Thread: New Ship Mats

Default New Ship Mats

A while back (long while) I posted a WIP of some ship mats I was working on. Some sails were spotted on the horizon this morning, so I thought I'd post my ship mats again as these two ships are likely to do battle later today....

The colors print out wonderfully in real life, these images come across a bit "bright". They have a much more faded and worn look when I print them on my color laser, I'll see if I can snap a picture of a printed mat.

Name:  HMS Ampion Sails of Glory Ship Mat.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  206.3 KBName:  Courageuse Sails of Glory Ship Mat.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  203.1 KB
    Last edited by The Mad Hatter; 08-05-2017 at 10:57.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Very nice indeed. What software are you using to make those?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I like the cut of your jib Midshipman Ryan.
    I see you progressing far in this Navy should you live.
    Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

I use Photoshop for this stuff.

I also have some modified cards I've been working on that have some narrower firing arcs. I've also been toying with changing the wind lines on the card borders, to make them more realistic in their sailing qualities. The only problem is that all square riggers were limited to about six points to either side of the wind direction, so you lose the current feel that frigates and the like can sail closer to the wind. I'm still undecided on that, but will probably do away with this as it could have repercussions on the movement cards as well.

Here is a photo of the mat, better represents how they look in person.

Name:  image7.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  212.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

They certainly look great Ryan.
    The only down side for me is that I would need about 100 of them.
    i do like the idea of not having to place inserts however.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Ryan Could you please make up one for a RN generic Bomb Ketch?

Rob - I know what you mean. So far I've got sheets for every named Arrogant, Bellona, and Elizabeth class 74 that was made. I'm working my way through other stuff. I probably won't do EVERY Leda class for example as there are 47 of them, but usually I do about 8-10 ships of each class (or the full class if around that number). Since I'm making them myself, once I get the main sheet setup for whatever class, it's just a simple name change. And since I print them out, can have as many as I want.

The pain part is each one gets printed on card stock and needs to be cut out using a steel straight edge and razor. I then take a sharpie and color the edges of the stock black as well, just to classy it up a bit more. Eventually I'll have well over a hundred made.

Killick - sure, I could make one for a generic RN bomb ketch, you'd just have to provide the stats you want for it.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Wow Ryan that is some task.
    Any chance of posting them to the Files with the Font names you use.
    Then anyone with Photoshop can customise their own from your magnificent set.
    Rob.