Page 32 of 54 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,600 of 2681

Thread: Nautical related Taverns.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  Upper_Street,_Islington.jpg
Views: 5535
Size:  19.7 KB

Name:  venue-978-1.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  145.7 KB

Upper Street Islington.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Barracuda in Middlesborough.

Name:  10602518ldc178944.jpg
Views: 1914
Size:  60.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  upperdeck_main.jpg
Views: 2105
Size:  190.9 KB
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Barracuda Bar in Paris, France.

Name:  BarracudaBar.jpg
Views: 4358
Size:  9.7 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  Uxbridge.jpg
Views: 1969
Size:  17.8 KB
    Uxbridge.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  pic1517.jpg
Views: 1823
Size:  22.7 KB

Name:  Vauxhall bridge..jpg
Views: 1930
Size:  33.0 KB

Vauxhall

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Barracuda Bar in Santa Margalida, Majorca, Spain.

Name:  getlstd-property-photo.jpg
Views: 2009
Size:  63.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  22856_564d221e.jpg
Views: 1793
Size:  15.8 KB

Name:  HMSWindsorCastle1852_750.jpg
Views: 7780
Size:  44.3 KB
    HMS Windsor Castle.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Barracuda Bar & Pub in Porvoo near Helsinki, Finland.

Name:  201410011023233_imagen.jpg
Views: 2102
Size:  18.7 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  venice-whaler-bar-grill.jpg
Views: 4595
Size:  45.5 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Barracuda Bar in Bolton, Lancashire.

Name:  10483966ldc950398.jpg
Views: 2092
Size:  56.5 KB

Misconduct Tavern Philadelphia PA - Nautical themed pub - interior resembles saloon of a ship as well. Also it is the local Arsenal supporters club pub. That why we were there this weekend - North London derby. Go on you Gunners!

Name:  Misconduct1.jpg
Views: 2168
Size:  211.0 KB

Name:  Misconduct2.jpg
Views: 2391
Size:  190.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  untitled.png
Views: 2075
Size:  123.4 KB

Name:  view-from-dining-on-the.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  39.9 KB

Baltimore.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Barracuda Bar on Lamai Beach, Maret, Koh Samui, Thailand.

Name:  p_0001.jpg
Views: 1873
Size:  74.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  wakefield.jpg
Views: 1853
Size:  70.3 KB

Wakefield.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  4265_front.jpg
Views: 1704
Size:  101.8 KB

Name:  220px-Resolution_.jpg
Views: 2378
Size:  13.7 KB

HMS Resolution was a sloop of the Royal Navy, a converted merchant collier purchased by the Navy and adapted, in which Captain James Cook made his second and third voyages of exploration in the Pacific. She impressed him enough that he called her "the ship of my choice", and "the fittest for service of any I have seen."
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-06-2019 at 01:18.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Barracuda Cafe & Bar in Interlaken, Switzerland.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1986
Size:  57.7 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Barracuda Bar in Brighouse, West Yorkshire.

Name:  130208-barracuda.jpg
Views: 1845
Size:  55.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  untitled.png
Views: 2010
Size:  107.7 KB

Name:  Kepple at Deal.jpg
Views: 3830
Size:  5.9 KB

Deal.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Something a bit different for today but I felt it was pertinent.

DECLINE OF NAVAL PUBS.

The Death of the Naval Pub.

12/05/2014 by J D Davies

MPs, newspaper columnists and bloggers galore have sounded off on the subject of the reasons for the decline of the British pub. No doubt sociologists aplenty have written, or are writing, weighty doctoral theses on the subject. Even I had my two penn’orth a few years back, in my old blog . (And if you really have too much time on your hands and want to read my thoughts, they’re here and here – although it’s interesting that in the four years or so since I wrote those posts, binge drinking itself, and the violence fuelled by it, have gone into a steep decline in their turn.) But as far as I’m aware – and I’d be delighted if somebody out there proves me wrong – nobody has yet explored the demise of an important, but sorely neglected, sub-species of the British pub: the good, old-fashioned, naval boozer.
    First, a definition or two – just what is a ‘naval pub’? For the purposes of this post, I’ll cast the net widely. Obviously, there are the pubs that are, or were, frequented by large numbers of serving sailors. The problem with this category, of course, is that there simply aren’t ‘large numbers of serving sailors’ any more, and if one believes what one reads (and even the navy’s own publicity), many of the current crop are more likely to be listening to their iPods or reading The Guardian‘s fashion pages while sipping cappuccinos than throwing eight pints down their necks in the Admiral Napier. As a result, many of the countless pubs that catered to naval personnel in the dockyard towns have fallen by the wayside. A classic example is the decline of the once-notorious Union Street in Plymouth, which I knew a little in the 1980s, long after its heyday, while following the closure of the dockyard in 1984, Chatham lost such evocative naval names as the Boatswain and Call, the Lord Duncan, and the Shipwrights Arms.

