Thread: Naval War of 1812 solitaire operational boardgame game just went up for preorder

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Gina

Default Naval War of 1812 solitaire operational boardgame game just went up for preorder

Just a note to those of you who might be interested:
    My design, "A Glorious Chance: The Naval Struggle for Lake Ontario, 1813" just went up today for preorder at Legion Wargames:

http://www.legionwargames.com/legion_AGC.html

It will need 250 preorders to "make the cut" for eventual printing and publication. The nice thing about Legion preorders is that they don't take any money -- it simply reserves you a copy at the lower preorder price, and then they e-mail you a "time to pay up" message later, if/when the game is ready to ship.

It was SGN that helped inspire me to make this game -- I love tactical miniatures but I dislike the feeling of playing battle scenarios in a vacuum. This game sets up the naval encounters in a somewhat abstracted way (certain named US ships meet certain named British ships in one of six area-movement zones on the lake), but you could use those generated situations as starting points for all kinds of interesting tabletop miniatures scenarios. Once the miniatures fire their final shots, just apply the result back to the boardgame and play on until the next battle.

Once this game is finished, I plan to get back to designing and offering more of my Great Lakes 1:1000 scale 3D printed ship kits on Shapeways. So you could adapt them to SGN if you made ship cards for them, as some have already done for my USS Niagara/USS Oneida brig model.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Carl

I'm a little late to the party here, but how did this go, Gina? Looks like a great concept.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Gina

Thanks, Carl!
    It's going well. As of now, Legion Wargames has about half the 250 preorders needed for it to get published.
    It's taken about 4 months to get there, so I imagine we wouldn't see the actual game until 2017. It all depends on how fast people preorder.
    I've done all I can think of to publicize the game (playthrough videos on Boardgamegeek and Consimworld, posted updates on various Facebook sites, etc.)
    I took the game's development pretty much as far as I could take it myself. I'm happy with it, but I'm sure an experienced developer can (and will) improve it even more.
    If you're interested in playtesting it, please let me know. You would have to play it on your computer using VASSAL, since there's no physical version in existence yet.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Carl

That's awesome. I would like to test it. I'm familiar with Vassal but usually the modules don't have the instructions with them. Are they available in game or elsewhere? Thanks