Name
    Rob

Name:  P1010071.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  93.7 KB

Name:  6206_1023622596.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  39.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet John Rushworth Jellicoe, 1st Earl Jellicoe, GCB, OM, GCVO, SGM, DL (5 December 1859 – 20 November 1935) was a Royal Navy officer. He fought in the Anglo-Egyptian War and the Boxer Rebellion and commanded the Grand Fleet at the Battle of Jutland in May 1916 during the First World War. His handling of the fleet at that battle was controversial. Jellicoe made no serious mistakes and the German High Seas Fleet retreated to port, at a time when defeat would have been catastrophic for Britain. But the British public was disappointed that the Royal Navy had not won a victory on the scale of the Battle of Trafalgar. Jellicoe later served as First Sea Lord, overseeing the expansion of the Naval Staff at the Admiralty and the introduction of convoys, but was relieved at the end of 1917. He also served as the Governor-General of New Zealand in the early 1920s.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  prestbury villasge.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  67.3 KB

Another Admiral Rodney, this time at Prestbury village near Cheltenham.
    My old stamping ground.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This Mary Rose is at a place called Cheslyn Hay near Walsall.

Name:  66be49cdfab7e7119423005056947b6c9138_800x600.gif
Views: 900
Size:  297.7 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This one is at Portsmouth.

Name:  3ff68cd4332878edb89586a88887b030.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  32.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And this one is at Scunthorpe.

Name:  mary rose scunthorpe.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  49.3 KB

That's a surprise methinks the blue pencil brigade missed a Richard type word here Dave!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  Mary-Rose-St-Marys-Cray.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  72.5 KB
    Mary Rose at St Marys Cray.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Well, I guess that you have wrapped all up the Mary Rose pubs, Rob. So here is one in London named after another famous ship.

Name:  mayflower-pub-street-side.jpg
Views: 3314
Size:  50.5 KB

The Mayflower Pub: Originally known as the Shippe, this pub dates back to the 1550s. It is claimed that Captain Jones docked the Mayflower at the Shippe Inn to avoid paying commercial dock fees. The pub underwent various name changes over the years, but in 1957 it was restored and renamed to celebrate its connection to the Mayflower. Still with its dock on the Thames in front, the building also used to be a riverfront Post Office and so in recognition of this it is claimed to be the only place in London that is licensed to sell both US and UK postage stamps.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Au contraire Dave. Here is another.
    Name:  hotel-entrance.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  40.1 KB
    Mary Rose Orpington.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  pusser-s-road-town-pub.jpg
Views: 2108
Size:  60.7 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I resemble that remark.

Name:  DSC00575.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  178.2 KB
    Name:  DSC00579.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  141.0 KB

Bligh.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Robert Mann (c.1748 – 20 September 1813) was an officer of the Royal Navy. He served during the American War of Independence and the French Revolutionary Wars, eventually rising to the rank of admiral of the red.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  Vernon dagenhasm.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  238.5 KB
    The Admiral Vernon at Dagenham.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This Mayflower is in Leicester.

Name:  11350707676_a0b0a65653_b.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  169.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  lifeboat Selsey.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  54.7 KB
    The Lifeboat at Selsey.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This Mayflower is in San Rafael, California.

Name:  o.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  33.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  Mars  portsmouth.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  366.3 KB
    The Mars Portsmouth.

Name:  proxy.png
Views: 1067
Size:  151.6 KB

HMS Mars was a 74-gun third-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, launched on 25 October 1794 at Deptford Dockyard

In the early part of the French Revolutionary Wars she was assigned to the Channel Fleet. In 1797 under Captain Alexander Hood she was prominent in the Spithead mutiny. In 1798 at the Battle of the Raz de Sein she fought a famous single-ship duel with the French seventy-four Hercule, in the dusk near the Pointe du Raz on the coast of Brittany. Hercule attempted to escape through the Passage du Raz but the tide was running in the wrong direction and she was forced to anchor, giving Captain Hood the chance to attack at close quarters. The two ships were of equal strength, but Hercule was newly commissioned; after more than an hour and a half of bloody fighting at close quarters she struck her flag, having lost over three hundred men. On Mars 31 men were killed and 60 wounded. Among the dead was Captain Hood.

Fight between Mars and Hercule

Mars fought at Trafalgar where she was heavily damaged as she took fire from five different French and Spanish seventy-fours. Among the 29 killed and 69 wounded in the action was her captain, George Duff.
    In 1806, on service in the Channel fleet she took part in an action off Chasseron which led to the capture of four French ships. She afterwards served off Portugal and in the Baltic Sea.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This Mayflower is in your area, Rob. It is at Hodsock Priory, Blyth, Worksop, Nottinghamshire.

Name:  Mayflower-Pub-Pilgrim-Fathers-High-Res-e1440519420514.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  159.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  the-royal-sovereign-pub.Bovington.jpg
Views: 1640
Size:  67.8 KB
    The Royal Sovereign Brighton.

Name:  b3e2a2360659aa3533059d4ec59aafdc.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  192.3 KB

HMS Royal Sovereign was a 100-gun first rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, which served as the flagship of Admiral Collingwood at the Battle of Trafalgar. She was the third of seven Royal Navy ships to bear the name. Designed by Sir Edward Hunt, she was launched at Plymouth Dockyard on 11 September 1786, at a cost of £67,458, and was the only ship built to her draught.

