Thread: Sculpt Status: Trafalgar Campaign

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Default Sculpt Status: Trafalgar Campaign

As a kickoff to the discussion at http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...4160#post64160 , since we know Trafalgar to be one of the key actions Ares is building the game around that would make it a logical starting point for assessing needed sculpts.

How to read these tables:
    Leftmost column on each half is ships that haven't been positively ID'ed to fit an existing sculpt. Rightmost is specific ships that have already been either released or announced. In between we have unprinted existing or announced sculpts--these are not comment about whether these ships specifically are coming, just that a sculpt for them has been announced.

Cape Finisterre
    Rate British Fleet Sculpted/In Dev Released French/Spanish Fleet Sculpted/In Dev Released
    1-2 Barfleur 98: Barfleur
    London 98: Windsor Castle
    Duke 98: Glory
    1790 Boyne 98: Prince of Wales
    3 Alfred 74: Warrior
    one-off Rule 74 Dragon
    one-off Henslow 74 Repulse
    1802 Fame 74: Hero
    Wave 4 Tonnant 80: Malta
    SGN104 Slade Large 74: Ajax, Triumph
    SGN104 Slade Common 74: Thunderer
    Wave 4 Generic British 64: Agamemnon, Raisonnable
    SGN104 Slade Common 74: Defiance Sp. 80 cl. unk. San Rafael
    Sp. Montanes 80/Ildefonso 74: Argonauta (Sp. 80), Intrepide (Fr. 74)
    Sp. 74's cl. unk. Terrible, Firme
    ex-Sp. French 74's, cl. unk.: Atlas
    Sp. 64's América, España
    Wave 4 Tonnant 80: Bucentaure, Formidable, Indomptable, Neptune
    SGN102 Temeraire 74: Pluton, Mont-Blanc, Scipion, Aigle, Achille, Algésiras
    SGN104 Slade Common 74: Berwick, Swiftsure
    4-5 frigate ex-Fr. Forte 40: Egyptienne
    Fr. Minerve 40 clone: 36 Sirius
    Fr. Coquille 40: Sirene, Themis SGN105 as Virginie 44: Cornelie, Rhin, Didon
    SGN105 as Hortense 40: Hortense, Hermione
    Unrated Lugger Nile
    Cutter Frisk

Frigate Action of 10 Aug 1805
    Rate British Fleet Sculpted/In Dev Released French/Spanish Fleet Sculpted/In Dev Released
    4-5 frigate Perseverance 36: Phoenix SGN105 as Virginie 44: Didon

Trafalgar
    1-2 London 98: Prince
    Dreadnought 98: Neptune, Temeraire, Dreadnought
    SGN201 (nd) Victory
    SGN108 (nd) Britannia, Royal Sovereign
    SGN2xx Sp. 136 Santissima Trinidad
    Sp. 100 Rayo
    SGN111 Sp. Meregildos 112: Santa Ana, Principe de Asturias
    3 Canada 74: Orion
    Carnatic 74: Leviathan, Minotaur
    Colossus 74: Colossus
    Mars 74: Mars
    Mod. Mars 74: Conqueror
    one-off Swiftsure 74
    one-off Revenge 74
    W4 Tonnant 80: Tonnant
    SGN102 Temeraire/clone 74: Belleisle, Achille
    SGN104 as Slade Lg 74: Ajax
    SGN104 Slade Common 74: Thunderer
    W4 Ardent 64: Agamemnon
    W4 as Intrepid/Inflexible: Polyphemus
    SGN102 A2 Spartiate
    SGN104 KS4A Bellerophon, KS4B Defiance, SS4A Defence
    Montanes 80/Ildefonso 74: Neptuno (Sp. 80), Monarca (Sp. 80), Montanes (Sp. 80), Argonauta (Sp. 80), Intrepide (Fr. 74), Ildefonso (Sp. 74)
    Sp. Landa 64 (=Ildefonso sculpt): San Leandro
    W4 Tonnant 80: Formidable, Bucentaure, Neptune, Indomptable
    SGN102 Temeraire 74: Scipion, Mont-Blanc, Duguay-Trouin*, Heros, Pluton, Algeciras, Aigle, Argonaute, Achille
    SGN112 Sp. Gautier 74: San Austin, San Francisco de Asis, San Justo, San Juan Nepomuceno
    SGN112 as Sp. 74 Bahama
    SGN102 KS2B Redoutable, KS2A Fougueux
    SGN104 A2 Swiftsure, A1 Berwick
    4-5 two-decker
    4-5 frigate Fr. Minerve/clone 40: 36 Sirius
    1795 Amazon 38: Naiad
    Phoebe 36: Phoebe
    Apollo 36: Euryalus
    Fr. Coquille 40: Themis SGN105 as Virginie 44: Cornelie, Rhin
    SGN105 as Hortense 40: Hortense, Hermione
    6 QD
    6 flush-deck
    unrated 10 cutter Entreprenante
    8 schooner Pickle
    Abeille 18 gun-brig: Furet
    Vigilant 16 gun-brig: Argus
    *This is a different DT than the one we have; at least three Temeraire hulls wore this name

Cape Ortegal
    3 one-off 80 Caesar
    one-off 74 1800 Courageux
    1750 Amdt 90 razee-74 Namur
    W4 Tonnant 80: Formidable (68)
    SGN102 Temeraire 74: Scipion, Duguay-Trouin, Mont-Blanc
    4-5 frigate Fr. Seine 40: Revolutionnaire
    Perseverance 36: Phoenix
    Sp. Gautier 34 Santa Margarita (36)
    Amphion 32: Aeolus
    Last edited by Diamondback; 09-24-2016 at 11:12.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Boiling all this down to sculpts we need to talk about, we're still looking at some big questions.

