:  gamecap.jpg
Views: 1914
Size:  70.7 KB

12/3/17 Update:
    ---------------------------------
    * Added Solo AI Movement Option (Enable AI checkbox in Roster)
    * Scenario setup progress (have one programmed in)
    * Ship Placement during game setup (location and heading)
    * Fixed bugs in 0.31 (crew count is reported incorrectly).
    * Working on a better way to show incremental damages in both map and form play.
    * Added Turn and phase text on map

New destroyed slots are red, old damage is gray, flooding is blue, yellow is damaged but not destroyed.

How to choose scenarios: (i see typo in scenario)
    Name:  gameProg3.jpg
Views: 1847
Size:  98.0 KB

Enabling AI movement for ship:
    Name:  gameProg4.jpg
Views: 1829
Size:  65.2 KB

(This top thread is now for recent information, the original historic incremental has been moved to my 2nd post in this thread)
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-07-2018 at 18:48.

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alan

I'd look forward to trying this out.

I have a PC located right next to my gaming table specifically for reasons like this.

Only suggestion I have for where to share it would be the free version of dropbox. (dropbox.com)

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Dropbox is what we use on the Ares research team. Or you might be able to upload it here in Game Files...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

SoG Game Tracker: Current version is 0.31 (released 11/29/17)
    Note: The program is developed in C# for .net (so you will need .net if you don't have it - most likely you do have it)

Hello Gents,

I recently joined Anchorage and I wanted to share a project I'm working on that others here might take an interest in. As the title states this project is a game tracker application for windows that basically tracks the aspects of the game while still using the physical ships, movement cards, weather gauge and range ruler. The current software development area is rules applications, ship stat management, and game phase implementation. The app guides the players along with choices.

I'm the single programmer and my goal is that I want to be able to play this game with minimum space, solo play also running both sides, and play around my two small kids that may otherwise move chits around accidentally. [I am also adding in a virtual sea/ships to speed up testing things, app is targeting both table and virtual table now]

The application will be ready for others to beta test tomorrow (Sunday 10/22) but I need some way to share the file (its an .exe) so please chime in if you have a free solution. [using Dropbox now, thanks for tip]

This is for fun (hobby) and it is a work in progress so keep that in mind.

-Cya
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-30-2017 at 18:55.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

-----
    11/18 update: see my last post for version 0.29 (working example for upcoming 0.30)
    -----

Here are some of the upcoming changes and fixes for 0.2:

SoG V0.2 Fixes
    * Adding 1st and 3rd rate ships [done - and unrated]
    * Ship data resides in stand alone DLL so ships can be added without updating main exec. [done]
    * Added ability to force strike ships (leaving areas - hidden under options button) [done]
    * Added Raking (bow, stern) [done]
    * Now populates Movement Restriction Summary Panel [done]
    * Completed Grog ability [done]
    * Double clicking Hull and Crew reveals full stat matrix [done]
    * Ability to select shot types during reloading phase [didn't make it in]
    * Auto crew action selector (for common actions) [time saver feature]

Features in planning:
    * Modify chit counts for bigger games
    * Export game/ship log to txt file for forum AAR support
    * Import txt file for custom ships
    * Forts
    * New Fires during grapple spreads to other ships (w/ extinguish guarding against it)
    * Force Fire cannons so different shots can be selected
    * Doubleshot implementation
    * Wind strength and Direction
    * Save Game Feature (I keep making click errors with no way to undo)
    * Virtual map and ships (did some prelim work.. as shown in original post)
    * possible multiplayer support (long way off as I don't have any net coding experience)
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-18-2017 at 09:42.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Very interesting!

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Love to give this a go.

A note to Capn Duff......TRAFALGAR....DONCASTER 2018.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Version 0.2 is now live

FYI- I left some test buttons on the bottom right which zooms and rotates the ship above it. The map button brings up a blue ocean with equally spaced out ships. Ships remember their last rotation heading but that's all it currently does at the moment. Close the map to return to the SoG Game Tracker app main screen.
    Last edited by Aaron; 10-26-2017 at 12:13.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Quick update on this past weekend progress:

1) coded the objects that handle the movement card mechanics
    2) coded a selection menu system for the left, veer 5, and right cards
    3) added Spanker, yards rotation, and mast flags (with wind direction)
    4) found a bug in the crew action limit reporting when there shouldn't be.

