Pre-amble

“We fully accept your point about your crew Captain but you were not aboard and they did mutiny. Suffice to say the decision of the board is that you were in no way to blame; being ashore in hospital at the time, so the court finds you not guilty and furthermore unaccountable for the actions of your crew in your absence. This courts martial is now dismissed having fully discharged its duty, God save the King”.

The court broke up and officer after officer came to shake Jacks hand. It did not bode well for his 1st officer who had tried to quell the unrest but had been over powered and locked below when his crew mutinied. Jack stiffened as the Commodore, now Rear Admiral, approached. “Well Captain Union, the court has admonished you of all guilt, perhaps now we can get on with the war, eh?” “Yes, Sir...but what about...” Jack got no further as the Admiral raised his hand. “I have put in a good word with the court about your 1st, from the evidence he tried his best to quell the mutiny and it would seem that your 3rd officer was more involved. It is on him that most of the blame will fall. Now, enough of that. My squadron is being reinforced as you know and whilst I have lost Dunkirk and Morpeth, there are never enough frigates you know, I am receiving 3 more 74’s and an unrated sloop for messages etc”. Jacks face dropped at the mention of the unrated sloop; surely he was not being given that as a command. The Admiral continued...”Now as I was saying, the 3 74’s I am getting, Spartiate, Defence and Vanguard, well Vanguard’s Captain fell ill on the voyage and died 2 days before they dropped anchor. So presently she is without a Captain. I am making you her temporary Captain, do a good job and I might let you keep her, make a hash of it and I’ll beach you faster than you could jump overboard!” Jack smiled at the Admiral, “I’ll not let you down sir.” With that he doffed his hat and stepped aside as the Admiral and his entourage left the court. Captain Smith, the Flag Captain, handed him an envelope as he passed; “Your orders Captain Union”. “Thank you sir”. He replied as the Flag Captain departed in the wake of the Admiral.

Out in the harbour Jack could see the reinforced squadron being refitted for sea. The Flagship HMS Royal Sovereign, HMS Africa, Alnwick, Northumberland, Spartiate, Defence & HMS Vanguard awaiting the arrival of their new captain. The little sloop had already left the harbour carrying dispatches for the Admiral; she would be very busy over the coming months.

“......I Captain Jack Union am to take command of His Majesty’s Ship Vanguard with all dispatch”. Jack finished the customary reading in of himself as the new Captain, there was a half hearted huzzah then all hands where dismissed and Jack withdrew to his cabin. He was given no relief for no sooner had he removed his coat when the shout came; Captain to repair aboard Flagship with all haste.

Jack was the last to arrive and was bid sit as the Admiral started, “It would seem our previous endeavours have only been the precursor for something larger. This morning dispatches arrived confirming that we are now at war with Spain as well as France. A squadron of French ships has broken out of the Brest blockade and are either sailing south for the Mediterranean or west to the Caribbean. Either way we have been ordered to sail but not to follow the French but to shadow a Spanish squadron which left Cadiz this morning to join up with the French. We have known of this for some time, hence the refitting of our ships. Now we have a definite destination, The Azores island group. It may be that this is where they will meet with the French squadron. Together they will make a strong force. We will sail with all haste to bring the Spanish to battle before they can join forces with the French. Gentlemen your order await, God speed and God Save the King.”

Jack collected his orders and was rowed back to his command. He called a conference of his officers and told them the gist of the Admirals briefing and that they had orders to sail to the Azores. Hopefully he would have time to get the feel of his new command during the voyage and to feel the mettle of the crew. It would be a hard journey but one he knew he would acquit himself well.