Thread: Brainstorming: Fort Miniatures

Threaded View

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    I've seen some excellent models of forts on this site. As a result I have been considering obtaining some for some months from Brigade Models.

However, I'm not sure how to represent the firing point, from which measurement is made, or the firing arcs. How have players handled these, and marked them on the models?
    I would use a fan shape template. and put the full broadside area in the middle. The two half broadside areas to the sides. Cut the point bit of the fan to match the fort base shape so it can rap around the forts base, So if the target is in the front of the fort it gets the full broadside. Or if too one side only a part broadside. Before the game starts you must state which part is the front of the fort or keep the template on the table. If it is a big fort or long battery it may need two templates to show all of the target areas. A Martello tower will always have a full broadside. An all round sea/island fort could have a round template marked full, part, full part etc all around it. Again mark one point so you cannot spin it round to always get a full broadside, I do not play S.O.G. but I think you could match a fort/castle/battery fire power to a ships rate. A big fort could have two different rates at different parts of the fort/battery. eg the side pointing out to sea as a 3rd rate and the bit covering the harbour mouth a 4th, 5th or 6th rate. You may have to make a template for each fort/castle/ battery, to show it's broadside areas. I would add a little too the range as the fort is not moving. Also have a blind spot at very close range, Hope this starts some ideas for you all. Again, note I do not play this game.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 05-20-2016 at 21:13.