Screen shot added to show ship progress in original post.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

So Halloween update:

Major progress made with fire arc - line of sight coding. Its a complicated piece as you have to look at base corners as well as closest point on an edge and points of intersection of base edge and arc edge. I need a beer after this one. I still have to add in obstacle detection but a milestone has been reached here.

So I am recruiting helpers as I want to size the ships to historic and I do not have access to ship dimensions. Also I want to put other ships in the roster (Trafalgar?) so I can test a large battle.

Revision 0.3 will have a limited virtual ship/ table top test as I do not have all of the movement decks configured so all of the ships will use the same type for now. If someone wants to volunteer on data entry for the heading changes and vector changes for the cards and have access to them let me know as this can speed the process up.
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-04-2017 at 18:57.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

V0.3 progress pictures:

More Targeting Code: (showing valid arcs and min distance)
    Name:  Capturem1.jpg
Views: 1850
Size:  47.3 KB

Selection of target and chosen battery (clicking same target rotates arc selection)
    Name:  CaptureM2.jpg
Views: 1835
Size:  49.6 KB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Update for upcoming v0.3:

(wip half detailed)
    Name:  capg.JPG
Views: 2001
Size:  29.8 KB

1- Last 2 days has been movement card focused. The ships now move according to the planned card. Wind attitude and sail settings are used in conjunction with card to reposition the ship on screen. Mast damage and red card substitutions are automatically applied per the rules (even random taken aback with mast damage).

2- Onscreen ocean/map can be zoomed and panned, still fine tuning but it works.

3- Making a real attempt at accurately modeling a Concorde class.

4- Adding cannon fire animation and sounds. The plan is to show staggered cannon fire to reveal the outcome of the chits. These effects will be improved on later but I wanted to get this in now. Plan is to show some damage like mast loss and fires.

More to come!
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-07-2017 at 21:23.

Great work!

I suppose since it is a .net app an ipad won't run it?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Great work!

I suppose since it is a .net app an ipad won't run it?
    That is correct!

I do have two iPads and I've messed around with writing simple apps but I'm not experienced enough to try this on the iPad.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Update: Adding in fire animations and smoke with drift

WIP as usual:
    Name:  fire1.JPG
Views: 1919
Size:  21.5 KB

after some time drifting smoke:
    Name:  fire2.JPG
Views: 1855
Size:  22.6 KB

The initial smoke velocity needs tweeking so the smoke can initially go against the wind when fired upwind.

more.. maybe having too much fun making these:
    Name:  fire3.JPG
Views: 1827
Size:  22.9 KB

Name:  fire4.JPG
Views: 1855
Size:  23.6 KB

Name:  fire5.JPG
Views: 1859
Size:  22.5 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-08-2017 at 20:28.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

For those wondering I do have a full time design engineering job (not in computer programming) so my window to do this hobby is during my lunch break, my 4 times a week 2-hr commute and on weekends when I find free time away from the family.

So during this lunch break I got the movement vectors to show up on the cards (which also revealed a couple of data entry errors as the path arrows were running off of the cards :)

examples:
    Name:  move1.JPG
Views: 1977
Size:  21.0 KB

Name:  move2.jpg
Views: 1908
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  move3.JPG
Views: 1843
Size:  20.8 KB

I'm working on getting version 0.3 out to you soon (aiming for this weekend but that's not firm).
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-09-2017 at 12:57.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Version .3 is dropping this weekend:

Here's some latest screen shots:

Entanglement and grappling:
    Name:  IMG_3087.jpg
Views: 1967
Size:  74.4 KB

Collision detection:
    Name:  IMG_3086.jpg
Views: 1739
Size:  51.9 KB

Improved boat and cannon splashes:
    Name:  IMG_3085.JPG
Views: 1805
Size:  36.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to see you have not been idle during our shipwreck!
    More than can be said for some of your shipmates seen frequenting the local hostelries all week.
    Seriously that looks great Aaron. Good enough to grace many a gamer's table I have no doubt.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Good to see you have not been idle during our shipwreck!
    More than can be said for some of your shipmates seen frequenting the local hostelries all week.
    Seriously that looks great Aaron. Good enough to grace many a gamer's table I have no doubt.
    Rob.
    Thank you for the kind words! Yes the shipwreck was unfortunate but we got her afloat again.
    I will be leaning on your vast historic knowledge as I desire to expand my game to include other aspects such as:

1) spring anchors: I wonder what an acceptable turning rate would be for sails of glory?

