Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default Campaign medals.

Thanks to a lot of work by Eric, Susan (Ling) and Keith, I am now able to announce that we are going to award medals for the Campaign similar to those on the Drome.
    The criteria for the medals are set out below.

If you are entitled to one or more of these I will be presenting them during the next few days. Please do not request them yourselves, until next week, if I have missed you as it will only add confusion to the list which I need to work through.
    You may of course celebrate in the usual manner in the Wardroom as soon as you receive your award.

Anchorage Campaign Medal.
    Awarded to members that have taken part in one of the various campaigns run on the site and have submitted at least 5 AARs for that campaign.

Anchorage Campaign Medal - Bronze Awarded to members that have taken part in two of the various campaigns run on the site and have submitted at least 5 AARs for those campaigns.

Anchorage Campaign Medal - Silver Awarded to members that have taken part in three of the various campaigns run on the site and have submitted at least 5 AARs for those campaigns.

Anchorage Campaign Medal - Gold Awarded to members that have taken part in four of the various campaigns ran on the site and have submitted at least 5 AARs for those campaigns.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-19-2017 at 03:06.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Hurrah for Bligh!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Rob, thanks for following up on this and for the resulting award I just received.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am only sorry that a lot of people scored fours in the subsequent years. They almost got the next level.
    I am still happy to take requests for 2016 if anybody has any to complete.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

2014 was a trial year to iron out campaign rules hence I think there were only 3-4 scenarios.
    Last edited by Union Jack; 02-20-2017 at 02:53.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes, the actual tally for 2014 was:-

Union Jack 3.
    speissbuerger 3
    Uthoroc 2
    Fred Miracle 2
    Nightmoss 2
    Ducky 1
    Berthier 1
    Soultaker 1
    Comte de Brueys 1
    CSHerrange 1

It was 15 and 16 where people just missed out, hence my extending 16 for a month or two to give people a chance to get that odd extra AAR written. Remember there are two different Campaigns at stake, so a double is achievable.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-20-2017 at 03:42.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I think the medal should be open for any latecomers. There should never be an expiry date.

That would only make it a medal for having been on the forum in the right time and not for the actual AARs.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

As I have 2 more AAAR's for 16 to write up I'd better get the quill and ink out...again.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Well... I have played the 2016 LoM campaign and so far written three AARs but thought of putting them here more or less all at the same time. But I'm not thinking of myself.

I'm thinking of the new people we want to get active on this forum. I'm thinking that if we want to make sure Sails of Glory have a future we need to keep our arms open to new players joining us and playing old scenarios. Excluding people from being able to get the medals helps no one. I'm not even sure I would like to have that kind of medal.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I like Jonas's suggestion of keeping the medal awards as open as possible. If a new or old member is willing to go back and fight the scenarios and then post the AAR's they should deserve a medal for their contribution to the entire site and community. Frankly, I don't think you're going to get a stampede of folks doing so, but having the option is more inclusive.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The rules are written I'm afraid Jonas.

They were laid down on the Drome by the then Administrators when this was first mooted several years ago. We are just following their rules. There is nothing to stop anyone picking up the AAR and doing it later, but if we do not have a time limit on the medal submissions the work load of re checking continuously to see if anyone has made the number is far too onerous for the Administrators. It was also intended that at the end of the campaign season, all scores were totted up for missions completed and that was it. We then relaxed that rule, and the people like Neil or Dave who were running the scores graciously agreed to give themselves more work by jumping back and forth from year to year to add in scores. I do not want to add to anyone's workload even if I could, but I alone can't make that decision anyway.
    Rob.

Great effort, Rob.

With only one AAR here and many more at the WoG Aerodrome I understand this restriction.

The goal is to have a living campaign with active members and this medal is the award for it.

Join the campaign - write missions - take part and earn your medal.

This is the way for everyone, new ones and veterans.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I have no idea how much background work is involved for administrators working with the medal award system, but I would like to suggest some updates are probably in order?

There should be a medal for Anchorage memberships longer than three years, I don't understand why Origins is the only "named" convention and all the rest are "minor" conventions and perhaps it's time to recognize multiple yearly attendances and/or volunteering work at local and national conventions?

If it turns out that the system is manually run by one or two people this probably is too much work on top of the larger demands of the Aerodrome, but I got the impression that some of this was automatically generated?
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Re Anchorage membership, I have actually been discussing this very thing with Keith only at the weekend, and we intend to bring it into line with the Drome.

Watch this space Jim.

None is automatically generated, and as circumstances are at the moment I am it for the whole shooting match except for my able Lieutenants running the Solo Missions.
    There used to be three Administrators but because of personal circumstances, they are all out of things for the present. Keith asked me to step in from the Drome and so I deputized some of my work there so that I could bring the sails side back up to par. I have now had about six months at it and am restoring things as fast as I can bearing in mind that I'm also dealing with a great Aunt with Dementia as well.
    I hope that this will give you an understanding of how the situation is.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-20-2017 at 13:17.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

We also have to take into account that each medal has to be designed by someone and agreed as a fitting medal design and then it has to be installed. (My technical terminolgy is not the greatest but I think you get the gist). The medals we have the criteria for such is easily surpassed and then there is a void. Perhaps the 'getting' of should be looked at and dates/points etc increased to make them worthwhile and not to easily achieved.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I would suggest that the one who wants a medal request them an nothing else is awarded.

