Hybrid View

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Good to hear from you again Jim, and glad for your comments on the tracker.
    Aaron has put a heck of a lot of work into this project and your favourable comments from a man who has so much experience of ploughing the virtual seas is invaluable.
    Do keep in touch from time to time. I really enjoyed the posts you shared with us from your computerized Naval actions. It was a great pity that they spoilt it for you by changing the parameters of the game.
    Best wishes for 2018.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob. Happy New Years to you as well. There is news on Naval Action which I've posted in the original thread (linked below). I will check back regularly to see how Aaron progresses with this tracker. Thanks!

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...5532#post75532
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Progress Update: The ship physics are moving right along. I am learning about sailing and coding at the same time. I just completed the first of the ship’s moment calculations, that being the sail plan moment about the center of gravity and the reactive heel force about the hulls wetted geometric lateral resistance center. When the net of these two moments are nonzero the ship will want to turn in the direction of the imbalance, which then will require helm to correct.

I still have to model the stays and the spanker but the groundwork has been completed.

Here is an example of a frigate showing the mast forces and the corresponding moment calculations showing a slight negative imbalance (ship would tend to turn counterclockwise - windward in this example)
    Name:  1B336887-225C-4318-BE7D-AC6AFE32F74A.jpeg
Views: 915
Size:  41.0 KB

BTW, my wife is due this month so when the newborn arrives my progress will be derailed for a time.
    Last edited by Aaron; 01-03-2018 at 13:58.