2) Forts using heated shots, what would be the increases chances for fire (chit wise)?

3) what would be an accurate loss of firepower during action in high waves that require closing lower cannon ports? Which ships were susceptible to this?

4) Game effect for roping SOL together like at the Nile?

Also, as I wrap up doing the basic tactical play I am looking ahead to a campaign mode where you would sail on an open map with the fun involved of catching shipping, blockading, coastal raids, etc. Basically an encounter map which triggers the tactical gameplay. It would keep track of pounds of beef, shot, caches of water on board, prizes captured and sold off. This would then spinoff in the direction of play by forum if possible. Just dreaming here which is the first step.

For this I would need to gather a bit of data such as:

Which map areas to model first, major ports and coves, hidden shoals, fort locations. Also ranges of visibility of spotting sails during day and night and range of clear to gales and foggy. Typical average speeds for open world travel. What prominent ships were in the area of the time. I'm just throwing this out there so you can maybe ponder on some ideas.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Still working, had some family issues come up, so it may push 0.3 out a few more days.

Here is the link to version 0.29 (will have some bugs with HMI timing, highlighting, as this is work in progress) Plan is to release 0.3 with HMI more solid.
    I would only use frigates currently as the row boat for the SOL is messed up.

Tips:
    -------
    * Currently game starts with two ships loaded. To change ships click roster. To start the game click start (on right) and then click map. The application is set to use virtual play so it may not function as expected if only using the form without the map.

* When in doubt, click on a ship (if green folders come up you are in movement phase, if boxes and red/yellow lines come up you are probably in combat phase). As movement cards are selected the wind attitude indication for the ship will go away to let you know you have chosen for the ship. If you click next phase without assigning a card the ship automatically gets a forward card (unless mast damage, then you are forced to pick to go to next phase)

* To fire, hover over the ship and wait and the targets will be highlighted, move the mouse to the desired target and the target is selected with an arc. Click to change desired arc. Hover over another target ship to change selection if it is valid. If you want to select for the opposite side then click out in the ocean first to zero things out and then select the desired ship. Its better to select all for one side, then zero out with click, them select other side.

* Clicking on the ships during movement phase (green cards showing) will reveal crew planning. You can always close the map and choose things on the form and then restore the map with the map button.

* Clicking in the open ocean area will move the view (if you click in the ship base area (visible or not) it will try to select the ship not move the view)

* Keep pressing Next Phase button if it appears to do nothing as it is probably just skipping to next phase with no user input required)

* The 3 green cards are folders which contain the move cards for a Left, Middle, and Right side cards. (if you try to select a green card that is outside of the ship base then it will disappear and you cant reach it, current bug I am aware of. This will happen when you are orientated north to south)

* Cannon splashes are persistent and will not delete (haven't coded animation sequence yet)

* Enjoy!!!!

Like before: place both files in a folder and click the exe to play.

<old links removed, not latest version>

Progress Pic:
    Name:  gd28.JPG
Views: 1895
Size:  39.5 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-29-2017 at 13:35.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Name:  island fight.jpg
Views: 2768
Size:  46.1 KB

Working on Islands and that will lead in to forts.

Adding nation flags and sloops and deck G movement cards (flags still need placement work)

Name:  island2.PNG
Views: 2112
Size:  163.0 KB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Had a race around an island against my 6 yr old son. He had a few issues tacking but he figured out full sails before I did and made it up and then some. He also fired the rear batts at me a few times for 'thrust' in speed.

Finish line was through the small isles (he was brit)
    Name:  race1.jpg
Views: 1755
Size:  46.3 KB

The path around the island
    Name:  race2.jpg
Views: 1871
Size:  43.4 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-24-2017 at 15:25.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Also working on cannon fire a little more, it now shows direction towards target ship.
    Up next on the to-do list is to add some details to the water (ship wakes and wave top spectral high)
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-28-2017 at 03:38.

