Thread: What's on your workbench for October?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default What's on your workbench for October?

I have just started a Merchantman with furled sails from Langton Miniatures to augment the vessels in my harbour.

Name:  IMG_3599.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  121.3 KB

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What's on your Workbench for May.
    Well I finally got back to my workbench today for the first time since October, and began to get the masts crossed.

Name:  IMG_4314.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  224.0 KB

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Still lots of ships to rig with the new wave, plus helping out Ensign Patch with his ships. So lot to do

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Nice, Rob!

Got roped into an engineering project for one of my cop buddies again... I give you Project Gremlin, in a preliminary parts mockup determining overall size.

The concept is an in-between personal-defense/close-quarters weapon for cases when the duty or off-duty sidearm isn't enough, but a full patrol rifle is overkill, too unwieldy or attracts too much unwanted attention--once the rear fold's on, this thing should fit comfortably in a duffel, satchel or attache case, even with another two inches of blast delector sticking out on the right side. (Missing: 10.3"-barreled upper receiver assembly, rail system, side-folder adapter, angled foregrip, folding maingrip, flash-arresting brake, blast deflector.) Basically a Navy EOD-issue PDW's top half mated with a pistol bottom to make its short barrel legal.

It's living up to its name as a "nasty, evil little green thing"... the only reason I still have a usable right eye after the little bastard tried to attack me with one of its own spring-loaded parts yesterday morning was that my glasses were assembled with polycarbonate lenses so I'm wearing safety glasses 24/7.

Moral of the Story: Wear your safety glasses, folks--it's IMPORTANT!
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

An interesting little project DB. It will be great to see the finished item. A far cry from my Flinters. Hope it brings you in some hard earned greenbacks.
    Eyes are vulnerable as you say. Having only one that works makes you even more aware of this.
    I have had the poly lenses ever since they were available, and they have saved my eye whilst working Lathes on more than one occasion.
    Just glad to hear that your argument with the "evil little green thing" was no worse.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My ship is now masted and re undercoated ready for painting.

Name:  IMG_4321.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  121.8 KB

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    An interesting little project DB. It will be great to see the finished item. A far cry from my Flinters. Hope it brings you in some hard earned greenbacks.
    Eyes are vulnerable as you say. Having only one that works makes you even more aware of this.
    I have had the poly lenses ever since they were available, and they have saved my eye whilst working Lathes on more than one occasion.
    Just glad to hear that your argument with the "evil little green thing" was no worse.
    Rob.
    No money in this one, my friend--this is one of the crowd that took me under their collective wing in college, and a chance to square things a little for the mentorship back then when The Ex's life depended on it. Besides, with the amount of paperwork, taxes, fees to be a pro gunsmith even for one project... Basically, we're working up a spec and "DIY Part List" for his colleagues to assemble their own--and we'll already have to do some rework, because the handguard in that pic is one of the last of its kind that will ever be made.

You do realize I'm jealous of the steady hand your builds take, right? (Mine is basically banging away with hammers and twisting screwdrivers and Allen wrenches...)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sorry to hear it's a payback DB.
    As for a steady hand, I'm having to psych myself up ready to paint a white line along the side.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I'm not, Rob--gunsmithing is a hobby for me; taking money for it means licenses, and taxes, and fees, and undesirable meddlesome busybodies asking undesirable questions, which suck all the joy out of craftsmanship. :) Helping a friend bring a project to reality, AND getting to keep the first prototype myself, is all the "pay" I need on things like this.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

My ship is now masted and re undercoated ready for painting.

Name:  IMG_4321.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  121.8 KB

Rob.
    First time I have seen one of these kits, very nice!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Speaking o Indiamen and workbenches... Dave, if you find yourself with time and interest after Wave Four drops I might be interested in hiring you for a little project reworking my French SGN116's.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Painting underway.

Name:  IMG_4338.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  129.6 KB

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Nice! And a cute little matching baby gunboat alongside... :p
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That little boat has been hanging around ever since I did the Harbour, and I thought I'd get it done whilst I was waiting for bits on the ship to dry. I thought it would be great for landing parties.
    Rob.

Painting underway.

Name:  IMG_4338.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  129.6 KB

Rob.
    Looking good Rob. Nice to see you indulging in the 1/1200 "dark side"

Here is what's on the stocks in my shipyard for May.
    Name:  20170506_210812.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  226.0 KB
    Name:  20170506_210844.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  208.8 KB
    Name:  20170507_192048.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  192.5 KB

Still have a lot of modification and painting left to do.

Regards to all,
    Vol

Hello Rob, as say Vol, welcome to the dark side of the 1/1200

My project for May is this...

