Thread: Reporting aboard from Northern Virginia

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Christopher

Default Reporting aboard from Northern Virginia

I am glad to be aboard. Such a nice welcome, and a very organized and active community here.

I have been a gamer for 40 years and absolutely love the Napoleonic era and the age of sail. I am about to start the O'Brian series for the third time, and I of course have quite a selection of movies and books on the era. I love war and board games of all types but I am certainly bitten by the SoG bug lately.

It all started when a gaming buddy of mine recommending attending Historicon in Fredericksburg a couple of weeks ago. First off, although I have been a gamer for most of my life I had never been to a gaming convention. I (and my friends and 10 year old son) loved it!

I was especially taken with a game like Sails of Glory (follow the admiral's wake I think). The models were beautiful and the system was elegant. I also enjoyed watching a WoG WWII battle. I immediately went home and started researching age of sail games and Sails of Glory seemed the clear favorite. I ordered the starter set and have been a bit obsessive since. I have played exactly one battle, with the starter ships. We both had a blast and I have three other gaming friends eager to join in so this is just the start.

Something else I also never did before? Make my own 3D terrain. Thanks to You Tube I started making islands and after a nice set of five islands I plan on reconstructing 3D models of the terrain and forts sets (that incidentally our impossible to find) to play with.

As to me personally, I am retired Army and although I love playing in the mud (or flying over it) I always loved ships. A couple of years ago I found out I am a direct descendent of Oliver Hazard Perry so I do have some salt in my blood somewhere.

I look forward to my continued enjoyment of this great game.

OHPerry
    (Chris)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi again Chris.
    First of all I can now welcome you officially to the Anchorage on behalf of the many Officers serving in all our fleets, and welcome you to the Wardroom for a bevy or three.
    Also you may find this article which I added a few weeks ago of some interest. it is based on the official coastline cards which I traced around for my templates.

http://sailsofglory.org/content.php?6-kit-building

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Welcome Chris, from another Chris over the pond in Bristol, any questions , hints or tips just shout

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Morning Chris (Perry)
    My good Lady ( Speedwell Lass) reminded me to mention that we were in Virginia two years ago to witness the French Frigate Hermione dock at Yorktown, and spend a very enjoyable week in Colonial Williamsburg and its locale.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0156.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	31534

Here I am with my model of the Hermione in front of the actual ship.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3359.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	31535

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Christopher, from over here in the U.K..

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Welcome aboard from Boise!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Welcome to the Anchorage, from Sweden!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest Christopher.