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alan

Its all looking extremely good so far but I have a few questions/suggestions I hope you take as intended.

Is the main screen going to be fixed to the dimensions as it is now?
    Some of the ship names are longer than the text box but its no deal breaker.

With the British/French Side boxes: Is it possible to distinguish Nationalities by text colour, so if you have a mix of French and Spanish for example you can tell names apart without clicking on the ship.

Is there a way to clear the default ship in Davy Jones' Locker?

Any plans for a save feature in case you have to stop a game part way through so you can reset at anytime?

Any way to show wind direction on the map?
    And is there a way to currently move the ship on the map to starting positions (I'm thinking for scenario design) or is that still to come.

Some or all of these you may already have on a to do list.

I've got myself a dll editor I want to try to see if I can help you to at least update the ship lists if you don't mind me helping out.
    As long as I can actually work out what I'm doing

Anyway, I always look forward to any new version you release.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Focused a bit on the water...

Name:  water1.jpg
Views: 1872
Size:  57.2 KB

and..

Name:  water2.jpg
Views: 1826
Size:  53.3 KB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by twsl View Post
    Its all looking extremely good so far but I have a few questions/suggestions I hope you take as intended.

Is the main screen going to be fixed to the dimensions as it is now?

With the British/French Side boxes: Is it possible to distinguish Nationalities by text colour, so if you have a mix of French and Spanish for example you can tell names apart without clicking on the ship.

Is there a way to clear the default ship in Davy Jones' Locker?

Any plans for a save feature in case you have to stop a game part way through so you can reset at anytime?

Any way to show wind direction on the map?
    And is there a way to currently move the ship on the map to starting positions (I'm thinking for scenario design) or is that still to come.

I've got myself a dll editor I want to try to see if I can help you to at least update the ship lists if you don't mind me helping out.

Good questions, I will address these when I get back home this evening. I can send you the dll source code if that helps.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by twsl View Post

Is the main screen going to be fixed to the dimensions as it is now? Not fixed, once I loaded the roster I found out some of the French ship names were longer. I will resize and also enable the horizontal scroll.

Yes, I added your improvements.

Is there a way to clear the default ship in Davy Jones' Locker? I need to give this some attention. It is definitely not finished

Any plans for a save feature in case you have to stop a game part way through so you can reset at anytime? Yes I do have plans but it's hard to nail this one down as I don't have a everything created yet. I could take a crack at just export/import ship damage status as a start and work up from there. It's better than not having any. One tricky thing is that I track which chit is tied to what slot so I have to export every chit in the game and what shipmat it is laying on.

Any way to show wind direction on the map? The flag on the main mast does indicate wind direction (currently wind always pointed down). I can show a weather gauge on the corner.
    And is there a way to currently move the ship on the map to starting positions (I'm thinking for scenario design) or is that still to come. I was close to adding in placement and heading setup this weekend but I had company. It is going in in the next few days. I also want to make a custom txt file for large ship rosters where you type in the name of the ship (not the official name) and then the cross referenced SoG model so it will create extras on the fly.

if you have access to visual studios I can send you the dll solution so you can add any ship you like and compile.

Thanks for the feedback on features and improvements.
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-28-2017 at 03:30.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Looking very good Aaron. I am amazed what you can do!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is a very professional touch Aaron.
    It really enhances the whole look of the display.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

11/27 Update: worked through lunch break, focus was back on game features (vice visuals)

1) I added unique nation colors to ship names belonging to the French side to help with identification (was a recent suggested addition). I also resized the ship name text box to accommodate longer names.

2) Worked on ammo type reloading. All ammo types will be in the next release.
    The reload form is both a status indication and a selection picker when it is time to choose.

Example screens:
    Showing multi nations on French side. (Note longer name textbox)
    Name:  IMG_3107.jpg
Views: 1693
Size:  97.9 KB

Showing loaded status.. clicking on battery highlights ammo type.
    Name:  IMG_3108.jpg
Views: 1685
Size:  109.3 KB

Showing an empty battery:
    Name:  IMG_3109.jpg
Views: 2179
Size:  127.7 KB

Showing Battery reloading and selection of ammo for next phase:
    Name:  IMG_3110.jpg
Views: 1816
Size:  127.0 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-27-2017 at 12:26.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

11/28 update:

Round, chain, grape, and double shot are now officially in the application and can be selected in the game supplement version (map version selection to follow). Double shot loading behaves like a delayed action (cannot be canceled on succeeding turn). The range ruler autohides for alternative ammo as it only applies to a single band.

