View Poll Results: Which Is You Favorite Movie?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Captain Horatio Hornblower 1951 - Gregory Peck

18 12.50%
  • Damn the Defiant! 1962 - Alec Guiness

3 2.08%
  • Billy Budd 1962 - Peter Ustinov

1 0.69%
  • Horatio Hornblower TV Series 1998-2003 - Ioan Griffin

35 24.31%
  • Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World 2003 - Russell Crowe

87 60.42%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Movie Is Your Favorite?

Default Which Movie Is Your Favorite?

There were only a few Napoleonic era sailing movies made. Which one is your favorite?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Only seen one, so had to pick it! lol

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    Only seen one, so had to pick it! lol
    Must have been Master and Commander. Turner Classic Movies occasionally shows the first three in the poll. I haven't seen the Horatio Hornblower series on TV in a long time. It was produced by A&E and shown on their channel. I haven't seen it anywhere else. It is eight separate TV movies following Hornblower's career from midshipman to ship captain. I have the DVD set and it is worth getting if you enjoyed Master and Commander. There are several clips on You Tube. Here is one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc_MIxPeAXc

Master and Commander.

The Hornblower Series is too expensive at the moment*. I read the books, so I'am still interested.

*Collides with the WW II planes from Ares Games...

The full 8 movie Hornblower series can be had for about $50, which isn't cheap, but not a bad value at $6.25 a movie. I was lucky and got my set a few years back as a Christmas present. I haven't watched it for a long while and may have to have my own Hornblower marathon this weekend. (I've pretty much wore out my Master and Commander DVD.)

Midshipman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Darell

Seen them all, liked them all

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Watched each of them, but have to go for Master and Commander. It is just that the cinamatography is so good.
    Bligh.

I've watched them all (many times), Master and Commander is by far the best.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

It's got to be the original Horry with Greg the Peck. Still have a copy.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    I've watched them all (many times), Master and Commander is by far the best.
    Well I also have watched some of them, but totaly agree with Gunner's comments on "Master and Commander" It just had a realism none of the others had!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Killick View Post
    Well I also have watched some of them, but totaly agree with Gunner's comments on "Master and Commander" It just had a realism none of the others had!
    I agree Alistair.
    At first I felt that it was simply better because it was more modern than the rest, but on reflection, the Director seems to have added that extra ingredient that the rest lack. It is totally believable, and the dialogue is not stilted in any way. He has followed the flavour of the novel very well.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I agree Alistair.
    At first I felt that it was simply better because it was more modern than the rest, but on reflection, the Director seems to have added that extra ingredient that the rest lack. It is totally believable, and the dialogue is not stilted in any way. He has followed the flavour of the novel very well.
    Rob.
    While the changing of the American frigate in the book to a French privateer frigate (although American built) in the movie was done so that the movie would better appeal to American audiences, it also made the change of the ending for the movie a bit more believable. The taking of a U. S. Navy 44-gun frigate by a sloop, instead of the frigate wrecking in a storm in the book, would have been totally unbelievable.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I thought the Horatio Hornblower TV Series 1998-2003 was excellent - great production value, acting, and story development. I appreciated the character of Hornblower - felt like someone I could follow. Same can be said of Crowe's character.

Here's the movie trailers.

Captain Horatio Hornblower:

Billy Budd:

Damn The Defiant:

Master and Commander:

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

Master and commander, for me the best

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    I would love to see Russel Crowe and Paul Bettany reprise their roles as Aubrey and Maturin in a sequel or prequel.
    I don't think it will happen. Back in 2010 Russell Crowe was pushing to do a sequel but Peter Weir was not wanting to do another. There was some talk of the Fox studios perhaps doing one, but that's been some time ago and it seems everyone may have given up on the idea. The original movie did OK at the box office but not to the extent a sequel was financially appealing. In my opinion todays public is just not that interesed in realistic (with some leaway given for entertainment) historical movies. Things like Pirates of the Caribbean capture the publics fancy.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    I don't think it will happen. Back in 2010 Russell Crowe was pushing to do a sequel but Peter Weir was not wanting to do another. There was some talk of the Fox studios perhaps doing one, but that's been some time ago and it seems everyone may have given up on the idea. The original movie did OK at the box office but not to the extent a sequel was financially appealing. In my opinion todays public is just not that interesed in realistic (with some leaway given for entertainment) historical movies. Things like Pirates of the Caribbean capture the publics fancy.
    Pirates of the Caribbean over Master and Commander - I want to weep.