Three-deckers
    British, we only really have a sculpt of Victory (IMHO over-stretched on SGN108 which was done over my protests), so that's our sole point of comparison. I need to round up draughts for her (I'll also add 1745 Est. 100 and 1786 Royal Sovereign for comparison) along with the Barfleur, London, Duke, 1790 Boyne and Dreadnought 98's. French, we don't even need to discuss since they had no tripledeckers in this fight. Spanish are going to be interesting... I need to see if there's a Meregildos draught at Greenwich, there's a plan for Santissima Trinidad in the Russian naval archives at St. Petersburg of all places. If there's no plan for post-rebuild Rayo in Madrid, we might have to use her un-rebuilt sister HMS Gibraltar for a start point and guess about the added third deck.

80-gunners: The only truly British 80 here is one-off Caesar. I would propose to compare her draught to her designer's closest contemporary 74's (ideally one each before/after) to see i she can be done with a 74 sculpt as a "buffed version." There were no surviving French 80's before Tonnant as of this timeframe, so the French are nailed down in Wave 4. Spanish, the Montanes 80 and Ildefonso 74 differ only in minor details--same basic hull with ballast changes and a few more ports cut. However, there's also San Rafael, an 80 of unknown provenance in the mix.

74-gunners: Here's where we have our work cut out for us. The Alfred and Canada classes were both competitors to Slade's Common 74 family, so it would be logical to compare their draughts to Bellona. The various post-Slade designs aren't going to be so simple... Dragon, Repulse, 1802 Fame, Carnatic, Colossus, Mars, Conqueror, Swiftsure, Revenge, 1800 Courageux, razee Namur. Almost a dozen different designs we need to compare and cluster into groups to see how they can be reduced to a handful of sculpts. I've already been lobbying for an Armada sculpt as a Middling 74 (Temeraire equivalent), and Carnatic piggybacks on with that as another descendant of 1761 Courageux. French, most were Temeraires which are tooled, so that just leaves us Atlas (ex Spanish Atalante, little design data) and we're on to the Spanish with a note of caution. The wave three sculpt is based on Bahama as-captured over my reservations, after she was rebuilt from a 64 up to a 74--if somebody could find blueprints for Francisco Gautier's designs in the Spanish archives, or if we can find a draught of San Juan at Greenwich, that would be comforting for "Let Those Who Ride Decide" comparison. Which leaves us with Terrible and Firme (or Ferme?), two more Spanish 74s of unknown design.

Frigates: For British designs we only have a 12-pounder 32 to compare things to--most frigate gundecks fall into three patterns (26x12#, 26x18#, 28x18#) with the same 12# hull being anything from a 26 to a 40 depending on installations in the upperworks. I need to rustle up draughts for 1773 Amazon (sculpt and reference sample), Perseverance, Amphion, Apollo, Phoebe and 1795 Amazon. On the French side I need drawings for Hebe (reference sculpt, with Virginie and Hortense being improved versions), along with Seine, Minerve and Coquille. Spanish we have one single Gautier-designed 34, with no announced reference sample yet but the most logical sculpt for Ares to cut is probably a Mahonesa.

Unrateds: Oh, do we have a pain here. It might be easiest to omit them, but I have a feeling that French Abeille and Vigilant gun-brigs may show up again elsewhere. Pickle, Entreprenante, Nile and Frisk are the problem, and I half expect them to be unsculptably small.

Anything I've missed here, or am I off on the hunt to find plan scans, crop at waterline and rescale them for comparison? Also, given that Victory's original draught is badly deteriorated but the 1810 Boynes are a plank-for-plank replication of Victory at Trafalgar, would it be more appropriate to use the Boyne draught as a "holotype" for better clarity?

My personal files include straight saves of NMM Greenwich's website scans of...
    --Three-deckers: Victory/Boyne, 1745 Est. 100, susp. 1786 Royal Sovereign, Meregildos, London (original and Prince as-stretched mid-life), Duke, 1790 Boyne, Dreadnought.
    --80-gunners: Caesar was designed by Edward Hunt, about 3.5m longer and 1m wider than the Ganges 74's. I have draughts for both.
    --74-gunners: Bellona (reference sculpt), Alfred, Fame, Colossus, Mars, Conqueror, Swiftsure, Revenge, Carnatic, Courageux, Repulse, Canada, Dragon. No draughts found for post-cutdown Namur yet.

Frigates I'm going to drill a little deeper into, using the French designation system as it's more logical. Santa Margarita is not included in this list.
    --French 30x24: Forte
    --28x18: *1795 Amazon
    --French 26x18: Hebe (reference sculpt), *Minerve, Seine
    --26x18: Perseverance, *Amphion, *Phoebe, *Apollo
    --French 28x12: Coquille
    --French 26x12: Concorde (reference sculpt)
    --26x12: *1773 Amazon (reference sculpt)
    *Draught in my personal files.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 09-08-2016 at 00:28.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

The unrated is not really needed as they never took part in the actual fighting.

I would love to have them sculpted, but I don't think many wargamers would bother. The table will be filled anyway.