Thread: AAR: Novembers Mission: Last Roll of the Dice.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Default AAR: Novembers Mission: Last Roll of the Dice.

A dispatched has arrived from the home fleet:

Sir, it grieves me to inform you that in April 1797, 16 ships-of-the-line of the Channel fleet refused to sail, and mounted a collective mutiny at Spithead.

Their demands were concerned with improved pay and conditions, and better treatment in general. Some officers considered, to ill treat their crews were sent ashore, and their permanent removal demanded. The mutiny at Spithead was conducted in a peaceful and organised manner and within a few weeks their demands had been met and a Royal Pardon granted.

A second mutiny at the Nore in May 1797 was potentially more serious, as the mutineers attempted to go beyond the demands made at Spithead. They wanted more shore leave, fairer distribution of prize money, and changes to the Articles of War. When they attempted to blockade the Thames, an important trade route to London, it took a much more serious turn. The Admiralty, which must have felt it had been lenient and generous with the Spithead mutineers, was determined not to accede to any more demands. When the government demanded the suppression of the mutiny and the Prime Minister, William Pitt the Younger, brought in a bill to outlaw the mutineers, disagreements amongst them rose to the fore. Finally, the Nore mutiny fell apart and the mutineers paid the price. The leader of the delegates was court-martialled and hanged from the yardarm of HMS Sandwich, followed by a number of his fellow mutineers, and many others were imprisoned or flogged.

The news has quickly spread throughout your squadron of the mutiny amongst the ships of the home fleet, and that strong measures have been taken to put this mutiny down. 2 days later a picket ship has reached harbour that a strong enemy squadron is sailing down the coast towards the squadron’s base.

You give the signal for the captains of the squadron to repair aboard for orders. As the ship captains head back towards their command you can see on some ships that a flag has been hoisted.
    “Mutiny be damned.”

“What ship has hoisted that signal, quick man, quick”. Sir Henry paced the deck....”Beggin your pardon Sir but it’s Dunkirk, Captain Unions command!” Sir Henry turned round in disbelief, “What, confound it I don’t believe it”. But he could now see clear as day that Dunkirk had raised an upside down ensign. “Sir, Captain Union is not aboard as he was sorely wounded in the engagement with the French 74 and is ashore in hospital. “Bother and damnation”. His flag officer then pointed out towards the harbour entrance, “Sir the fort, a signal”. Taking a glass the 3rd officer quickly took a slate and copied down the signal as it was hoisted by the harbour fort. “Well man, what does it read, do I have to wait all day?” The 3rd officer gulped and replied “Strange sail sighted to the north Sir.” “Are we expecting reinforcements Captain Smith?” “None Sir”. “Then it can only be the French. The winds against them so we have time. Signal Morpeth to stay in harbour. All other ships, with the exception of Dunkirk to make sail, form up on the Flag and death to the French!”

Signals were quickly hoisted and ships made ready to sail. Northumberland taking the lead due to her anchorage in the harbour, followed by Sovereign, Africa and Alnwick.

Name:  The final throw of the dice 002 (640x360).jpg
Views: 328
Size:  99.8 KB

The depleted squadron was soon clear of the harbour and under battle sails heading for the French. Captain Smith remarked, “They are led by 2 frigates Sir, Then it look like 2 74’s another frigate and the last is a 3 decker!”

Name:  The final throw of the dice 003 (640x360).jpg
Views: 284
Size:  107.3 KB

“Just about even then, let’s be having them by jove”.
    “looks like they may be forming 2 lines Sir”, “Good we’ll sail right down the middle and take them out 1 by 1.”

Name:  The final throw of the dice 004 (640x360).jpg
Views: 295
Size:  115.7 KB

Name:  The final throw of the dice 007 (640x360).jpg
Views: 286
Size:  116.0 KB

The French line began to make subtle course corrections and keeping with British doctrine as the French frigates had not fired, they were ignored. With guns double shotted Lord Henry hoped they might steal the day.

Name:  The final throw of the dice 009 (640x360).jpg
Views: 282
Size:  131.0 KB

Northumberland took the first blow then a French frigate, opened fire on Royal Sovereign.

