Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
Chris, Post 1 just compares quantities and rates on the existing or announced sculpts--for example, the British have 5 100-gun three-deckers and two 110-120-gunners. Bold are existing releases, un-bolded are niches that could be filled with reuse of existing sculpts. That help?
A bit -- having to scroll up and down, and remember what I was scrolling for is a PITA. I may have to whip out the ol' pencil and paper....

For your reprint are you specifically nominating HMS Swan herself, or just any member of the class? (I *KNOW* you get the importance of Tell The Story, so you're gonna have to do better than that, buddy. :P )
Something in the class, or more likely something close to it -- see next.

New... could be problematic, as we're stuck with a 28-meter "floor" on Gun Deck length, and still need six "broadly similar" names on a new candidate sculpt for it to get produced. Most of the lakers and similar-size outside the oceangoing UK RN are one- to three-offs... we're having a bugger of a time coming up with reasonable-numbers French counterparts for both Swan and the Cruizers (latter, I stand by my assertion that only a complete idiot would strike from consideration just on their importance in War of 1812 and the Mauritius Campaign alone).
Therein lies the problem -- trying to find info on the small ships; they were even worse about "doing the paperwork" than WW1 acft. units. In some cases, all I have is a name -- no drawings exist. And the less said of the oddball histories of some ships... for ex.: How many of the "British" ships at Plattsburgh were built by the US, and "opportunistically acquired"?

The *importance* of the small ships is undeniable, save by complete idiots. Plattsburgh, in connection with Baltimore and New Orleans, demonstrated that even after three years of blockade, the British still couldn't break the US defenses, forcing Britain to accept status-quo-ante-bellum instead of uti possedetis. Put-In-Bay (Lake Erie) shut Britain out of Lake Erie (and with it, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and most of New York state) for good. The frigate and sloop duels were flashy (which is why they get all the attention), but they weren't war-winners.