Royal Sovereign was part of Admiral Howe's fleet at the Glorious First of June, where she suffered 14 killed and 41 wounded.The first ship of the fleet in action at Trafalgar on 21 October 1805, she led one column of warships; Nelson's Victory led the other. Due to the re-coppering of her hull prior to her arrival off Cádiz, Royal Sovereign was a considerably better sailer in the light winds present that day than other vessels, and pulled well ahead of the rest of the fleet. As she cut the enemy line alone and engaged the Spanish three decker Santa Ana, Nelson pointed to her and said, 'See how that noble fellow Collingwood carries his ship into action!' At approximately the same moment, Collingwood remarked to his captain, Edward Rotheram, 'What would Nelson give to be here?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This Mayflower is in Bootle.

Name:  JS132816345.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  25.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  Royal Sov Clapton.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  35.8 KB
    Royal Sovereign Clapton.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This one is in Lymington, Hampshire.

Name:  building.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  52.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  the-packet-inn.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  40.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  3b82e2961bd448b71d903b3366f7917d--british-pub-decorative-signs.jpg
Views: 2871
Size:  57.7 KB

A different Royal Sovereign.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This Mayflower is in Hazelmere, Buckinghamshire.

Name:  4712c50c118e4e6d5ed32433acea4f7f.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  31.9 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  Royal Sov Salford.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  205.5 KB
    Royal Sovereign Salford.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Mayflower had a companion ship named the Speedwell. This pub is in Darlington.

Name:  21612179.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  332.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  Royal Sov shoreham..jpg
Views: 2598
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  Royal Sov shorehasm on sea.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  23.3 KB

The Royal Sovereign Shoreham.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This Speedwell Inn is at Staveley in Derbyshire, which is about as far from the sea as you can get in England.

Name:  l.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  20.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  pub-2-1.jpg
Views: 1472
Size:  266.2 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This pub is in Swanbridge, Vale of Glamorgan, South Wales.

Name:  captains-wife.jpg
Views: 1701
Size:  198.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Carrying on the theme from the beer of today.

Name:  fachada.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  48.9 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Gypsy Moth is in Greenwich , London. It is named after the yacht Gypsy Moth IV in which Sir Francis Chichester completed his solo round the world voyage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gipsy_Moth_IV

Name:  IL557235_942long.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  160.4 KBName:  23-Mike-GoldingGMIV-GS-600x400.jpeg
Views: 927
Size:  40.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  nether_stowey1389.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  32.4 KB

Nether Stowe.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

And I believe the ACTUAL Gipsy Moth is in the Maritime Museum?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Bilge Rat View Post
    And I believe the ACTUAL Gipsy Moth is in the Maritime Museum?
    Gypsy Moth IV was for a time on display at Greenwich near the Cutty Sark but nowadays after restoration it is owned by the Gypsy Moth Trust, who take it to important boat shows. It is possible to book trips on her. For further details look at https://www.gipsymoth.org/

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

There is another pub called Gypsy Moth at Croydon in London.

Name:  11513.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  38.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  New Orleans.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  41.6 KB
    Complete with Tardis in New orleans would you believe?
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Here we have the inevitable Cutty Sark pub in Greenwich, London.

Name:  1837847_2fc6d562.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  76.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  New_Look_Saffron_Walden_The_Temeraire_2.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  141.2 KB

Saffron Walden.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This Cutty Sark is at Marazion in Cornwall.

Name:  cutty-sark.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  74.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  the-australia-porthmadog.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  61.5 KB

Name:  35615343705_9df001122a_b.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  94.1 KB

Porthmadog.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This Cutty Sark is in Falmouth, Cornwall.

Name:  cutty-sark-inn.jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  65.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  admiralwells.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  123.8 KB

Wells joined the Royal Navy in 1774. He became commanding officer of the frigate HMS Melampus in early 1794 during the French Revolutionary Wars. During this time Melampus participated in the Action of 23 April 1794, during which the British took three vessels, Engageante, Pomone, and Babet.Melampus had five men killed and five wounded. He went on to be commanding officer of the third-rate HMS Defence later in 1794 and commanding officer of the second-rate HMS Glory in 1799. He acted as a pallbearer at the funeral of Lord Nelson in October 1805. After that he became Commander-in-Chief, The Nore in 1807 and was promoted to Vice Admiral of the Red in 1808

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This Cutty Sark is in Thamesmead, London.

Name:  2739209319_505ae448c0_z.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  123.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  admiral gordon.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  26.3 KB

Name:  220px-Rear_Admiral_James_Alexander_Gordon.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  18.7 KB

Admiral of the Fleet Sir James Alexander Gordon, GCB (6 October 1782 – 8 January 1869) was a Royal Navy officer. As a volunteer, he fought at the Battle of Groix, at the Battle of the Glorious First of June and at the Battle of Cape St Vincent during the French Revolutionary Wars and then, as a midshipman, served under Admiral Sir Horatio Nelson at the Battle of the Nile.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This pub named after a famous fictional sailor is in Dunoon on the Firth of Clyde. the voyages of Sinbad appear in 'The Arabian Nights'.

Name:  sinbad.jpg
Views: 2319
Size:  61.5 KB
    Last edited by Naharaht; 11-17-2020 at 21:59.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  AdmiralDrake portsmouthDec1992.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  96.5 KB

Portsmouth.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This one is in Old Detroit.

Name:  sinbad-s-at-the-river.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  29.9 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  centurion-Portsmouthsign.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  25.5 KB

Portsmouth.

HMS Centurion was a 60-gun fourth rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, built at Portsmouth Dockyard and launched on 6 January 1732. At the time of Centurion's construction, the 1719 Establishment dictated the dimensions of almost every ship being built. Owing to concerns over the relative sizes of British ships compared to their continental rivals, Centurion was ordered to be built 1 ft (0.3 m) wider across the beam than the Establishment prescribed. HMS Rippon was similarly built to non-Establishment dimensions at the same time.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This pub called The Wheelhouse is at Wollaton, Nottingham.

Name:  491008.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  181.8 KB