Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Important new interview with Andrea.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Default Important new interview with Andrea.

The text of this interview was sent out to members of the Yahoo group. I am sorry about the English but it is what Google Translate did to the Italian. Also it is mainly about Wings of Glory but there is some news about Sails of Glory also.

First floor : New life for the system "Wings Of Glory"
    Posted by Richard Vadalà Wednesday, January 27, 2016

It is these days the ' announcement of Ares Games on the upcoming release of the new series of aircraft for Wings of Glory WW2 . In addition to the type of models chosen, that will appeal to fans of World War II ( Messerschmitt Bf.109 K-4 , Republic P-47D Thunderbolt "Razorback" , Yokosuka D4Y Suisei , Douglas SBD Dauntless ) announcement arouses interest new features that these airplane pack will contain: special cards dedicated to armaments optional and pilots with special skills, accompanied by ad hoc rules for using them. These materials, in itself a big thing, actually represent the first sign of a revolution that is taking place in the entire universe "of Glory": the introduction of a comprehensive system for the personalization of the media, to the generation of scenarios and campaigns and the construction of squadrons (and fleets, in the case of Sails of Glory ) regulated by "purchase for scores". In essence, they are formalizing all the mechanisms necessary for the construction of a plant torneistica official! And in the world there are already realities which are constructing circuits organized tournaments. We spoke with the author Andrea Angiolino and here comes our sole with all the details of what awaits us in the near future.

Start your engines and hoist the sails ... with of Glory you go on a new mission!

The system of Glory in its various forms ( Wings of Glory WW1 , WW2 Wings of Glory and Sails of Glory ), along with its previous incarnation ( Wings of War ) which is a natural continuation, has represent paradigmatic experience of how it was possible take a complex and articulated, such as that of the simulation of air combat, and make it immediately approachable by anyone. Thanks to this simplicity, the game is allowed to play scenarios based on historical events, is to organize fast games simply by crashing a number of models of opposite sides. Compared to the latter approach, very light , in the course of time have been released, here and there, options and rules by which allow some customizations (for example, the rules of the axes) or the adoption of forms of balancing (such as 'assignment to models of a "power class", that allowed to pit or similar means to compensate for differences using the skills of the axes to support the weaker ones). Other tools have been made ​​available by the publisher, as the bunch of promo cards for WOG WW1 pilot or the scoring system available online for Sails of Glory.
    It is still treated so far impromptu contributions from diverse nature, distributed among the various titles system.
    The novelty of where we are today to inform you of a very different capacity: Wings of Glory WW1 will soon be the first of three games in the series to include a system of rich and varied countryside (currently called Scenario and Campaign Pack) , that will allow the creation of campaigns historically reliable, divided into many different types of missions, supported by a robust system of balance of power and the logic of growth drivers controlled by players so integrated with the historical events of the campaign and with the "flow of days spent at the front ", to create a real generator of storytelling .

We asked Andrea Angiolino to explain better what will this new expansion Wings of Glory.

The system will contain two sections, distinct but complementary. In the first part a set of rules to vary their own games, allowing to construct scenarios of each gender . It will introduce a scoring system to create balanced clashes with dozens of models now available to our players and will present scenarios of all kinds, from bombing the recognition, by the launch of supplies or spies behind enemy lines to attack the ground. There will be scenarios in solitary , rules for games in which a defender does not know what the mission of the opponent and directions for those who want to organize events of this game, as tournaments or games giant with dozens of players at the same table. At the same time they give optional rules both general and individual aircraft or types of aircraft, so as to better distinguish each aircraft based on its real historical features and some new abilities to the axes.
    The second part will explain how to create squadrons of pilots and observers , and how to handle them during campaigns that simulate, day after day, a blockbuster missions. After each game the fate of the crews shot down will be determined to figure out whether they will be available for additional missions or if they are wounded or captured. The cleverest "grow" with the 'experience acquiring special skills. Over time, will be the most modern aircraft available to replace those supplied. And so you can follow the destinies of their characters simulating not only brief clashes in heaven but weeks or whole months of the air war.

