Thread: SoG: Effectively closed to newbies?

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eris

Default SoG: Effectively closed to newbies?

After owning the Starter Set for a couple of years (and having a lot of fun with it), my husband and I are finally considering expanding the game a bit. But to our frustration, almost every game accessory ever printed seems to be out of print. No coastal batteries, no shoals, and no way to incorporate more than four ships at a time in a scenario.

At least we're lucky enough to own the Starter Set, but even that's out of print, it seems. So my question is -- is it possible for a beginner to get into Sails of Glory anymore? If so, how?

Thanks.

Eris

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Eris, there's a Starter Reprint coming this summer. (Disappointingly, they did not take my suggestion about making a second SKU with new names and paint on the same sculpts.) Have you checked Cool Stuff Inc or Miniature Market?

Version I'm hearing is B&M's are refusing to stock Ares from "low demand" and "they Kickstarter, screw those guys." I'll drop a suggestion to Roberto about the accessory packs, but last time I checked they were still lasted as "in stock at warehouse."
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Anchorage Store (see top of page) have some additional counter sets and as an emergency measure I scanned some ship mats into my computer and printed them onto card. So with a little work you could add some extra ships, Eris. Also, if you browse the Files section, you may find some things there, which you can use.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eris

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Have you checked Cool Stuff Inc or Miniature Market?
    Yep. Checked them both. Nobody has "Ship Mats", "Coastal Batteries", or "Coasts and Shoals". And maybe there'll be more starter sets in the future, but not any now.

I'll check the file section, as suggested, and see what turns up. Thanks again.

I'm just afraid this great game is, without reprints of the necessities, going to dry up and become something only collectors can play.

Eris

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Eris.
    If you don't mind ordering from the U.K. Green knight games have the ship mats in stock.

http://www.greenknightgames.co.uk/se...+glory&x=6&y=6

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Ship Mats, Counter Sets and Counter Bags are still in the Warehouse. Terrain Packs are sold out, so I'll ask Rob about a reprint on those.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

I have been fortunate in Australia as I only started playing 2 months ago and alreay been able to get 2 starter packs (though one was for a shipmate) and about 12 other ships. Admitidly most were the last ones in the store. The one thing about Australia is that there are very few store that stock Sails of Glory and Wings of Glory (Admitidly the service provided by these stores is very good) but stuff sells fast so you are forced to go oversea's the get the items you want. In my case I almost allways go the the States and England, but never go to evil bay.
    Last edited by Killick; 07-08-2017 at 05:24.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

The Starter Sets are now available again at last. Mine is being shipped as we speak. Hopefully the accessories will be back in production again soon as well.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Mark. May I suggest that you go to the Welcome Aboard section and introduce yourself. People here are very friendly and willing to answer any questions you may have about the game.

Eris, according to their website Caliver Books in the U.K. have at least one Coasts and Shoals Terrain Pack for sale but of course there is the postage from the U.K. to be added to the price.
    http://www.caliverbooks.com/figures/...oleonic&menu=4

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I actually send a PM to each new member when they register with the suggestion on it Dave.
    If you want to see a copy I can send it to you.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Thank you for the reception David, and you too Rob for the email. I'm not always one to post on such welcome aboard topics, preferring just to lurk and lay low unless I have a specific issue. Perhaps I'll take you up on the recommendation this time.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My pleasure Mark.

Let me now formally welcome you to the Anchorage on behalf of the British Fleet.
    Do join me in the Great Cabin for a drop of Port, and a chinwag.
    Bligh.

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Pellew View Post
    The Starter Sets are now available again at last. Mine is being shipped as we speak. Hopefully the accessories will be back in production again soon as well.
    Where?!?!