Thread: Breaking News next wave

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Now they even sent out an email to us old Kickstarter backers.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    So I was pretty close?
    God call Fred.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Kamil

Interesting facebook stuff
    Name:  14502719_10210785332699608_6816647665125028431_n.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  182.9 KB
    Big boats take the glory, little boats make the sailor

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I just hope for Wave 4 they give me a chance to review the blueprints before they commit... there was an Epic Bass-Ackwards between SGN108 and SGN201 that might have been fixed if I'd been allowed to see the development drawings and samples first. (All of your SGN108s are basically repainted Victory, while 201 is Definitely NOT Victory. Trying to figure out how to call this to Rob's attention, and what to propose as a fix, before either gets reprinted--if it was me calling the plays I'd just trade the models straight across for the next batch and publicly post an "Oops We Goofed" on the website along with log/card/insert corrections to turn the three SGN108's into Victory and her two 98-gun sisters.)

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Well, that will probably never happen, but I hope coming releases will be a more correct mix of the ships. I don't expect a possible repaint representing second rates would be as "luxurious" or detailed as the Victory model.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That solves my lack of 98s then, without having to wait light years for them to be/never be released. Just a matter of printing a few cards off, and getting some Victory's to replace the three deckers.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by KDz View Post
    Interesting facebook stuff
    Name:  14502719_10210785332699608_6816647665125028431_n.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  182.9 KB
    Any mention of where those pictures were taken Kamil?
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It's a shared post by Roberto Di Meglio that only says: "Pronte a partire!"

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    That solves my lack of 98s then, without having to wait light years for them to be/never be released. Just a matter of printing a few cards off, and getting some Victory's to replace the three deckers.
    Rob.
    Yes, but you really should try the stern gallery swapping in that case.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Jonas.
    Not much to add then really. I was half hoping that they had been pre released somewhere by mistake.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Kamil

As wrote it Jonas
    It's a shared post by Roberto Di Meglio that only says: "Pronte a partire!"
    Big boats take the glory, little boats make the sailor

Nice facebook picture of the next wave.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Rob.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Frankly, if no official fix is possible I'm hoping somebody will clone the SGN201 sculpt on Shapeways. Two important differences between the sculpts:
    1. Stern gallery, as noted.
    2. All known British tripledeckers have a unique "chevron" pattern in their foremost stack of guns (MD has foremost port, UD and LD both starting behind it), SGN201 a "backslash" where LD has foremost forward port, then MD and UD has the aftmost forward port.
    All known three-deckers SGN201 Sculpt
    O|
    _|O
    O| Fwd->
    O|
    _|O
    O|_|O Fwd->

So, Rob, this basically buys you only *two* Second Rates, and practically the last two of the Napoleonic Wars at that. We've already been discussing Second Rates as a future sculpt with Ares, but if we can get by with a "de-Special-Packed" SGN201 re-run that saves tooling cost and design time.

Anyone dismantled an SGN108 or 201 to know how they go together? Are they designed so Ares could just swap the SGN201 sideplates and sternboard onto the SGN108 core and peg, or would that take retooling? It's also worth noting that the Specials both use a cross-pin instead of the round one on the regulars.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 09-28-2016 at 16:19. Reason: error correction

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Which of the Langton stern galleries would you recommend Jonas. I will add it to my next shopping list.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Rob, they used to make rubber mold kits to clone your own model parts--I'd just clone the 201 hull in its entirety if you have a few dismasted ones. (And if you do that I might be interested in buying a few... :) Hmmm... you just gave me an idea to pitch to Clipper.)

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Look for what ship you want to portray.

The stern gallery will probably fit pretty good. You will have to remove the side windows on either the stern gallery or the ship. If you do the former it will be a little more flexible. I do it this way because I think it's easier, but I think the potential are for a better result if you remove the side windows on the hull and use the ones on the stern. I think Julián does this.

