Thread: Ruse de Guerre

Hybrid View

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Banana_Joe View Post
    I would just use the existing game mechaniccs and forbid to fire until the enemy ship is in ruler distance. From to ruler distances I would draw an "E" counter every round. If its a zero you fall for the trick, if its a crew-symbol you realise its the enemy and can shoot the next round because you have to run out the guns, etc
    I guess its something that would offer a nice scenario.
    I really LIKE this solution. It's simple and direct. The previously mentioned die roll with its modifier is also very good and may be particularly appropriate for some scenarios, but for general use this keeps it just a little riskier.

To add a little MORE risk, what if the "drawing" player does not reveal his chits, but keeps them face-down on his ship's log, placing them beside each other from left to right, in an effort to lure his "friend" closer. Once he has smoke his opponent (i.e., 2nd round later), he may fire whenever he chooses. He can then prove his knowledge by revealing his chits. A game of cat and mouse...but who's actually the cat?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by MWBell View Post
    I really LIKE this solution. It's simple and direct. The previously mentioned die roll with its modifier is also very good and may be particularly appropriate for some scenarios, but for general use this keeps it just a little riskier.

To add a little MORE risk, what if the "drawing" player does not reveal his chits, but keeps them face-down on his ship's log, placing them beside each other from left to right, in an effort to lure his "friend" closer. Once he has smoke his opponent (i.e., 2nd round later), he may fire whenever he chooses. He can then prove his knowledge by revealing his chits. A game of cat and mouse...but who's actually the cat?
    Duh ... I meant "smoked"... sorry! (I wonder if Aubrey ever misspelled anything.)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by MWBell View Post
    Duh ... I meant "smoked"... sorry! (I wonder if Aubrey ever misspelled anything.)
    No smoke without fire Mike.

I'm sure that even some of the best Captains have made such mistakes after a hard day in battle.

Rob.