So using the scoring system you can create balanced squadrons to use in tournaments?

Exactly. Tournaments spontaneous Wings of War were born from the first appearance of the game, based on the choice of aircraft balanced or set of scenarios: having few planes with few customization options, did not apply a scoring system similar to those of the classic wargame, as I knew them in the early 80s and are still very popular. Systems that allow each player to choose freely the pieces of their deployment, customizing features, and at the same time to preserve the balance between the two sides. With the current range of miniatures available and with changes to individual devices proposed in the new expansion, now such a model makes sense.

Ares Games, your publisher, has just announced the new airplane pack for WOG WW2. The presence of these cards with drivers and optional equipment heralds a system similar to that described for the Second World War. You confirm it? And how these cards? By what logic they are interchangeable between models?

The rules that may characterize each model are already long attached to each multi-engine aircraft, which has a booklet, but in the case of hunting and the two-seater will henceforth also supplied with models. Each will have at least a couple of different cards from pack to pack , with any typical rules of that specific device: additional guns for Bf.109K that improve the ability of fire penalizing a little maneuverability, rules sull'inceppo of weapons delicate, additional fuel tanks to increase the autonomy of the equipment, rules for the dive bombing ... The whole in addition to any skill for the crew : generic type or, in the case of famous drivers, tailored for them. Some cards are specifically related to a specific type of aircraft, but most is usable in a broader way; players will then decide if they want to use such options of drop tanks with P-51 Mustang or other devices. After that we can get to a comprehensive system of rules defined and optional scores similar to what we have in the pipeline for the First World War.

And what about Sails of Glory? There have also planned something similar?

We are working with Andrea Mainini a supplement that increases significantly the amount and variety of cards commander and the skills of captains and crews , some specimens have already been seen during the game's Kickstarter and attached to the Special Pack of HMS Victory and USS Constitution. With the addition of some particular feature of the vessels, this would constitute an expansion which would make it much wider application of the scoring system already available on the website Ares Games.

After the description of this "good things," You should not flinch from giving us an idea of ​​the time of release!

Ace cards and abilities , as well as special rules for each aircraft, will henceforth attached to each pack from the new aircraft of World War II but also by the bombers of the first giant. For Scenario & Campaign Pack and new skills and rules of Sails of Glory I can not say anything: the products are in the hands of the publisher. She will decide the timing of output in a calendar that is already busy with new figures and reprints of existing products, and according to a production and distribution process that involves me only marginally.

One last question: you can never think of a circuit organized play for titles in the series "of Glory", with tournaments and national championships? And if so, we will see it also in Italy?

With Wings of War there were already national initiatives both with Boardgame League with the Lair of the Goblin. Taking a good idea of Roberto Gigli RoG Stratagem for the shop in Florence, the publisher had come to create a series of miniature silver and gold out of the market, to be used as prizes in these initiatives.
    Now things are moving in the world . We are preparing a number of scenarios to use in the game organized while Devir Iberia has created a series of medals to be distributed as prizes. The torneistica should start soon, with a system of rules and gadgets available to all distributors. The responsibility for deciding whether or not to organize a national tournament is indeed on the shoulders of each distributor, and when in Italy do not have one. But just opened Devir Italy, which already distributes several titles of Ares Games and that has shown strong interest for these models. If as I hope and believe will also take my games, I am sure that they too will launch a beautiful game activities organized.

