Thread: New Releases

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Default New Releases

Are the forth coming French East Indianman ships armed as they would be as East Indianman or have they been up gunned?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good question Alistair.
    I wonder if DB can give us any insight on that one?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

BHR is definitely not just one but TWO up-guns: the historical as-she-sailed, and a chance to explore the What If had Jones outfitted her the way he wanted to as a light 64. The others, I don't know since I'm not part of their Stats discussions, but I had strongly suggested that one side of each log be Merchant and the other Military.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

If one them of is merchant that would be great, I would probably get several of them.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Duc de Duras will probably be a merchie; IIRC she was never navalized before becoming BHR. And there's nothing that says you can't do a custom log splicing one ship's names and another's stats since you'd still be using official game data; in fact, I'm considering creating just such a "Roles Reversed" set for the four Frogs as an Anchorage-exclusive download. (Ideally, I'd like Ares to take them under its trademark and extend the licensing terms on them to "Free for Anchorage members ONLY;" really nice would be if their in-house art guy could clean things up so they look more spiffy and "official.")

Since the hype was "EIM," if we don't get at least one at true EIM stats I'm gonna be as hacked off as y'all, if not more. And apropos of nothing, let me also note that it's nice to be appreciated even with my ill temper and all my other long list of irks and quirks and flaws. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

DB, we wouldn't have you any other way.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Well if Duc de Duras and Bertin come as 4th rater's I will get one of each and convert them back to EIM's should not be to hard.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As my solo missions are based in the Indian Ocean, any EIM's will be a godsend to me as you well may imagine
    Alistair.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Everything except BHR herself is going to require some surgery. You'll need to build a new lower mizzenmast--I suggest you see if your local library can get an Inter-Library Loan of Jean Boudriot's book, since that was our primary reference.

Ships this model is appropriate for once "de-modified":
    --Duc de Penthievre
    --1761 Bertin
    --Duc de Choiseul
    --Massaic
    --Berryer
    --Dauphin
    --Duc de Duras
    --and two unknown others

Possible stretches include:
    Groignard 1000-12500t EIM/64-gun SOL's

Nominal armament as designed LD 26x12#--typically only three ports/side opened and armed--plus 26x8# UD and occasionally a few 4# QD/FC. A fully armed navalized Groignard 900t EIM, per DM's WAG, should be around the ballpark of a Hebe, IMHO maybe a Portland tops. Jones had intended to up-gun to an 18# LD, 12# UD, 8# QD/FC. The original LD armament would have been carried in, numbering from the bow, ports 2, 6 and 12. Per ThreeDecks, a fully navalized G900 would be a 56-gunner (probably 26 each 12#LD/8# UD plus 4x4# QD), though not as strong as a purpose-built naval 56 like Bordelais (compare: 24x24# or 36# LD/26x 12# or 18# UD plus 6x8# QD, later armament being the lighter bores).

The 1760 Bertin of 300t heavier displacement was also very similar, I'd be comfortable using this sculpt--with the modifications below--for her and statting as a weak 64 for "theoretical max," probably in the vicinity of our What-If Side B BHR. Also, I'd say the same for the various 1000, 1100 and 1150t Groignard EIM's sized in between, which I do not have a complete list of, though these latter were further up-gunned to 24# or 36# LD/18# UD (for example, the 1763 Bordelais 56's us who want to do the AWI Indian Ocean Campaign will need). I would start with this model "de-Jonesed" as a base, then split the difference between SGN110 HMS Leander (52-gun up-rate) and a weak SGN109 or 115 for stats. I'd bet 1760 Bertin would probably work as 1758 Solitaire (50t heavier) also.

A "stock" G900's gun decks each end one port earlier than BHR, nor does it have BHR's bow chase-ports on the UD. As built the poop-deck breastworks and bulkhead were just aft of the mizzenmast; the model reflects Jones having them extended to wrap around just ahead of it. Jones added royal sails, which need to be removed. Bulwarks need to be lowered 3 or 4 scale feet.

Groignard 900-ton variant LD UD QD & FC
    Design, EIM service 6x12#
    positions 2, 6, 12
    26x8# 4x4#
    Design, naval service 26x12# 26x8# 4x4#
    Bonhomme Richard, as sortied 6x18#
    positions 12, 13, 14
    28x12# 6x8# QD
    positions 3-5
    Bonhomme Richard, theoretical maximum 28x18# 28x12# 10x8# QD, 2x8# FC
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very useful once again DB.
    Thanks.
    Rob.