New feature in progress: continuous fire. Continuous fire is chosen by choosing the Fire Port/Strb action when the cannons are unloaded. The user is immediately prompted for ammo type (round, chain, or grape) before further actions are selected. All that is left to do is to half the chits rounded down and apply it after raking modifiers then it will be complete. I also remember a rule where continuous and lacking combined divides by 3?

And slow reloading combined with double shot takes 4 rounds to load?

I also started adding option flags for crew and captain cards as well as lacking skill sets for gunner/crew. Some of these will be fun to implement into existing code. The trick ones are when to prompt the user to use the skill without feeling like user input spam!

-Aaron

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

11/30 update

As before drop it in a folder and run. This version creates txt files for the ships showing combat and action reports that I'm planning to use in a play by forum format. They will be placed in same folder as exe location. You can ignore these txt files.

Big Changes:
    * Optional ammo types
    * Continuous Fire Option
    * Improved graphics for Map play (performance not optimized yet)
    * Colored listbox text for different nations within French side
    * Report chit results in game log to aid in debugging
    * double clicking Hull text box shows ship log slots

Remember you can play the application with the physical ships by using the form inputs or with virtual ships in map play by pressing the map button. The map can be closed at any time to resume in form mode. The form mode is mostly completed when compared to the map.

Optional Ammo has now added a possible extra step for the reloading phase. Clicking on ship names or clicking on the ship during the reloading phase brings up interface. If this step is skipped then round shot is auto selected.

Known bugs or absent features: (mostly Map related play style)
    * cannot perform musketry fire in Map play (must use form to do this)
    * some complicated cascading ship collisions result in stacked ships
    * allied collisions does not cause damage
    * only 2 move decks modeled (A and G (sloop)).
    * Zero damage crew chits show up on artillery slots but doesn't cause issues otherwise
    * All ships look like Frigate (yes this will be enhanced later)
    * Firing arc centers for non-Frigates are not in official spot (yes it will be fixed)
    * No obstruction for line of sight (not done yet, just use your judgement)
    * no landmass collision detection (not done, just go around it)
    * no veer rules (not implimented yet)
    * Aim High not implemented
    * Hmi interaction buggy (its bare bones for now but will be enhanced)
    * Only 2 sets of chit counters. Game crashes if chits run out.
    * Long standing bug with crew action limitations (saying cannot when you can)

HMI tips for map play:
    * clicking on the top left blue panel hides it, clicking in corner reveals it.
    * hover mouse over ship during combat phase to select active ship and target selections. Clicking also works.
    * click in open space to reset HMI selected active ship
    * best progression is to select all targets for a single side first as it saves time without the reset click.
    * click on ships during planning and reloading to get prompted.
    * hover over ship during planning to see 3 movement folders, click on these to see cards.

Enjoy and report any additionl bugs in this thread.
    Last edited by Aaron; 12-03-2017 at 21:27.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

What is in store for v.40: (wish list)
    * Ship location setup (map play)
    * shoals and reefs (map play and form play)
    * more movement decks (map play)
    * some crew skills and captain/crew cards (map and form play)
    * Forts (map and form play)
    * Vanilla Solo AI (map and form play)
    * Powder Monkey AI (map play only)
    * Map and Ship visual enhancements
    * Chit counter manipulation (adds more sets)
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-29-2017 at 13:38.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Version 0.32 is available for download (see OP)

