Thread: Newbie purchasing question

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tom Koziatek

Default Newbie purchasing question

I've been looking at the game and the starter, and decided to pick up the game and give it a shot. I've also recently gotten into WoG (both WW1 and 2), and love the system.

My initial purchase will be from an online store, our local FLGS quit stocking these some time ago. My question, is what to add to the starter to expand it out a notch? I'll be the only one purchasing. I just need another $40 (tops 60) to avoid shipping charges.

I believe both French and British are included, so is it better to add to those (maybe the Victory pack and a comparable Frenchie), or branch out to the US, with the most impressive USS Constitution? Or some combo of such?

Also, as I know next to nothing about sailing ships nor this games options, is there a list hereabouts that covers all the ships available, and maybe a rough grouping? WoG did that, grouped planes into 4-5 sections where planes in one section were roughly equivalent. I know neither game has a points option.

Lastly, I read that there was possibly a new starter coming out this summer, and maybe a new wave of ships? Is the starter a pure reprint, or a reboot with added/cleaned up rules? Different ships? And whats in the new wave?

I think thats it for now, the guy behind me on the plank keeps telling me to jump for some reason...
    -Kozi

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Starter Sets being released this Summer are reprints of the original Starter Set.

If you go to the Ares Games website, you can download a points table giving their assessment of the comparable values of ships. http://www.aresgames.eu/category/dow...of-glory-games

On other parts of their site they have points tables for Wings of Glory aircraft and lists of which models they think are still available.

As for suggestions about what to buy next, firstly, have you noticed that the Anchorage store is holding a sale? Secondly, I suggest that you concentrate on Ships of the Line and Frigates. H.M.S. Victory and U.S.S. Constitution are likely to become collectors items. If you buy an H.M.S. Victory model, you will need a French or Spanish three-decker to fight it. I would say that U.S.S. Constitution is a little tricky to fit in with others, if you are a stickler for historical accuracy. It is a nice model to own but you would be looking at single ship actions unless you have 'everyone against the British'. It is tougher than most other frigates. A 64 gun ship of the line might be a more worthy opponent for it.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tom Koziatek

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    The Starter Sets being released this Summer are reprints of the original Starter Set.

If you go to the Ares Games website, you can download a points table giving their assessment of the comparable values of ships. http://www.aresgames.eu/category/dow...of-glory-games

On other parts of their site they have points tables for Wings of Glory aircraft and lists of which models they think are still available.

As for suggestions about what to buy next, firstly, have you noticed that the Anchorage store is holding a sale? Secondly, I suggest that you concentrate on Ships of the Line and Frigates. H.M.S. Victory and U.S.S. Constitution are likely to become collectors items. If you buy an H.M.S. Victory model, you will need a French or Spanish three-decker to fight it. I would say that U.S.S. Constitution is a little tricky to fit in with others, if you are a stickler for historical accuracy. It is a nice model to own but you would be looking at single ship actions unless you have 'everyone against the British'. It is tougher than most other frigates. A 64 gun ship of the line might be a more worthy opponent for it.
    Thanks for the reply! I did get the starter, Victory and Constitution, adding the Orient and Thorn. No stickler for accuracy here, this is just a game to me. The most I know of sailing is Sid Meiers Pirates! game... :)

Also, is there a brief source on what these ships are? I'm comfy with WW1 and 2, but 1st, 2nd, 3rd rate, frigates, etc mean little.... Adding in spanking, jibs, kizzens, etc, just translates as Greek. And unless it's 'HMS", I have no idea what ship belongs to who...

SO, when looking for advice on next ships to get, whether it be for fighting or the 'cost likely to be collectors items/highly wanted', names are better for me.