In conclusion, we can only stress again that everything that any fan of this beautiful system craved for some time, is expected to soon become reality.
    This writer has had the opportunity to attend one of the many groups of test Scenario & Campaign Pack , on an adventure "along the front of the Piave" lasted three game nights (six different missions) during which, by young cadets, we lived experiences worthy of the best pages of the diaries of Francesco Baracca or Baron von Richthofen ! If you're curious, you find a story on the site Ares Games.
    Stay tuned because we will keep you updated on all the news that will affect the system "of Glory", from publishing information that we hope to achieve during our next trip to the Fair Nuremberg toy!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well thanks for that Dave.
    I think it is a bit like the Curate's egg.
    Nevertheless, news that things are in the pipeline is better than news that we are dead in the water. So the lack of firm dates is nothing unusual.
    I just prey that some of the goodies promised surface in my lifetime, and that some of them include ships, mention of which were conspicuously absent in this bulletin.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

There were talk of something other than ships and fleet rules that would be released for Sails. Ability cards that's more than just a reprint of the Kickstarter cards would be nice especially if they add things like carronades and studdingsails or other "quirks" of the ships. Hebes were wet ships and had less stores while tonnants lacked in torsional stability and so on. It would be fun to flesh out the ships in that way. And if there would be an official soloplay release with campaign rules I would welcome it.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Gents, I'm going to be the wet blanket and suggest Sails of Glory is likely dead in the water and will eventually be abandoned not too far down the road. If they can't produce new sculpts that offer more visual and real play options putting out cards certainly isn't going to bring new players to the table. Ares just doesn't see our game as any kind of priority and they're probably losing money on the IP. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We can but hope Jim.
    I am certainly getting as much stuff as I can whilst it is out there.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

I, too, hope the Sails universe continues to grow. I think it has been on the Ares back burner for a while now, and I can only hope they see further releases as something more than 'flogging a dead horse'.

I'm not usually not the person to spin the positive story, but I'm not writing Sails off yet. It seems clear that last summer when they were making noise about some non-ship addons for Sails, that must have been a manifestation of a deeper rethink about both Wings and Sails. Apparently they come to the conclusion (which I would tend to agree with) that they had made their pieces too generic and their battle environments too constrained to sell the maximum product

Once they realized it fully and made the strategic pivot, it would make sense that they would have put all new Sails releases on hold and give Wings the majority of their attention. But maybe now that they've got as far as productizing it for Wings, they will have bandwidth to get Sails restarted under the "revolutionary" new framework

It's a possibility anyway...

In the meantime, since last summer I've put all that money (and energy) that I could not pour into any new Sails stuff into a different project. It's related to Age of Sail, so I'll post something in the wardroom here, even though a bit off topic. Hopefully in a few weeks...

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Intrigued

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Yes, don't write it off, there are some interesting plans developing and we have had active discussions on the next few waves of releases. I know it is frustrating as a Sails player but the aero side of the "Glory" stable is the relative money spinner so it is natural that it gets the lion's share of Ares'attention and effort. But be patient, good stuff is coming

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Yes, don't write it off, there are some interesting plans developing and we have had active discussions on the next few waves of releases. I know it is frustrating as a Sails player but the aero side of the "Glory" stable is the relative money spinner so it is natural that it gets the lion's share of Ares'attention and effort. But be patient, good stuff is coming
    Not only what I wanted to hear, but also from a very knowledgeable person and one somewhat in the know at Ares.

Maybe we would have arlready series 3 in our greedy hands without those former series 2 mast problems...

I sold my X-Wing stuff to stay tuned with SoG and WoG. My game group still love those.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    I'm not usually not the person to spin the positive story, but I'm not writing Sails off yet. It seems clear that last summer when they were making noise about some non-ship addons for Sails, that must have been a manifestation of a deeper rethink about both Wings and Sails. Apparently they come to the conclusion (which I would tend to agree with) that they had made their pieces too generic and their battle environments too constrained to sell the maximum product

Once they realized it fully and made the strategic pivot, it would make sense that they would have put all new Sails releases on hold and give Wings the majority of their attention. But maybe now that they've got as far as productizing it for Wings, they will have bandwidth to get Sails restarted under the "revolutionary" new framework

It's a possibility anyway...

In the meantime, since last summer I've put all that money (and energy) that I could not pour into any new Sails stuff into a different project. It's related to Age of Sail, so I'll post something in the wardroom here, even though a bit off topic. Hopefully in a few weeks...
    A few weeks?! Now you're sounding like Ares!
    –English Proverb

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

I really like the named captain cards, as opposed to the generic ones (even thought they play the same as the generic capital cards). There is just something more fun about having Nelson's name and picture beside your ship may. I would love it if this is a set of named captains...it would be super fun to have a Collingwood, Villeneuve, etc to put on our ships.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I do hope I'm wrong and there is indeed life in Sails of Glory but being practical for now I don't read it that way.