Big changes:
    * Before hitting the start button, open the map and the ships can be moved by clicking once on them then clicking on their new location, then a follow up click to point the nose. (simple). When the phase is advanced ship relocation no longer enabled.
    * AI movement is in (from roster screen click the AI checkbox.) To turn on more than one ship select the next ship then cycle the AI button off then back on (currently a bug for enabling). (movement per rules, veer 3-7, etc)
    * Under options you can select pre-made scenarios. This simply picks the ships, places them on the map, and enables AI if needed. There are no automatic win conditions, you just play it out as you would a table top. (currently one only loaded)
    * Added red boundary lines on map to bound the game (ship movement outside this does nothing currently)
    * Showing ship name, artillery, hull and crew status over on the left side (these will be clickable later to go to the ship on the map)

notes:
    - ignore the rowboat and small island, that is there for test and does not do anything yet (future work)
    - HMI clicking and hovering still problematic (will address soon)
    - My new son will be here in late January so work will slow down after that point

Know issues:
    * Struck ships hull status info stays up on the left (also doesn't show last cycle of damage after struck)
    * Some ship collisions are not detected (rare cases of complete crossing "X" overlap is one such case)
    Last edited by Aaron; 12-03-2017 at 21:31.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Not much to report as work was hectic yesterday and I didn’t get to use my lunch break for sailing the high seas.

However, today I did get to code in some sail shaders for the main and mizzen. I didn’t get to tune it much but differing shades of color makes the sails look less flat.
    Name:  5EF709D0-8776-4776-939F-37B207A793C4.jpeg
Views: 1747
Size:  23.4 KB

Also,
    Two boosts in HMI interfacing:
    1) I added the ability to snap the view to a ship by clicking on the status tree on the left.

2) redesigning the movement card selection process. The cards will now ‘fan’ out in a semicircle. I hope to get rid of the green folder system that is in place currently.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

12-10-17 Update:
    —————————————-
    1) Worked on sail visuals (making progress)
    2) Finished deck D data entry for normal and taken aback movement.
    3) Fixed a data entry issue with blockade scenario (ship name was missing year thus defaulting it to British nation)

Big on horizon: (beyond tactical play)
    ————————————
    1) I started a historical ship database. This database tracks a ship from it being laid out, to completion, commission, recommisions, paid off, and finally the fate. It also tracks when it is captured and recaptured between nations. I am using Wikipedia currently for the input data. I have over 120 ship names entered so far. I am going to turn this into a database application so others can share with the data entry if they are so inclined.

Why am I doing this? This database will drive the ships and fleets displayed in the world map. Thus, you can pick a date and all the ships will be placed in their rightful place (port, blockade, wrecked, paid off). This will be a novel approach to connecting the tactical play of SoG with real historical situations (in lieu of a bunch of campaign rules). Obviously the one sidedness of history will also be preserved so not all will be balanced play. But this more for historical preservation and study.

Once a good database is established then I will expand into more campaign options.

2) I started building a designer tool for accurate coastline and ports. This tool uses background images to aid in the shaping of the coastline and port shapes. This will then tie into the database of ships to eventually replay out history of what all happened around the age of sail.

I am focusing on the Portsmouth and French coastline as a starting point. Progress pictures to follow this week.

Let me know if you are interested in ship data entries.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Where are you getting you charts for the ports Aaron. Remember many have changed substantially since the 1800s due to expansion, disuse silting up etc.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Beyond google image search getting lucky.. I do not have any. I haven’t gotten to a port side of things yet though.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Some of these may give you a starting point although many are on far too small a scale. There are a few gems.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rls=....0.GSNvJK0D-Go

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ol...w=1097&bih=474

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rls=....0.f_IcCAg0vag

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-11-2017 at 13:32.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Some of these may give you a starting point although many are on far too small a scale. There are a few gems.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rls=....0.GSNvJK0D-Go

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ol...w=1097&bih=474

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rls=....0.f_IcCAg0vag

Rob.
    Thank you for the links. Also, you may know there is a thread about ship stats where only official stats committee members are allowed to post. There seems to be many broken links and I am starting the collection process for unofficial ships. Is there a working list somewhere?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

12/14/17 Update:
    -------------------------

I'm working several things in parallel. A World map and a database of ships and battles/actions that took place. Everything is early and crude but as before it will slowly take its own shape.

example: part of the world map, can you guess where this is at:
    Name:  showmap.jpg
Views: 2334
Size:  44.6 KB

Tools: (Showing defining yellow nodes around googlemaps image to get the correct coastline)
    Name:  A2448065-A3AB-43F6-81DB-67CDF3E3A765.jpg
Views: 1945
Size:  94.2 KB