If your still unsure you could use the Royal Sovereign as I know that fits okay and it's an okay stern gallery for a general British look.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Looks like I goofed, too. That extra forward LD gunport on SGN201 I haven't been able to find on ANY British three-decker--I would suggest trimming the guns off and painting over the port. The stern gallery on SGN108 looks like it works for the two 1745 Est. 100's also maybe, so that's a total of five for SGN108 (two as-is 1756 Royal George/1762 Britannia, three rerigged with 201's masts and sails 1765 Victory/1810 Boyne/1811 Union) and eight to combine a corrected SGN201 hull with SGN108 masts (1786 Royal Sovereign/1788 Royal George/the two Queen Charlottes/Ville de Paris/Hibernia/Caledonia/Nelson).
    Last edited by Diamondback; 09-28-2016 at 16:14.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Royal Sovereign looks like a good starting point then Jonas.
    Thanks for that advice about the side gallery.
    Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Geez, and we thought Triplane wings and Staaken trenches were bad, eh Cap'n Duff?

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I am keeping out of this one and keeping schtum

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I'd rather trim and file two extraneous guns than rework an entire wing... :D

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I did the tripe wing and currently filling in the staaken trench.
    But if I got you right here

The current batch of Brit 3 deckers, or 4 ships if like me you got one for each side of the ship card are a load of tosh?

I can keep my Royal George and Brittania but the others should really be Hms Victory, Boyne and Union if I can get three current Hms Victories , remove the masts and put them on Hibernia, Ville de Paris , Royal Sovreign.
    I then need to get a handful of current Victories, replace the stern castles and put the masts from my current 3 deckers onto these bodies to give me correct 3 deckers. To make them, Royal Sov, Hibernia Ville de Paris etc
    Is that about right or did I get it all wrong ?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I just hope for Wave 4 they give me a chance to review the blueprints before they commit... there was an Epic Bass-Ackwards between SGN108 and SGN201 that might have been fixed if I'd been allowed to see the development drawings and samples first. (All of your SGN108s are basically repainted Victory, while 201 is Definitely NOT Victory. Trying to figure out how to call this to Rob's attention, and what to propose as a fix, before either gets reprinted--if it was me calling the plays I'd just trade the models straight across for the next batch and publicly post an "Oops We Goofed" on the website along with log/card/insert corrections to turn the three SGN108's into Victory and her two 98-gun sisters.)
    So, what ship is the SGN201 sculpt? I like that it has the boarding port, which the other 1st rates don't have, but I have been considering putting the masts of a SGN201 on the Royal Sovereign and calling it Victory.

SGN201 is definitely my least favorite hull, while I think the SGN108's are the most attractive 1st rates.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Gents, you're now as confused as I am. First, let's go back to the drawings so we're all working from the same info.

1756 Royal George/1762 Britannia

1765 HMS Victory as built

1803 Great Repair of HMS Victory (holotype plan, 1811 HMS Union)

1786 HMS Royal Sovereign (suspected):

1788 Royal George, 1800 and 1810 Princess Charlottes:

1795 HMS Ville de Paris (Hibernia stretched by 11' and one more chevron of guns in the waist):

Caledonia:

Nelson:

Technically, the SGN108 galleries look closest to 1803 Victory, Caledonia and Nelson. The two pre-Victory 100s are more raked, but not as raked as SGN201 or the RS-Umpire-VdP-Hibernia group.

Looking at SGN201's guns compared to Victory's, using the entry port as a reference point:
    --Going forward on the LD, we expect to find nine forward, and six aft. We find nine and seven respectively. The difference to the rear may be because Boyne/Union dispensed with one LD pair as 98s, as the original 1765 plan seems to fit the model here.
    --On the MD, we expect nine forward and six aft. SGN201 we find eight and six. So we're missing the forward MD gun.
    --On the UD, we expect eight and seven, which we find on SGN201.

SGN108 has no entry port, so we have to go to a raw deck count and get 15 each deck.

I'm not gonna fault Ares too much here, these plans are not always the most readable and some are between badly damaged and poorly preserved--the biggest problem is the sternboards, the missing forward MD gun on 201, and the inexplicable lack of entry port on 108. You all now have all the resources to work with that I do (possibly more, since my minis are buried in Deep Storage and all I have to work from are the photos of Ares' pre-prod samples), so let's compare plan to mini and see what we all can hash out. (Disregard the attachment, I forgot I didn't have everything rescaled to "actual mini size.")

Come to think of it, Rob, since you have Mod creds it might be a good idea to split this thread lest it become totally hijacked. :)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Diamondback; 09-28-2016 at 18:06.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post

Come to think of it, Rob, since you have Mod creds it might be a good idea to split this thread lest it become totally hijacked. :)
    I know how to move a thread DB, but not how to strip out specific posts. Keith may be able to help here.
    Rob.