Thread: Observations on frigate play

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Colin

Default Observations on frigate play

Hello all, I had a game of SoG today and had few questions for the veterans. Today's fight was on a single SoG mat, 2vs2 frigates from the starter and kickstarter, using advanced rules and some optional.
    Turn 1. With the wind coming from the east both sides closed at the green attitude from N and S.
    Turn 2. Both fleets turned broadside on, with the Brits having a ship out of range. French fired an initial broadside (a full broadside and a stem) for 7 chits, Brit frigate roars back with 6. French frigate takes a fire and leak hit, Brit takes a rudder hit, both take some hull and crew damage.
    Turn 3. Second Brit still out of range. One French does full reload, the other exchanges continuous fire with the Brit in range. Brit suffers a leak.
    Turn 4. Second French ship had a fire started by gunfire while also taking a pounding.

At this point the fleets separate a bit as the they furiously repair. With that being complete the French have a total broadside value of 3 vs the 7 that the British can muster so the French concede as both of their ships are fairly savaged.

My question is about special damage. Do you play with it? I had the feeling after the game that ships in SoG are vulnerable enough to enemy fire and that special damage really made made those frigates egg shells. I plan to play much more to better my impression but I was curious to the thoughts of others as to how the feel about how special damage adds or detracts from the feel of the game.

Colin

P.S. the details of the fight fall off a bit because of the after-action pints we had so I hope my question is clear enough.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

I use special damage. They add an element of surprise to the game. In one of the solo campaign games earlier this year I had a ship catch fire and then exploded. It made for some very cinematic play.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

I, too, use special damage, I find the reduced number of chits drawn tends to make special damage less likely when using little ships. If you like though, try weeding out some of the Fire and Leak results from the damage decks for your games, and see if it suits you better?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I use special damage, and Frigates if I want an odd half hour game.
    For longer games I tend to still use special damage, but with more 74s and first rates included instead of frigates.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I use the chits from two sets but only fire and leaks from one of the sets as those were too common to my liking.

Did you fire more than one arc of a single ship, or did I missread that? That would explane vulnerable ships.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Colin

The initial french fire was by two frigates, one in the broadside arc, the other in the stem. Reducing the amount of fire and leak chits sounds like an excellent idea. I have not played enough to decide if this damage is to common for my liking, but the suggestion sounds like a good balanced approach. Thanks to all those that replied.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    I use the chits from two sets but only fire and leaks from one of the sets as those were too common to my liking.
    I LIKE this idea. I also use special damage but sometimes wonder if the probability of intense fires and serious leaks (which is what I've always presumed these chits represent) isn't a bit overwhelming. There's no denying that they're particularly disastrous in frigate and sloop actions. TexaS' offers an easy way to better spread the normal damage out a little more. I'll have to try it...THANKS!