Name:  bthorpe6.jpg
Views: 2125
Size:  71.5 KB

The Lord Nelson, Burnham Thorpe

The second category consists of pubs with genuine roots in naval history. Perhaps the classic example of this genre would be the Lord Nelson at Burnham Thorpe in Norfolk: the pub where Nelson himself drank (indeed, it now markets itself as ‘Nelson’s local’), in his own home village, and the first one in Britain to be renamed after him following his death. But there are plenty of other pubs with Nelson connections, such as the Royal Hotel in Deal, where he stayed with Emma Hamilton, and the Lord Nelson at Milford Haven, where in 1802 he delivered a speech extolling the virtues of the great Welsh natural harbour. Another great pub steeped in naval history is the Trafalgar Tavern in Greenwich, right next to the Old Royal Naval College (or as it’s better known these days, ‘that place that turns up in pretty much every blockbuster movie’). But since the navy moved out of the college, the pub seems to have become a bit neglectful of its naval heritage; and perhaps the surest sign of its decline is that on one recent occasion when I went in there, another of the customers was Graham Norton.
    My third and final category would be pubs with naval names. In the dockyard towns, there’s a considerable overlap with the first category; in Portsmouth until quite recently, for instance, Jack Tar could stagger from the Ship Anson to the Ship Leopard to the Keppel’s Head to the Victory, and then round the corner to the Royal George and the Invincible, all of which were within roughly a 300 yard radius of each other, immediately outside the dockyard gate. There used to be quite a few more in the same vicinity, and the principal street name, The Hard, inadvertently gave a pretty good pointer toward the sort of behaviour to be expected in the area on a Saturday night. But the naval name used to be a common feature of towns throughout the country. My own home town, Llanelli, was a port, but it had hardly any direct connections with the navy. Even so, at one time it had a Britannia Hotel, a Lord Nelson, a British Tar, a Trafalgar Inn and a Neptune Inn, as well as many more pubs with ‘maritime’ names, like the Ship, the Sailors Home, the Steam Packet, the Sloop Aground and The Three Mariners. Pubs called the Lord Nelson were everywhere; until relatively recently, there was even one in Stourport-in-Severn, far inland, which is where my Worcestershire ancestors hailed from. But one of my favourite examples of the naval name popping up in unexpected places is the Torbay at Ffairfach in Carmarthenshire. Ffairfach is a suburb of Llandeilo and is a long way inland, but its pub seems to have been named after an eighteenth century Torbay – perhaps an early landlord had served on her? – and to this day, the pub sign is a remarkably creditable painting of the ship.

Name:  Torbay inn fairchurch.jpg
Views: 18467
Size:  55.9 KB

The Torbay Inn pub sign, Ffairfach

The problems with the pubs bearing naval names are that, firstly, there are far fewer of them than there were, and with each one that closes, an entire point of contact between a community and Britain’s naval history disappears. But even in those that survive, the naval connection is often downplayed or ignored entirely: pictures of old ships do not necessarily sit well with wannabe Jamie Olivers trying to create rural gastropub heaven (or, in the humble opinion of the present blogger, hell). Worse, I know pubs where good old solid British oak beams and bars have been painted white ‘to give a friendlier/warmer/more feminine feel’ (most disastrously at my village local, although that doesn’t have a naval name or connection). A case in point was the Old Custom House in Portsmouth, one of the few old buildings to survive within the ghastly Gunwharf Quays complex that was erected on the site of the old HMS Vernon training establishment. When the pub first opened, in 2001, it had a large number of pictures and other memorabilia of Vernon, but most of that was discarded at the first refurbishment only a few years later. On the other hand, a few ‘pubcos’ have a rather better record, notably the much-maligned Wetherspoons, which does at least provide display boards and photographs which explain the heritage behind a pub’s name. For instance, they’ve named a pub in Newport the John Wallace Linton after the locally-born submariner and VC winner, while one of their outlets in Potters Bar rejoices in the name of the Admiral Byng (who lived at nearby Wrotham Park), although I’ve yet to investigate the amount of information about the ill-fated admiral on display within. But these are just a few isolated examples, and I’d suggest that they in no way compensate for the vast amount of naval pub heritage that we’ve lost. As I suggested above, every closure, every stripping out of ships’ badges or pictures that no longer fit with the desired ‘corporate image’, reduces the visibility of the navy and of naval history in public perception. There are many other causes of the ‘sea blindness’ that many believe to be afflicting modern Britain, but this is surely one of them.
    Let’s not end on a negative and depressing note, though. Which are my favourite ‘naval pubs’, in any of the above categories, I hear you cry? (And even if you don’t, I’m going to tell you anyway.) Well, there are plenty. Honourable mentions to the minute snug bar in the Admiral MacBride on the Barbican in Plymouth, very much an old stamping ground during my time down west, and to the Lord Nelson at Southwold; back in the day, that mention would have gone to the nearby Solebay Inn, until the otherwise splendid Adnams Brewery wrecked it with a ghastly refurbishment. But pretty much at the top of my tree would have to be the Ship and Shovell, adjacent to Charing Cross station in London. (And no, Tripadvisor, it’s not spelt ‘Shovel’. 0 stars for you.) Not only is this the only pub in London in two halves, one on each side of an alley; not only is it full of naval history pictures and memorabilia, which makes it a real rarity in London; not only does it serve splendid beer; but it’s actually one of the very few pubs anywhere that commemorates a seventeenth century naval hero, i.e. ‘one of the blokes in my books’.

