Thread: Warhammer Historical - Trafalgar

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Default Warhammer Historical - Trafalgar

I have a copy of warhammer historical Trafalgar. Does anyone have any experience with it? It looks pretty interesting!

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have experiences of it, not good. Presentationally though it is excellent, and the game system is simple enough so that it can be house ruled into something decent

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

It has some interesting takes of maneuvering and damage. Does it do much for fleet management?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I might take a look at that myself then.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Not really.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I just looked Dave.
    Not impressed!
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

When they came out I put together a couple of articles of house rules, one for the standard rules, the second to focus on frigate actions and smaller (like SGN the stat range was so close that smaller ships were lumped together into an unsatisfactory blob of sameness). With some fairly straightforward changes that kept the fast play spirit of the rules they transformed into something far more satisfying

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Have you still got copies of those Dave?
    Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

In the archive somewhere. Drop me a pm, I've lost your email address

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Can you send those to me too?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

PM on the way Dave.

Rob.

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

I agree that many of David's suggestions for Warhammer Historical Trafalgar from his Wargames Illustrated article are good, some are really excellent in fact, but I think Trafalgar is an on the whole excellent quick-play Napoleonic Naval Game even without them. It is certainly more primitive than Sails of Glory and even an absolute landlubber like me can see that it was not written by Sir Francis Chichester, but it is quick to teach to newcomers and presents a fast and fun introduction to those with little in depth prior knowledge of the period or the handling of sail powered ships of the line. I personally would not be so quick to write it off, although as it is out of print like most WHH print books (some of which were marvelous back in the day, sigh) the question is now largely academic.
    cheers
    Mark

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

First of all welcome to the Anchorage Mark.
    We try not to be too prescriptive about different systems here. People give their opinion, but basically use the system which floats your personal boat.
    There are many factors effecting peoples choices and as you say getting the interest sparked off is the important part. That is why when we do shows we stick to mostly the basic rules.
    If you search the Threads you will find all manner of sets of rules discussed, some at great length.
    Whatever your choice may you sail with a fair wind and a full shot locker.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Mark, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

My beef isn't really with the game system itself which is a very quick and simple system to learn and play, but with the detail within the system and how it portrays a false view of AoS naval actions. I have no doubts that is is a quick and fun system to get into and play. But as and when an ab initio player moves on to something more in depth they sometimes find that things they "knew" because of what they'd experienced in a "starter" set of rules get them killed. Which I find frustrating when you can see simple things that would make the rules far more historically accurate without adding to the complexity of the rules. But there are a few daft mechanisms in there as well, such as the likelihood of causing a critical hit increasing as the target becomes harder to hit, and the collision rules being 180 degrees out of phase with reality (although in some respects WHT isn't alone in this in the naval wargames world )