(Edit) I looked at the sale, and there are only a few items left. MM and CSI still have fair stock, but thanks...
    Last edited by tkoziate; 08-05-2017 at 18:01.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This Wikipedia article will explain about the Rating System for ships: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rating...the_Royal_Navy

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

In my short time of playing the game I find I can manage to play 1 ship of the line or 2 x Frigates/Sloops.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You will find it easier to manage more ships as you get the hang of the rules and get a system of doing things in order.
    In a solo game, I now manage up to six ships a side with the reduced ship cards from the files section in use, and I'm sure there are shipmates who have managed more.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tom Koziatek

What ships come with the starter? My initial goal is to have one of each ship ranking to begin with. I added to my initial order Spanish ships (a 1, 3 and 5), and a Frenchie and Brit frigate.

There are two 5th rate frigates (Concorde class - French, and Amazon class - British) and two 3rd rate ships of the line (Bellona class - British, Temeraire class - French).

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tom Koziatek

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    There are two 5th rate frigates (Concorde class - French, and Amazon class - British) and two 3rd rate ships of the line (Bellona class - British, Temeraire class - French).
    Ok, now I'm confused, as I pulled the following info from an Amazon review of the starter:

Each set comes with two 64 gun frigates....British one can be named either Defense or Vanguard, the French ship named Genereux or Aquilon.
    two 48 gun frigates....British either Terpsechore or Meleager, French Unite or Courage
    The counters for the ships have a flip side with the secondary names I have listed.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well Amazon is wrong Tom and Ryan is correct.
    Two 74s as named and two Frigates. Terpsichore/ Meleager 32. Unite 32 /Courageuse 34.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tom Koziatek

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Well Amazon is wrong Tom and Ryan is correct.
    Two 74s as named and two Frigates. Terpsichore/ Meleager 32. Unite 32 /Courageuse 34.
    Rob.
    Many thanks, gents !!! All this new info is enough without adding in conflicts... :)

So, in addition to the starter, I added Orpheus/Amphion, VIctory, Orient, Dryade, and Cleopatra. For the Spanish I added Principe, Argonauta, and Sirena. Anything immediately lacking for the big three to play a small squadron?

And, one more question, is there a list of whats in the new wave due out? I'd like to review before deciding to just get a few or go for broke and get the full wave.

You can look at the Ares site to get a full list of all the ship "classes", each of which comes with three different ships (basically just three different color schemes, with a card that has two different ship names on it). Here is a list of all the available classes of ships:

http://www.aresgames.eu/games/sails-...ory-ship-packs

For reference, a class is a number of ships built with the same lines (think plan or blueprint). Each class had any number of ships built as part of it, some had a few (as little as one in some cases), other classes had a hundred or more. It really just depended.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Keith has the full list of the new ships to pre order on the Anchorage Store Tom. You can look at the further info to get a short history of each ship.
    Rob.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tom Koziatek

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    Whats the actual name of the Amazon class ships? Searching turns out no SoG ships named Amazon...

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tom Koziatek

Quote Originally Posted by tkoziate View Post
    Ok, now I'm confused, as I pulled the following info from an Amazon review of the starter:

Each set comes with two 64 gun frigates....British one can be named either Defense or Vanguard, the French ship named Genereux or Aquilon.
    two 48 gun frigates....British either Terpsechore or Meleager, French Unite or Courage
    The counters for the ships have a flip side with the secondary names I have listed.
    Even more oddness, watching an old review on the geek shows an unboxing, and one of the ship cards shown is the Vanguard, not the ones listed here. Another was the Genereux. Were there multiple variants of the starter printed?
    Last edited by tkoziate; 08-07-2017 at 13:09.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Terpsichore/ Meleager are the Amazon class Tom.
    This may also be of use in the files section.

http://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=77

Rob.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tom Koziatek

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Terpsichore/ Meleager are the Amazon class Tom.
    This may also be of use in the files section.

http://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=77

Rob.
    How does this correlate to the unboxing showing the Vanguard Genereux?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Genereux / Aquilon are the French 74s.

Vanguard/ Defence are the British 74s.

Rob.