Name:  The final throw of the dice 010 (640x360).jpg
Views: 581
Size:  141.0 KB

Africa unleashed a hail of iron at the French frigate which nearly rolled over as the double shot, close range broadside slammed home.

Name:  The final throw of the dice 013 (640x360).jpg
Views: 815
Size:  146.1 KB

Royal Sovereign exchanged a broadside with Dugay Trouin as Northumberland exchanged a broadside with Aquilon and the 3rd French frigate.

Name:  The final throw of the dice 014 (640x360).jpg
Views: 521
Size:  153.0 KB

Alnwick watched the battle unfurl.

Name:  The final throw of the dice 019 (640x360).jpg
Views: 399
Size:  115.1 KB

Africa turned to engage Dugay Trouin and could only engage with her forward division as Dugay and a French frigate hit Africa hard.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27689[/ATTACH

]Name:  The final throw of the dice 024 (640x360).jpg
Views: 711
Size:  149.7 KB

Royal Sovereign closed with the large French 3 decker and exchanged broadsides at pistol range.

Name:  The final throw of the dice 026 (640x360).jpg
Views: 271
Size:  147.2 KB

Aquilon was gaining speed with the wind behind her as Africa and Dugay Trouin engaged and forced Trouin to strike. Alnwick closed in to give support where needed. The 3rd French frigate let fly a mistimed broadside which fell short of Alnwicks prow.

Name:  The final throw of the dice 030 (640x360).jpg
Views: 512
Size:  140.5 KB

Name:  The final throw of the dice 027 (640x360).jpg
Views: 511
Size:  141.3 KB

The leading French frigates where making good there escape closely followed by Aquilon.

Name:  The final throw of the dice 029 (640x360).jpg
Views: 408
Size:  120.3 KB

Commerce de Marseilles, the French 3 decker, was engaged by Northumberland and Alnwick as Royal Sovereign turned and reloaded her stbd broadside. With all of her crew dead or wounded she lowered her colours and surrendered as the remaining French ships beat a hasty retreat.

Attachment 27694

The Butchers Bill

Name:  The final throw of the dice 035 (360x640).jpg
Views: 265
Size:  137.6 KB
    Commerce de Marseilles: Hull damage 6/ Crew lost 12/Struck
    Aquilon: Hull damage 2/ Crew lost 4/RTP
    Hermione: Hull damage 6/ crew lost 3/RTP
    Seraphim: no damage/RTP
    Dugay Trouin: Hull damage 6/ crew lost 10/Struck
    Dryad: No damage/RTP

Name:  The final throw of the dice 036 (640x360).jpg
Views: 264
Size:  132.5 KB
    HMS Royal Sovereign: Hull damage 3/ crew lost 6/RTP/Captures Commerce de Marseilles.
    HMS Alnwick: Hull damage 0/ crew lost 1 (Due to last mission sails with 9 not 10 crew)/RTP
    HMS Northumberland: Hull damage 3/ crew lost 5/RTP
    HMS Africa: Hull damage 2/ crew lost 5/RTP/Captures Dugay Trouin.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Union Jack; 01-24-2017 at 15:38.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A great feat of arms Sir Henry. It will be talked about in old England for many the day.
    Bligh.

Also what superb photos of the battle.
    I especially liked this one.

And this.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 01-25-2017 at 04:46.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

A solid win, I too applaud your photography. I love the way you do your bases too. How did you make them?

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

I have about 40 Langtons. They were based on Langon bases but these were of differing sizes and none would fit the SoG blue base. I really wanted them to fit as the rigging and sails are being damaged by constant handling. So I sent off for 50 laser cut clear acryllic bases the same size as the clear SoG bases and voila, they fit. However for my own use I like them flat with the gaming surface, hence what you see in the pics. The arc cards fit underneath and I'm in he process of making and printing them on clear acetate.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Oh, I'd love to see the pictures of your new bases when they come in. Clear plastic makes them look far more scenic on the gaming table than the bases that come with the SOG ships.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

The bases are as you see in the pics, its just the gun arc ones that I'm printing on clear acetate paper to put underneath. At present I'm using the card ones from SoG ships.