The completed maps are vector based using nodes, therefore they can be zoomed in on and made into tactical play areas with very little extra work
    This is showing a background image that I used to place the nodes about.
    Name:  show3.jpg
Views: 1783
Size:  110.6 KB

Now on to the current state of the Database:
    (table of ship captains)
    Name:  38789D80-BFD9-4694-9C30-BE9D84C2BF50.jpeg
Views: 1679
Size:  66.7 KB

(table of actions or events)
    Name:  87683FBC-4C3C-47FF-91ED-399ED1D8F4C1.jpg
Views: 1603
Size:  181.7 KB

(part of the table of unique ships)
    Name:  B896F174-E272-48D3-BEAA-F839D129C951.png
Views: 1757
Size:  59.7 KB

Here is the example of a user form I am creating that takes the tables above and displays it in a manner to help add actions, ships, and changes to the ship throughout its life:
    (The idea is to make this straightforward so an ambitious individual can help add content)
    Name:  show2.jpg
Views: 1826
Size:  86.2 KB
    This is showing a french ship that was captured by the british (3 ships) and then under the british flag goes on to capture another in 1794.
    Last edited by Aaron; 12-14-2017 at 19:39.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

and here is the current ship roster: (name changes of ships are not shown here, only original)

Achille,Aigle,Algésiras,Aquilon,Ardent,Arethusa,Argonauta,Argonaute,Argus,Artémise
    Auguste,Bahama,Belleisle,Berwick,Bourgogne,Brave
    Bravoure,Brutus,Bucentaure,Caton,Cérès,César,Charmante,Citoyen,Conquérant,Cornélie
    Couronne,Dauphin Royal,Dédaigneuse,Destin
    Diadème,Diane,Duc de Bourgogne,Duguay Trouin
    Eclatant,Engageante,Entreprenante,Éveillé
    Experiment,Fier,Formidable,Fougueux
    Franklin,Furet,Généreux,Gentille
    Glorieux,Guerrier,Guillaume Tell,Hector
    Hercule,Hermione,Héros,Heureux,HMS Achille
    HMS Active,HMS Africa,HMS Agamemnon,HMS Ajax
    HMS Alcide,HMS Alexander,HMS Alfred,HMS Amazon
    HMS America,HMS Amphion,HMS Anson,HMS Aquilon
    HMS Argus,HMS Arrogant,HMS Artois,HMS Astrea
    HMS Audacious,HMS Babet,HMS Barfleur,HMS Bedford
    HMS Bellerophon,HMS Belliqueux,HMS Bonetta,HMS Britannia
    HMS Canada,HMS Centaur,HMS Ceres,HMS Ceres
    HMS Charon,HMS Chatham,HMS Circe,HMS Colossus
    HMS Conqueror,HMS Culloden,HMS Defence,HMS Defiance
    HMS Diamond,HMS Dolly,HMS Dreadnought,HMS Druid
    HMS Duke,HMS Echo,HMS Euryalus,HMS Fame
    HMS Flora,HMS Formidable,HMS Galatea,HMS Goliath
    HMS Hercules,HMS Incendiary,HMS Indefatigable,HMS Irresistible
    HMS Jason,HMS Leander,HMS Leviathan,HMS London
    HMS Maegera,HMS Magnanime,HMS Magnificent,HMS Majestic
    HMS Marlborough,HMS Mars,HMS Minerva,HMS Minotaur
    HMS Monarch,HMS Montagu,HMS Mutine,HMS Naiad
    HMS Namur,HMS Nonsuch,HMS Orion,HMS Phoebe
    HMS Pickle,HMS Polyphemus,HMS Prince,HMS Prince George
    HMS Prince of Wales,HMS Prince William
    HMS Princessa,HMS Prothee,HMS Queen,HMS Queen Charlotte
    HMS Repulse,HMS Resolution,HMS Revenge,HMS Royal George
    HMS Royal Oak,HMS Royal Sovereign,HMS Russell,HMS Sans Pareil
    HMS Shark,HMS Sheerness,HMS Sirius,HMS St Albans
    HMS Swiftsure,HMS Téméraire,HMS Thalia,HMS Thames
    HMS Theseus,HMS Thunderer,HMS Torbay,HMS Valiant
    HMS Vanguard,HMS Venus,HMS Victory,HMS Warrior
    HMS Yarmouth,HMS Zealous,Hortense,Indomptable
    Intrépide,Jason,Jean-Jacques Rousseau,Juno
    Justice,La Nymphe,La Sémillante,Languedoc
    Le Concorde,Lexington,Lively Buckskin,Magnanime
    Magnifique,Marseillais,Mercure,Minerve
    Molly,Monarca,Mont Blanc,Montañés
    Neptune,Neptune,Northumberland,Nuestra Señora de la Santísima Trinidad
    Orient,Palmier,Pelican,Peuple Souverain
    Pluton,Principe de Asturias
    Racoon,Rayo,Redoutable,Réfléchi
    Regeneration,Révolutionnaire
    Rhin,Richemond,Royal Louis,Sagesse
    San Agustin,San Francisco de Asis
    San Ildefonso,San Juan Nepomuceno
    San Justo,San Leandro,Santa Ana,Sceptre,Scévola,Scipion,Scipion (1779),Sérieuse
    Souverain,Spartiate,Swiftsure,Temeraire
    Thémis,Timoléon,Tonnant,Triomphant
    Ville de Paris,Viper,Virginie,Volage,Zeelilee, Zélé

