Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
Sometimes those are all we have to go by--even when designing the official releases, sometimes we have to gather all the data we can about ships similar to our target, compare them and make a best guess from that to try to cover a hole in the historical record. We do our best to make them the most educated guesses we can, but sometimes our best guess is really all we can do when it's either that or no ship, like how we got HMS Jason as a backside for Protee after I scuttled nonexistent "HMS Actionnaire."
Precisely the sort of thing I did for Flying Colors. Glad to report that 95 % of my research still holds up after more than 10 years. As (in)famous game designer Richard Berg once said, a game gets published, never finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
Also, when Tonnant comes out next year sometime, as an 80-gunner she'll help narrow things down a little--don't be afraid to publish a preliminary and then revise, since these are unofficial numbers for unofficial logs.
Another ship which is a bit of a curiosity w.r.t. armament. 18 32-pounder carronades on the upper works. Interesting to see the stats.