Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Default Directing Research, Part 2: Pick Your Battles

Spinning off from http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...pment-Research

Right now, we have ships in the Sails line that can fit into everything from the 1740s (Thomas Slade's family of Common 74's are derived from one of the first French 74's, 1744 L'Invincible and the Ardent-class 64 sculpt from Wave 4 was a direct clone of the 1747 French Lis trio of 64's) up to the Second Barbary War of 1815-16 and possibly actions up to about 1818.

Here's where you guys need to weigh in, as I am more of a "technician" brought in to read the blueprints and break down the Orders of Battle and work the mechanical/technical questions rather than a Sailing Era naval-historian. (Professionally my area of focus is divided between WWII at sea and the Southwest Pacific theater.) I need you to define the most important battles of that timeframe--each of you pick one battle that you deem the most historically significant and make your best argument for why it should be first in line after my existing Target List.

After that's done, as I find draughts of the ships involved and rescale them for comparison to the existing sculpts, I'll need you guys to compare them and give up-or-down votes on each as a proposed "Extension Candidate."

The existing queue, so don't even bother mentioning any of these:
    --1805 Trafalgar Campaign (Cape Finisterre, Frigate Action of 10 Aug 1805, Trafalgar, Cape Ortegal)
    --Nile
    --3rd Ushant
    --AWI Indian Ocean Campaign
    --Linois's Indian Ocean expedition (Pulo Aura, Vizagapatam, intersects into 1806 Atlantic Campaign)
    --1806 Atlantic Campaign (San Domingo, Linois's Capture)
    --1809-1811 Mauritius Campaign (Saint-Paul, Ile Bonaparte, Grand Port, Ile de France, Tamatave, several smaller actions)
    There's a reason for my keying on those particular campaigns: limited resources and reinforcements allow the closest historical match to a typical "game campaign" with the same groups of ships facing off repeatedly. Admittedly, some of these selections are because I already have some work done on them...

IN PROGRESS
    --1805 Trafalgar campaign: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...4164#post64164

DONE
    (will list and link discussions as they're finished)

Start weighing in, guys! :)
    Last edited by Diamondback; 09-07-2016 at 02:03.