Thread: Line Astern

Midshipman
    New Zealand

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Default Line Astern

In our last two games, involving three 3rd Raters and one 1st Rater per side, both commanders opted to deploy line astern with their 1st Raters at the end of the line.

For my part this was to avoid collisions as the 1st Rater was slower. However, with such a deployment there is a risk the 1st Rater won't be involved.

How do others deploy and why?
    Last edited by TWR; 09-12-2016 at 00:29.
    Visit "The Wargames Room":
    http://thewargamesroom.wordpress.com

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

I house ruled it so that you make a move for the first ship and if you wish you can use the same card for the rest of the ships in the line. I feel it creates a more historically accurate battle.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Not used 3 deckers too much but they do seem to have been the last ship in the line in the games they have been used.
    I like the house rule of using one card for the whole battle line until the order to "close in for action" occurs.
    I hope to soon put ona large scale game to iron out a number of house rules for a fleet action set.
    I know Ares are planning some fleet rules, but I would like to use my fleet before drawing my pension....... Oh sorry did that come out loud

Midshipman
    New Zealand

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Have people tried changing the speed of the 1st Raters by increasing and decreasing sail?

I haven't tried this myself yet but the relative lack of action by my flag ship the Commerce de Marseille makes me wonder if something like this would work. If she had been further up the line I suspect she would have been most useful.
    Visit "The Wargames Room":
    http://thewargamesroom.wordpress.com

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Not used 3 deckers too much but they do seem to have been the last ship in the line in the games they have been used.
    I like the house rule of using one card for the whole battle line until the order to "close in for action" occurs.
    I hope to soon put ona large scale game to iron out a number of house rules for a fleet action set.
    I know Ares are planning some fleet rules, but I would like to use my fleet before drawing my pension....... Oh sorry did that come out loud
    Will that be half pay Chris? I am already drawing mine.

My three Deckers have also had very little use thus far.
    I always use the rule for line astern copy the ship ahead until action is joined.
    I am currently working out some simple signal flags so that the person in command of the Squadron can signal orders to other ships by general signal or private signal. Should cause no end of confusion as each Captain trys to interpret it.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    Have people tried changing the speed of the 1st Raters by increasing and decreasing sail?

I haven't tried this myself yet but the relative lack of action by my flag ship the Commerce de Marseille makes me wonder if something like this would work. If she had been further up the line I suspect she would have been most useful.
    I vary sail settings for all my ships to allow the poor sailers to keep station Keith, but have not used the three Deckers very much yet, but for what it's worth yes.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

I have tried line astern varying the faster ships sail settings - I found its not easy, and needs occasional adjustments. I think Hugh has the right idea, I may adopt it for my mixed squadrons run by the AI...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I find half the fun is changing thee sails settings on the ships Richard.
    It often happened in real actions that ships ranged alongside ones that they were intended to be following.
    Also the ones that fell behind and were overtaken by faster sailers anxious to be first into action. Even Nelson had problems with this.
    However, we all find what is best for us in the game, and what works for one may not work for someone else.
    Whatever gives you the most fun, do it.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

I agree, I would only use the auto follow rule for a solo fleet, I too, find it fun changing sail and bearing to keep position!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I have used first rates in battle and for the French this has mostly been done by the flagship having full sails followed by third rates at battle sails. The British have been using HMS Victory and she's as fast as the slower third rates (captured Téméraires).
    Last edited by TexaS; 09-13-2016 at 22:20.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I think that all of the slowest sail settings for at least 1st and 3rd rates are the same, allowing for line ahead formations to proceed without constant sail changes. I'm pretty sure the formation is called line ahead,.... unless you're a Pierson's Puppeteer

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I think that all of the slowest sail settings for at least 1st and 3rd rates are the same, allowing for line ahead formations to proceed without constant sail changes. I'm pretty sure the formation is called line ahead,.... unless you're a Pierson's Puppeteer
    Yes that is true. In the mega battles we've played at "Enfilade!" conference the last few years, as long as a fleet is still sailing in formation, then everyone uses backing sails (aka "line of battle speed") and it pretty much keeps everything in formation automatically.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Most of the juggling with sails seems to come when a line has to change heading if it wishes ti maintain its distances and turn on exactly the spot of the preceding ship.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Also, its necessary to jiggle sail settings if you are in a hurry, and unable to plod along at backing sails. I may have to try the backing sails option sometime to see how it affects game play?