1. Nothing new on the Ares website for SoG since November of 2015 and that was only a reference to a gaming session with the devs.
    2. No product reprints or restocks listed outside of "Chit Bags". We know Victory and Constitution sold out, but no reprints? Why? Same for another printing of the Starter Box and other waves; why no reprints?
    3. Special surprise promised last Fall? Still nothing.
    4. Fleet rules promised last year? Still nothing.
    5. No update or any 'official' information on Wave 3.
    6. Ares has produced or is in the process of bringing out half a dozen new games; Jolly Roger, Odyssey, Last Friday, Sword and Sorcery, Warriors of Middle Earth and of course Wings of Glory product. For a small company they're clearly getting a lot done in lines that are more profitable to their company.

What I'm seeing is Ares has other more lucrative endeavors they want to push and SoG has sunk to the bottom of their priority list. If product isn't moving off the FLGS shelves or out of the Cool Stuff, Inc. and Miniature Market warehouses then I think those numbers could be indicative of where Ares is headed for this IP. We don't know those figures, but you can get a sense of them from checking locally or online. Our game just isn't that popular and the worse case scenario is it's going to be dropped from their active support in the near future. I trust not, but I'm not hopeful.

I will continue to support the game and enjoy my miniatures very much. If Ares has some new plan for Sails of Glory in the works I'll be behind that as well. I'm just not as positive as some of you.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Maybe we would have already series 3 in our greedy hands without those former series 2 mast problems...
    Not so much a problem as a chance to get some cheap ships for me ,but I get your drift Sven.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    A few weeks?! Now you're sounding like Ares!
    we'll see who has some "new product" first, me or them

Landsman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Dennis

New Sails stuff would be nice, but I'm really happy with the Wings "announcement".

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Not so much a problem as a chance to get some cheap ships for me ,but I get your drift Sven.
    Rob.
    Of course no Problem for you & me who repair those, but not for the Company that had to replace them.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

I have never had mast problems!

I must be missing something!!!!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I missed something too. I missed the opportunity to buy loads of SGN105 Hebe-class ships dirt cheap.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very droll Jonas.
    Rob.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I have pretty much accepted the fact that my SoG collection will not grow. I will enjoy playing with what I have, but I will not expend too much energy on future plans for the game without new sculpts. If and when Ares ever releases new sculpts, I will consider purchasing them if they will enable me to play new types of scenarios. If they are more of the same, I won't.

It is hard to get excited about product offerings that do not go beyond what members of the 'Drome or Anchorage are doing or have done. Members have developed fine sets of solo rules, solo campaigns, scenarios, house rules, cards, pilot/captain abilities, etc.

I have read several books on Lancasters the past few weeks, and will start one on Mosquitos next week. These have seeded several ideas for scenarios and house-rule mechanics. If I can do such things, most anyone can. What I can't do well is create a fleet of ships or scores of different types of planes. I would gladly pay Ares to do so.

As much I as hope David is correct, and as much as I hope the timeline for such releases would be this year, I fear Jim is correct. It doesn't seem that SoG is a priority.

Regardless of Ares involvement with the game, I am extremely thankful for both communities - the 'Drome and here. It is the folks on both sites that has me here, and I hope '16 will see me more active on both sites than admin duties. So even if Ares were to fold, we do not need to, and I do not intend to.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I agree that this community is great but I also think that official abilities is easier to motivate to use when I'm playing with friends than something I found on a forum on the internet, even though I regard that forum as probably more knowledgeable on both history and game-design. Official rules are still the official rules. This is doubly true when I arrange an event on a convention.