As a bonus for making it to the bottom of the list... a screen grab of my improved sails in Full trim:
    Name:  show4.jpg
Views: 1721
Size:  82.4 KB

Cheers!! (back to work)
    Last edited by Aaron; 12-14-2017 at 19:33.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

If you are turning the sails according to wind you should turn the sails further. It looks like the ship is supposed to be sailing close hauled according to the pennant. Then the sails would be turned more.

This basically shows how the sails need to be set and also why a modern sailboat can sail closer to the wind.

Name:  sails.gif
Views: 1540
Size:  22.4 KB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Thanks for the diagram. I knew there was angle tweaking left to do and this is the reason I post update progress here is for the critiques.

Currently:
    The sails (aside from running and taken aback) just adjust parallel to the wind. I knew it wasn’t perfect but it is the way I program so that I make a lot of progress and with progress I pick up new ideas or may change creative direction so I won’t waste too much time and or get mired in the details and progress grinds to a halt. Then usually what happens is later while working on some other feature I get tired of seeing it wrong and I tackle it.

Name:  show5.jpg
Views: 1700
Size:  82.1 KB

My Final Vision to come:
    The end result will mirror your diagram. Plus, I will add a little angle to the pennant to deviate it slightly from the wind direction to account for the ships speed ( true wind direction?)

Cheers!
    Last edited by Aaron; 12-15-2017 at 06:16.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

I roughly carved out most of first campaign area. I will detail out the French and Spanish coasts after lunch. I want to also take a stab at the west indies.

Name:  showmap2.jpg
Views: 1660
Size:  54.6 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Here you can see the angle of the sails when close hauled. You can see the direction of the wind on the little red "pennant" at the top of the mast. The colours is not quite following the direction of the wind due to the sails redirecting the wind some. It'd be more prominent if we had set the spanker.

Name:  closehauled.jpg
Views: 1797
Size:  167.2 KB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

nice reference, they sure are orientated over quite a bit

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Things are looking better..... need to try building a port , shallow waters, shoals and a fort or two and see how it plays soon.

Added more details and islands
    Name:  show6.jpg
Views: 1904
Size:  54.4 KB

adding detail to port locations
    Name:  show7.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  39.8 KB

Changed the look to more age of sail:
    Name:  show8.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  83.2 KB

Zooming in reveals more detail around port areas:
    Name:  show9.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  68.3 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 12-15-2017 at 21:36.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Last one for the night.. tomorrow morning will be west indies time

Battle of the Nile Location: (Aboukir Bay)
    Name:  show10.jpg
Views: 1710
Size:  54.9 KB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Update: Your virtual worker bee is up and running strong this morning. The West Indies map is going nicely. I am starting to prefer a little less nodes and more abstract for these maps.

Get your ballast and cannons loaded on your frigates Captains, there's plenty of enemy merchants to claim and share.
    Name:  show11.jpg
Views: 1649
Size:  86.0 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 12-16-2017 at 06:07.