Thread: SoG Game Tracker App (windows)

Threaded View

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Something I've been working on over the last week is how ships used their anchors and the physics involved. I have a single anchor working at the moment. It will drag along the bottom if pulled on too much, once it has a good bite it will limit the travel of the ship around the radius but the ship can still rotate and shear around with the wind and current. The cable can be hauled on and the ship brought above the anchor point where it will then win the anchor. I am going to add a second anchor to allow a mooring setup and a spring cable to control the ship rotation. You can also slip/cut the anchor in emergencies. This was a detail I wanted to capture rather accurately. I will consider it a success when the anchor physics is adequate to perform a club-hauling emergency maneuver.

Here's a quick shot of a ship under a lee shore just securing the run of cable. (the white line). The gray line showing velocity direction is now tangent to the anchor line thus confining radial position to the anchor point.
    Name:  anchor.png
Views: 909
Size:  17.2 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 09-17-2018 at 05:34.