But I agree on the miniatures. I hope they will make more ships and the sooner we get them the better, but I will not stop playing it if Ares discontinues SoG as long as I enjoy it.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Me too! - although I have my own ideas on solo rules, ship stats etc, its always good to have a Codex version from the game designers and published officially. It means everyone is playing from the same Hymn sheet, so to speak.
    I think if Ares packed in this game, a few loyal fans would continue to play, but the heart would probably go out of the players, and the lovely models would probably be shelved and forgotten...or even end up in a cupboard somewhere!

But let's be positive, this IS the worst case scenario.

Its likely that all our fears will be unfounded, and some nice shiny new toys are just around the corner.....

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well said Eric.
    The nub of the reason that I came on to the Sails site is to exchange ideas with fellow players.
    It keeps the game fresh.
    Richard is the reason that I will not give up with this even if Ares should drop the line. That is because with his system I can play Solo games whatever my friends decide to do.
    As for you Jonas, together with others you have made me realize that as long as we can get models, I can produce my own ships by slight of scalpel.
    Thanks to you all. There are still a lot of sea miles to sail.
    Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I don't think Ares will shut the game down, but if they did I could see most gamers tossing the game system and using the models with other sets, and a vigorous second hand ship market taking off. It is the easiest way to get into AOL gaming, especially for those who find the modelling side daunting

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I don't mind at all using non-official rules. When I run the games at Origins, I make alterations to keep the game accessible and moving given most people at the table never played before and we have a time limit. When I play with friends, I do the same. My experience as a GM is that the people who have played at my table were interested in a good story and action. By streamlining a few things, I have been able to deliver that. I readily admit, however, that in real life, my alignment is probably chaotic-good. I always look at rules/laws as nice suggestions, unless of course they're mine.

I think a big difference between my games and some of you folks' games is that I do not come across players who are deep into the given military history. They simply are looking to play a fun game as opposed to any type of simulation; therefore, they are highly open to exploring house rules any time we play.

As for Ares ever stopping producing ships or planes, I have enough to keep playing, especially with Wings. I have a lot of wargames, some of which are series. I wouldn't give up the games if expansions stopped flowing. Without question, I would be happiest if Ares thrives as a company and continues producing. To keep my sanity, I have given up concern about future releases, and given the company's track record, I don't pay attention to announcements, especially ones with timelines attached. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Ares' products, and do not question the niceness of the staff. I simply don't have confidence in the company's operations, marketing, or customer relationship management. I am sure I have students who could say the say of me as a teacher.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

With an anniversary copy of WoTR coming out, a new expansion of WoTR delayed and other titles in the works I do not see SoG getting enough wind to reach our Anchorage any time soon. I'll just keep scanning the horizon with hope.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

OK, I expressed my worse case scenario and I have very much enjoyed the eloquent responses. I have enough ships to paint, kitbash and game for years to come (two starter sets haven't even been opened yet) so I'm with all of you on continuing to support age of sail gaming even if Ares chooses not to.

Continuing in a more positive vein I am intrigued by the idea that cards added to either Wings or Sails will pump up the gaming options.

Following up on this, as has been suggested so many times before, why not create ship cards and give up on the sculpts completely? Printing paper ship decks should be significantly easier to create and not necessarily tied to overseas production. Some of the best card printing still occurs in Europe to the best of my knowledge? Then using generic sculpts or even 3D printed sculpts you could easily add visual variety, but the action is going to be focused on the ship mats and accessory cards.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    With an anniversary copy of WoTR coming out, a new expansion of WoTR delayed and other titles in the works I do not see SoG getting enough wind to reach our Anchorage any time soon. I'll just keep scanning the horizon with hope.
    Look Paul!!! Chit bags on the horizon!!!
    –English Proverb

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Name:  2007-pirates-event1.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  32.0 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    Name:  2007-pirates-event1.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  32.0 KB
    LOL. Very appropriate, Paul.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It certainly raised my spirits when I saw this Paul.

So I had a look for myself.

Name:  untitled.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  169.8 KB

I see no chits.

Bligh.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Unhappy THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS.

I think I've spotted the cargo vessel Lads.
    It doesn't look promising.

