Thread: Tweaked Sailing Angles

Hybrid View

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Any chance you could do one for a lateen rig? (Pretty please).

Neil

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Union Jack View Post
    Any chance you could do one for a lateen rig? (Pretty please).

Neil
    I certainly could. What sort of ship would this lateen rig be on, and if you have a specific name , I can put that on the card.

Bear in mind, that using these cards against standard SoG ships would put the ships using them at a serious disadvantage. Using my re-worked cards, a Concorde class frigate sails angles comparable to a 3rd rate in the original SoG cards.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I certainly could. What sort of ship would this lateen rig be on, and if you have a specific name , I can put that on the card.

Bear in mind, that using these cards against standard SoG ships would put the ships using them at a serious disadvantage. Using my re-worked cards, a Concorde class frigate sails angles comparable to a 3rd rate in the original SoG cards.
    I have been pondering the lateen rig, and see two options: 1) If the boat were tacked without dipping the yard, the boat would sail worse on one tack than the other. 2) If the yard was dipped around the mast, it would sail the same on both tacks, but spend more time in a red zone or something.

I can't find any reference for large fully lateen rigged boats, so if anyone has any feedback, I'd love to hear it. The biggest I've found so far would be caravels, which kind of predate our game and aren't very large. For our purposes, I'm picturing a Sloop of War with a lateen rig, but I don't know what the class would be called, or what nationality would own it.