Thread: Fortifications and all that stuff.

Hybrid View

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Rob

You have inspired me to have a go at painting up a fort for myself.
    How do you play the cannons when using the fort in a scenario? Do you use a paper cut out as a guide for their ark of fire and how do you rate the fort itself?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you have the card fort examples from Ares David, it is easy to gauge the angles they suggest as correct.
    The number of guns and firepower can be adjusted to the needs of your game.
    Without giving too much away, you will see an example of this when I write the April scenario. There i have taken the points for enemy ships in total, subtracted from the Allied points total and balanced it up with a shore battery of approximately the difference. The number of guns in a fort can vary from a fully manned one to an abandoned wreck with a couple of guns manhandled up there from a pirate ship. You also need to remember that Fort guns may not only be much larger than ship based ones with a range of up to two rulers because of the elevation of cliff tops etc, but may well be hot shot, if time has been sufficient to get the ovens up to temperature.
    All the factors you put in should be based on the scenario and how difficult you want to make it.
    As far as Fort Morro is concerned it has an angle of fire of about 270 degrees if fully manned. An elevated fort on a cliff is very hard to hit from the sea, whilst on on a coastal inlet or islet may be reduced by the Fleet. Again the strength that you invest in it should be sufficient to balance the scenario objectives.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-08-2016 at 07:58.