That is America, in it's dying glory. 'Ignorance is bliss' as the saying goes, must be true.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    'Ignorance is bliss' as the saying goes, must be true.
    For whom and for how long? When what a given "star" wore on a red carpet is a national headline of the day, it might be time to move.

As for age of sail films, we should not forget some wonderful pirate/swashbuckler movies - not quite Napoleonic, but worth the watch.

Master and Commander opening scene was terrific, middle of the film I felt dragged (burn the heretic!) but overall it was a great film.

I hear that! I have the Blu-Ray and DVD, at home and where I work respectively. I usually navigate to the scene selection and play the opening scene and then the end battle scene. I also love the ending when Aubrey and Stephen are playing and Aubrey realizes the French doctor is really the captain, the last scene of the prize Acheron and the Surprize changing course to chase. I love it and I want more! It is absolutely one of the very best movie of all time, right up there with Zulu!

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

How about our Eyroll (not sure if I've spelt that right) in Cap't Blood?

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I had to go with Hornblower with Gregory Peck. Not because of realism or it being better than any of the others. Just because it was THE film that got me reading the novels and thus interesting in the whole age of sail period. I have it on tape, DVD and a digital version.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Master and Commander is my vote. I'm planning to get Horatio Hornblower, the A&E series, after I recover from the KS payout.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    Master and Commander is my vote. I'm planning to get Horatio Hornblower, the A&E series, after I recover from the KS payout.
    It is well worth the time and money. A&E did a great series. Nice seeing Hornblower grow through the series in rank and wisdom.

If it has fighting sail, I like it. From the triremes in Cleopatra & Ben Hur to the Sol's in Hornblower. But Master & Commander was by far the best of all. I don't think there will be another like it in my lifetime (which won't be that long. 30, 40 years tops). But I hope I'm wrong. Not about the 30 or 40 years, but a better AoS movie in my lifetime.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

hands down, Master and Commander... wish they would do a sequel.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keegan

To fully appreciate Master & Commander, one must watch the film using a full-bodied 5.1/7.1 surround sound home theater. The creaking and groaning of the ship, each broadside, every taught rope was captured perfectly. It's a spectacular film, but the experience is incredibly heightened when coupled with a superb audio system.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lugburz View Post
    To fully appreciate Master & Commander, one must watch the film using a full-bodied 5.1/7.1 surround sound home theater. The creaking and groaning of the ship, each broadside, every taught rope was captured perfectly. It's a spectacular film, but the experience is incredibly heightened when coupled with a superb audio system.
    Maybe there was more than an audio system heightening the experience?

I remember when I watched Master and Commander in the theater, it was the theater's audio system that really made you feel that you where there, more so than the big screen.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keegan

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    Maybe there was more than an audio system heightening the experience?
    Just a nice set of Philips speakers, a decent subwoofer, and a Yamaha receiver

I've watched the movie in the theater, downstairs in my home with surround sound in the ceiling and upstairs with just the tv speakers. For me it was the movie first and sound second.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Just got the Blu-Ray of Master and Commander in the mail today - I love amazon.

Found this full length video of "Billy Bud"

And for those cultured members of our group...the BBC opera of "Billy Budd":

Here is the full length video of "HMS Defiant" (aka "Damn the Defiant"):

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thanks for the videos Bobby. So much for getting any work done this weekend.

For those of you who don't have the DVDs or who haven't seen it, the complete A&E Hornblower series (Videos have to be done one post at a time):

Last edited by Coog; 04-20-2013 at 20:42.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Thanks for the videos Bobby. So much for getting any work done this weekend.
    If Bobby keeps posting we're all sunk for the weekend. This is great stuff. Thanks for providing a link. It's been raining out so a little unexpected entertainment is perfect.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Wink

Better put on a pot of coffee! It's going to be a long night.