That limits the work to only those who requests it and then you can require them to link to their own AARs which would make the work even less than it is now.

I have to say that rules having been in place for a long time is for me a sign of that they need to be revised, not that they are written in stone.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Besides I think the rules haven't been followed very well. Sometimes the old medals have been replaced by the higher level of the same medal and sometimes the higher level have just been added. I myself have these double levels of the same medal but not all that I have had. Reputation 50 was removed but reputation 100 was not.

I think it's kind of chaotic already.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am also dealing with that as of yesterday Jonas. If you look at my own medals you will see that all the anomalies have gone. When I started giving out the medals i simply followed on what had been the practice by the man before me. Someone mentioned it here a few weeks ago and I am just starting to look at everyone's medals and ironing out the duplicates. However this again takes time as each medal when located has several inputs and then takes you back to the top of the medal table, so please bear with me as I'm trying to catch up with three years backlog in some respects.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    I would suggest that the one who wants a medal request them an nothing else is awarded.

That limits the work to only those who requests it and then you can require them to link to their own AARs which would make the work even less than it is now.

I have to say that rules having been in place for a long time is for me a sign of that they need to be revised, not that they are written in stone.
    The way we deal with this on the Drome Jonas, is if you reach a milestone you apply for the medal as you say, yourself. If anyone else spots it first they can apply for you, and if I get there first I will present it. There are now too many for Keith to spot them all like he did at first.
    So yes I will take your suggestion on board thanks.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Perhaps a medal for AAR of any kind. Not just the campaign. That may get more people to put up their reports in general. I think we would all welcome that.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

"Never in the field of forum gaming, has so much been owed, by so many, to so few".

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Re Anchorage membership, I have actually been discussing this very thing with Keith only at the weekend, and we intend to bring it into line with the Drome.

Watch this space Jim.

None is automatically generated, and as circumstances are at the moment I am it for the whole shooting match except for my able Lieutenants running the Solo Missions.
    There used to be three Administrators but because of personal circumstances, they are all out of things for the present. Keith asked me to step in from the Drome and so I deputized some of my work there so that I could bring the sails side back up to par. I have now had about six months at it and am restoring things as fast as I can bearing in mind that I'm also dealing with a great Aunt with Dementia as well.
    I hope that this will give you an understanding of how the situation is.
    Rob.
    This sounds like a lot of work falling on just a few folks. With that in mind I'd just focus on getting the medals currently on the site all squared away as best you can. You're doing a great deal for the website as it is I reckon.

Thank you for your efforts supporting the Anchorage and it's membership. It is very much appreciated on all levels.
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I personally think the medals is an unnecessary way to burn out the few moderators/administrators of the forum. I'd rather see them with less workload. It's a whole lot to do anyways. But I can understand that it would be a useful way of rewarding wanted behavior among the members.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Hjl View Post
    Perhaps a medal for AAR of any kind. Not just the campaign. That may get more people to put up their reports in general. I think we would all welcome that.
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention Hugh.
    That is actually what the Citation says Hugh. It is not simply for the Solo Campaign, but any five AAR's completed during the year which reach the same standard as the Solo ones. I dwelt mainly on the Solo missions because they were the ones in arrears. As far as I know nobody on the Drome has ever put in for a medal outside the parameters of the Solos. KOTA never got going although that was another area which Keith intended to give medals, which are actually in the Medals table ready to go if you look on the Drome.
    I am happy to give a medal for anyone who this year completes five AAR's, and applies for it giving me the site of the five AAR's in question provided that they are of the same standard as the Solo ones.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for your support shipmates.

As long as things roll on smoothly it is not too onerous a task to run this site, but we are bound to hit sticking points when something is changed. Please keep your ideas coming, because you are all an integral part of what keeps the Anchorage's heart beating. My only job is to smooth the way and encourage people to participate more actively. The more quality we post the more outsiders will read, and the more respect the site will have.
    Drop in a little humour, and whimsical threads and we have a good balance.
    We must be doing something right, because we are attracting an average of about two new members per week.
    All we need now is to get them posting.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

I went through the General part of the campaign bit and noted there were a few AAR's astray from being linked into the actual campaign scenario lists in the sticky. I'll have a bash at moving some of those into the correct bits and linking them to the scenario threads.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Cheers Neil.
    That may give me the chance to get a few more people gongs.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Apologies Rob. I'd already linkd the AAR's into the relevent campaign scenario threads. I just hadn't moved them, they are now moved into the relevent campaign years and I've double checked that they are all linked already. So no newbies there.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That's quite O.K. Neil.
    Less work for me then.
    Hurrah!
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Rob up to date data with 2016 & 2017 split into respective solo campaign.

Name:  SOG SOLO campaign data 2.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  110.4 KB
    Last edited by Union Jack; 03-07-2017 at 11:57.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the update dear chap.
    Minor correction Neil. The last Lom for December was by me.
    Not sure if I did five NvN but will check.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I think I did fewer NvN Neil and two more letters of Marque.

March NvN
    April LoM
    Sept NvN
    Oct LoM
    Dec LoM

So three Lom and only NvN. 5 in all.

Rob.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Sorry Rob I hadn't amended the writers bit, it still reflects to whole year and both campaigns. I'll amend and repost post haste.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Amended and reposted with haste I hope.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Neil.
    Rob.