Name:  20170508_193928.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  128.7 KB

A port of the nineteenth century but with a strong presence of medieval urbanism.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking good already Julian.
    I was having a drink with Sea legs today and your name came up, as he is preparing to start a port and some landscape. I suggested that he have a look at your stuff for some ideas.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Looking good Rob. Nice to see you indulging in the 1/1200 "dark side"

Here is what's on the stocks in my shipyard for May.
    Name:  20170506_210812.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  226.0 KB

Vol
    Now 1:450 really is on the dark side Vol.
    I am in the shadow it casts even from here.
    Rob.

Looking good already Julian.
    I was having a drink with Sea legs today and your name came up, as he is preparing to start a port and some landscape. I suggested that he have a look at your stuff for some ideas.
    Rob.
    For any query, if I can be of help, do not hesitate to consult me.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

First problem he has given me is finding the address of where I got that super dense blue polystyrene foam from.
    Like a fool I never saved it, and it was about eight years ago! The only place I found in England that would ship small quantities!
    Rob.

You can look in a "merchant stores building material". This material is usually used as acoustic and thermal insulation and it is very cheap.

I dont know if this can be usefull for you.

http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Raw-Mate...m-blue/ITM4910

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That looks like just the ticket thanks Julián. I will let Sea Legs know.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

A productive and educational lunch-hour with the new drill...

Gremlin's FCG pinholes: Like the drill was riding well-oiled rails.
    Trigger slot ends: Took some doing, but got knocked through OK.
    Trigger slot as a whole: OOPS. Shoulda drilled a pilot hole at dead center first along with two smaller pilots or the ends... that thin web between the two 5/16" end-bores is gonna get nasty without it.

And this crap is a lot harder work than I remember it being twenty years ago in Shop class...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Now 1:450 really is on the dark side Vol.
    I am in the shadow it casts even from here.
    Rob.
    Ha! It's only the second one I have ever done. I need to give these old eyes a break once in a while with something bigger.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I know the feeling Vol. My son has just got me one of those headband led lights to help me with seeing the edges of changing contours on my models.
    I must admit it is far better than the spot light that I was using before.
    Rob.

I know the feeling Vol. My son has just got me one of those headband led lights to help me with seeing the edges of changing contours on my models.
    I must admit it is far better than the spot light that I was using before.
    Rob.
    I have one of those large circular flourescent lamps with the large magnifying glass in the center, plus a pair of prescription close up "coke bottle lens" glasses just for painting. And I still do a lousy job!

Almost have the rigging done. Then the base and oar banks. It will have to wait a couple of weeks while I'm up north.
    Name:  20170516_222241.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  144.1 KB
    Name:  20170516_222257.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  145.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have one of those large circular flourescent lamps with the large magnifying glass in the center, plus a pair of prescription close up "coke bottle lens" glasses just for painting. And I still do a lousy job!
    I also have one of those Vol, but whilst it is very good for general lighting, the headband seems to pick out the demarkation between one part and another far better.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Almost have the rigging done. Then the base and oar banks. It will have to wait a couple of weeks while I'm up north.
    Name:  20170516_222241.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  144.1 KB
    Name:  20170516_222257.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  145.3 KB
    Well that looks absolutely superb Vol. I always find large models far more unforgiving with slight mistakes when painting.
    Well done shipmate.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Just completed my first AR-pattern lower receiver. Due to some machining OOPSes, think this one will be built as a .22LR plinker, and its Lessons Learned will be applied to do better on the next one out of the box for Gremlin.

Next pass on mocking up the monster, now with angled foregrip installed...

Still missing rear fold section, barrel and major internal components, but starting to come together--you can see a definite shape emerging, and half its onboard lighting system* awaiting mount. (Not shown: un-barreled upper receiver, muzzle brake, blast deflector, muzzle cap and tether, thumb rest, sight-mounted light rails, spare magazine carriers.)
    *Two reasons for a weaponlight: illuminate your own way, and blind threats. With my light sensitive eyes, no one light can do both, so I plan a low-power red beam for my own use and a high-power white for when I want to level the playing field by blinding everyone in the room.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking very 21st cent DB. You might even say Sci Fi.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

LOL, an apt reference since the design goal was to break up the "gun" shape for discreet carry just in case it printed against a soft-side case. "This is not the gun you're looking for, you can go about your business, move along..." LOL It's capable of firing a single shot with the buffer assembly folded, but while you could also fire it with the grip folded I can promise you'd wish you hadn't. LOL

Almost hard to believe it's all stuff considered "Yesterday's News," isn't it?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Well that looks absolutely superb Vol. I always find large models far more unforgiving with slight mistakes when painting.
    Well done shipmate.
    Rob.
    You are right there Rob! Every little flaw shows up more the larger it gets. This model has weeks invested in it. The ratlines alone took three days. And I am still not completely satisfied with the results.