Name:  The Pembroke.jpg
Views: 3585
Size:  46.9 KB
    The Pembroke on a foggy night. Just imagine a press gang coming round the corner.

But my award for ‘best naval pub in Britain’ would have to go to the Pembroke in Portsmouth. It’s not in such an obvious and prominent location as the aforementioned pubs on the Hard, or the Still and West a few hundred yards away at the harbour mouth (which was once very nearly rammed by Britain’s last battleship), but it’s fairly adjacent to the Royal Garrison Church where King Charles II married Catherine of Braganza, its walls are adorned with the ships’ badges of current and past warships, and most days, you’ll come across a veteran or two propping up the bar, spinning yarns to anyone who’ll listen. But if anyone has alternative candidates for the title, I’d love to hear about them – and, of course, I’d then have to undertake the onerous task of personally researching all of the premises in question. This blogging’s a tough job, but someone has to do it.

Our thanks to J D Davies for this errudite and important piece of journalism.

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Barracuda Bar & Seafood at Deerfield Beach, Miami, Florida.

Name:  BarracudaBarMiami.jpg
Views: 4124
Size:  8.9 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  the-shipwright-s-arms.jpg
Views: 2007
Size:  60.6 KB
    Hollow shore.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Barracuda Beach Bar in Agia Marina, Greece.

Name:  the-bar.jpg
Views: 1901
Size:  61.2 KBName:  30490_f.JPG
Views: 1549
Size:  55.9 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  Walnut tree.png
Views: 3830
Size:  182.4 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Barracuda Bistro & Bar in New Haven, Connecticut, U.S.A..

Name:  348s.jpg
Views: 1903
Size:  30.9 KB

Rob:

Thanks for posting the article. On my next UK visit I will have to visit The Pembroke and of course The Lord Nelson!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Le Barracuda Bar & Cafe at le port La Gavine, Hyeres, France.

Name:  IMG_1084.jpg
Views: 1771
Size:  204.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  Welld nrext the sea.jpg
Views: 1953
Size:  22.6 KB
    Wells next the sea.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Barracuda Bar in Nongprue Banglamung, Chonburi, Thailand.

Name:  barracuda5.jpg
Views: 1860
Size:  110.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  gloucester.jpg
Views: 1968
Size:  147.8 KB

Gloucester.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Barracudas Tavern in Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A..

Name:  barracudas-tavern.jpg
Views: 14004
Size:  35.4 KB

[Photograph courtesy of TripAdvisor.]

I have been to Barracudas' Tavern - it is on Key highway which is the street that leads to Ft. McHenry. For the anniversary of the Star Spangled Banner in 2014 I was in Baltimore, sailed on the Lynx and visited the fort. On the way to the fort many pubs had set up food foe sale on the sidewalk. I got a beer and a sandwich at Barracudas' on the way to see reenactments at the fort.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  23037.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  45.1 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you, Eric. It is always good to hear from someone, who has visited these places.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This fearsome sign is for Barracuda's Bar & Grille in New Smyrna Beach, Florida.

Name:  7343362028_f58bc5fd36_z.jpg
Views: 1778
Size:  82.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  Nether Stowey.jpg
Views: 2013
Size:  214.8 KB

Nether Stowey.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Barracuda Cocktail & Sportsbar in Heiligenhafen , Schleswig-Holstein.

Name:  560c10f08357d.jpg
Views: 1778
Size:  120.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  images6WFEZYC7.jpg
Views: 1748
Size:  8.7 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  the-shipwrights-arms-traditional-heraldic-pub-sign-on-empty-pub-2005-BF8M8M.jpg
Views: 21252
Size:  153.9 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Barracuda Bar in Cologne, Germany.

Name:  images-34.jpeg
Views: 2154
Size:  28.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  weymouth.jpg
Views: 3611
Size:  196.3 KB
    Waymouth.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Barracuda Tavern in Downtown Boston, Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A..

Name:  618721_asYX5aOuXO3t1M7kcoEDjt90-iB6e4lj5lpmlis2jY0.jpg
Views: 1815
Size:  35.9 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  20170518-121540-001-largejpg.jpg
Views: 1755
Size:  48.0 KB
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-18-2019 at 02:43.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

True to their training, the Navy Seals appear where you least expect them. :)

Perhaps they would appreciate this pub - The Seal at Selsey, West Sussex.

Name:  the-seal-selsey.jpg
Views: 4660
Size:  192.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

They are returning to the place they should be. In your pub Dave.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  Admiral pub Knoxville.png
Views: 1795
Size:  98.4 KB

Knoxville

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Black Seal, Trearddur Bay, Isle of Anglesey, North Wales.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  159.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  Ark Royal  Gosport.jpg
Views: 5108
Size:  43.0 KB

Gosport.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Dugong Bar at the Club Paradise resort in Coron, Northern Palawan, Philippines.

Name:  Dugong-Bar-at-Club-Paradise-Resort-in-Coron-Palawan.jpg
Views: 7881
Size:  167.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  Newport.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  124.5 KB

Newport USA.