Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default Nelson's letters.

Just doing some research for the Ares ships when this popped up.

Amphion, off Toulon, July 30th, 1803
    Sir, Having some days ago sent His Majesty's Sloop Termagant to the Bay of Roses for the purpose of ascertaining the facility of watering any of His Majesty's ships under my command which I might find necessary to send there, and also with respect to procuring live bullocks and other refreshments for the Fleet; You will please to acquaint the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty that Captain Elliot found the Spaniards very much inclined to be civil, and that any number of bullocks may at present be had there for ready money; but he found considerable difficulty in paying for three bullocks which he purchased for the Termagant's Company, and was obliged to apply to the Neapolitan Consul to take bills on the Victualling-Board for the value thereof. I only mention this as an instance to show the necessity of Public money being supplied to the Fleet. Captain Elliot was directed not to salute the Fort of his Catholic Majesty but upon a positive assurance of an equal number of guns being returned; finding the Governor would only return the intended salute of a Private Ship, with four guns less, the Termagant did not salute the Fort.I am, Sir, &c.
    Nelson & Bronte

To see the full set of letters go here:-

http://www.admiralnelson.info/Letters%201803.htm

Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Just doing some research for the Ares ships when this popped up.

Amphion, off Toulon, July 30th, 1803
    Sir, Having some days ago sent His Majesty's Sloop Termagant to the Bay of Roses for the purpose of ascertaining the facility of watering any of His Majesty's ships under my command which I might find necessary to send there, and also with respect to procuring live bullocks and other refreshments for the Fleet; You will please to acquaint the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty that Captain Elliot found the Spaniards very much inclined to be civil, and that any number of bullocks may at present be had there for ready money; but he found considerable difficulty in paying for three bullocks which he purchased for the Termagant's Company, and was obliged to apply to the Neapolitan Consul to take bills on the Victualling-Board for the value thereof. I only mention this as an instance to show the necessity of Public money being supplied to the Fleet. Captain Elliot was directed not to salute the Fort of his Catholic Majesty but upon a positive assurance of an equal number of guns being returned; finding the Governor would only return the intended salute of a Private Ship, with four guns less, the Termagant did not salute the Fort.I am, Sir, &c.
    Nelson & Bronte

To see the full set of letters go here:-

http://www.admiralnelson.info/Letters%201803.htm

Rob.

Very Interersting cheers for sharing have to have a gd look at them thanks again
    Nous chassons ceux qui nous chassent, Vive la Republique!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Glad you found it interesting Rob.
    I think it should give people writing up AAR story lines a glimpse of what was being said behind the scenes as it were, and help to bulk up the dialogue for scenarios.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Glad you found it interesting Rob.
    I think it should give people writing up AAR story lines a glimpse of what was being said behind the scenes as it were, and help to bulk up the dialogue for scenarios.
    Rob.
    yeah i hadn't thought of that aspect of use for them gd idea, i just find them an interesting, this is the sort of thing i spent hours reading for my Degree (well Medieval and ECW equivilant) it gives an insight not covered by the more mainstream written accounts!
    Nous chassons ceux qui nous chassent, Vive la Republique!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It is good that they have been preserved.