Thread: A Sorry tale of the two Katushas

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

Default A Sorry tale of the two Katushas

So it is with great despair I bring this bad news...............My family has two rather active four legged "fur kids". Ash and Cinder are both domestic short hair cats and being gray in color blend a little too well into any shadows that exist in our home.....They also enjoy what I affectionately call "cat racing", and are also very adept at high speed "passes" over peoples laps , tables, beds. (You can kind of get the idea of where this is going). Well my son and I decided to play a scenario with the new ships. and it was going very well for Carson, and very badly for me by the way. So we have a card table set up and are in the fifth turn when like clock work Ash begins to wind up for their regular cat race...............Faster than a set of thrown dice, two gray furballs streak under the table upsetting the counter box, so with hundreds of counters flying they knock over my son's drink into the game box, and my binder of course hits the floor and releases all the pages into said drink. Both of us made a mad dash to try to gather up the pages etc when the two sprang the second part of the katusha attack. Cinder jumps up on the table. she weighs about as much as a puff ball, no problem there, it is Ash at almost 15 lbs that creates the havoc. He lands on the table, and of course the blue cloth map with ships and ship displays etc slides. I wish I had a high speed camera because he panicked and tried to go the direction he wanted to but gravity and physics would not let him... off the end of the table and tangled up in the cloth map.. landed on the floor. It is not a pretty site to see a 15 lb panicked cat, now turned scared cat, trying to get out of a situation where they
    are tangled on their backs. The general rule with cats...............panicky, angry, scared felines armed with four sets of claws and a set of teeth are not one you want to mess with so all we could do is watch as he fought his way out..............So much for the game afternoon. The only thing hurt in the making of this disaster was 4 ships with broken masts, a huge jumble of counters on the floor and a general mess to clean up. So while we were doing that and cursing the two furballs, they just sat in the shadows watching their two human staff clean up after their play time :)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Demon cats!! While I like cats (and dogs) there's no way either one could live in this household for reasons you've made painfully clear above. Sorry tale indeed.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Salem, our Black cat seems to be able to pick his way through an army without touching a single model.
    I was astounded the first time he did it. He is, however adept at sitting on any piece of paper or rulebook which you need for the very next move.

Name:  IMG_0071.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  136.2 KB

Rob.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Salem: "Go on I dare you, make your move ship and you're mine, mine I tell you" (Ha and those two sneaking up behind will get the cat o'one tails if they close up on my stern too!)

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

Oh I cannot stop myself; "Avast ye mate,fire up my stern and I will heave too and give some good ole raking fire.................:)

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I had a cat many years ago who jumped up into my bookcase and turned in the air landing on the out most inch and elegantly move around my one foot long model of Wasa to sit next to it and then push it off the shelf with her paw. She thought that space was a perfect place to sleep if she just could get rid of the ship that was in the way.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The mere thought of that makes me cry as well Jonas.
    At least the only thing Salem pushes off are pens and pencils. He takes a delight in that.
    His other favourite trick is when he wants attention if I am at the computer. He walks up the keyboard making nonsense of what I am writing and then sits on my hand working the mouse to prevent me doing anything about it.
    I guess it's feeding time old boy.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Yes, she played with pencils too, but never to my knowledge never broke anything else willfully like that. She might have pushed a flower pot off the ledge when getting too caught up in something she saw outside the window when I think of it. I still miss her even though it's more than 10 years since she passed. She was over 21 years old then.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Salem is about ten now as far as the vet can figure. He was about one year old when he turned up on our doorstep one winters day. He must like it because he stayed even when we were looking after my son's pair of cats for a year.
    Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Maybe it's a good thing Junior's a couch potato like his grandma... based on you guys' furballs, I hate to imagine the ruckus a similar-size tyrannosaur could stir up. lol
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Maybe it's a good thing Junior's a couch potato like his grandma... based on you guys' furballs, I hate to imagine the ruckus a similar-size tyrannosaur could stir up. lol
    Good one DB.

Just make sure to keep your heating at a low level, and air con in the summer. You don't want him getting overactive. It would be like having your own Ironclad amongst the sailing ships.

Rob.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Good one DB.

Just make sure to keep your heating at a low level, and air con in the summer. You don't want him getting overactive. It would be like having your own Ironclad amongst the sailing ships.

Rob.
    Ash has a real curious streak , he is 11 years old, and runs like a tyrannosaurus through a china shop. While I am doing school work he sits on my laptop, he plays with the mouse, and just generally sticks close by. Gaming is just a new series of toys to knock about. I have a table set up in my laundry room, but we decided to set up in the rec room, shame on us. So that is our lives with cats.....................

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Good one DB.

Rob.
    LOL Problem is, we don't do cold either! I've had to deal with the Evil Old Crab refusing to leave her bed and telecommuting the last two workweeks because of cold weather... And as for my ships, they've regrettably only left the Ares boxes to go into my storage cases... there just ain't much historical miniatures scene out here past the end of the bus line in the Cascade Mountains foothills, or even in the Concrete Jungle. :( (That said, I think the little guy was looking enviously at the Constitution pack and Wings WWI poster I shipped off to my aunt and uncle for Christmas...)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Phosphor, The Wonder Kitten -- now a 14.5-lb. part-Siamese cat: http://www.bidalaka.com/picofarad/pf....html#phosphor .

And *that* is why you never get AARs from me.... :)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

At least Salem only collects birds and mice.
    When younger we did have a game where we threw an airflow ball up the stairs, anh chased and then tried to catch it as it bounced back down.
    Rob.