Name:  sea_monster_by_spiderguts-d54vdko.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  253.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well at least it's a better excuse than last time Paul.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Damn the chit bags! Need more of these Sir!

Name:  naval_battle_3.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  23.8 KB
    Name:  WilliamBallImmortalite.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  46.6 KB

What-o?

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

This is from Roberto, posted on BGG:

We had quite a slowdown due in changes in the SoG production team, but now things are back to normal. We expect to launch wave 3 in the first semester (probably June), then wave 4 before the end of the year.

And in the meantime, there's a card-only expansion which is coming, for a total of 3 expansion releases in 2016.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by BSG_Fan View Post

We had quite a slowdown due in changes in the SoG production team, but now things are back to normal. We expect to launch wave 3 in the first semester (probably June), then wave 4 before the end of the year.

And in the meantime, there's a card-only expansion which is coming, for a total of 3 expansion releases in 2016.
    YAY! - Lets hope it happens to schedule! Its nice to know there was a reason for the quiescence in the Sails of Glory release programme!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Well, this is exciting news!!! I am cautiously optimistic. Even so, I will stick with my BGG prediction of 3rd or 4th quarter though for wave 3 just because I know only too well how the production queues work with any game publisher.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great news. Thanks Roberto. I trust you will get to read this.

Within this calendar year, and in time for Christmas will do for me.

As I will be needing at least three of every ship, it will give me more time to save up.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Gents, I'm going to be the wet blanket and suggest Sails of Glory is likely dead in the water and will eventually be abandoned not too far down the road. If they can't produce new sculpts that offer more visual and real play options putting out cards certainly isn't going to bring new players to the table. Ares just doesn't see our game as any kind of priority and they're probably losing money on the IP. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.
    Pretty-much -- the maneuver and combat systems are far too cumbersome; there's no interest in the market for games where, let's face it, the outcomes are dictated well in advance; and the biggest gaming market out there isn't even represented in the period covered. Game, Over.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Pretty-much -- the maneuver and combat systems are far too cumbersome; there's no interest in the market for games where, let's face it, the outcomes are dictated well in advance; and the biggest gaming market out there isn't even represented in the period covered. Game, Over.
    Unfortunately these days unless you're playing Warhammer or Star Wars X-Wing you're already in a "fringe group" at the local FLGS. True die hard miniature war gamer's are likely a dying breed?

And I certainly don't agree that Sails or Wings have maneuver and combat systems that are far too cumbersome, or that any of the game outcomes are dictated well in advance. It just isn't so.

Btw, if you want complicated games check out this list on BGG. You'll like No. 4.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/3...plicated-games
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Actually I really like the maneuvring and combat system of Sails of Glory and especially when playing against other people, you can never predict the outcome of the game.
    That's how I first learned about the game: I googled for good miniature sailing games with interesting combat and sailing systems and "Sails of Glory" was one of the first hits. It was sheer luck that it was also historically accurate and taking place in my favourite era, the Napoleonic Wars (both criterions the game I used to play before, WizKids "Pirates of the Spanish Main" couldn't fit).

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

I like the recreation Sails produces as well, using the advanced rules is quite as complicated as I can handle while still having fun!

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Unfortunately these days unless you're playing Warhammer or Star Wars X-Wing you're already in a "fringe group" at the local FLGS. True die hard miniature war gamer's are likely a dying breed?

And I certainly don't agree that Sails or Wings have maneuver and combat systems that are far too cumbersome, or that any of the game outcomes are dictated well in advance. It just isn't so.

Btw, if you want complicated games check out this list on BGG. You'll like No. 4.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/3...plicated-games
    I never found "no. 4" all that complicated. In fact it was a regular favourite in my school Wargames club

Thank you for this information, Andrew.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you really want an unpredictable game, stick an extra ship in on the enemy side sailed by a rookie captain.
    it adds to the fun immeasurably.
    Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Especially if they choose manoeuvre cards at random like my daughter use to do :)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I never found "no. 4" all that complicated. In fact it was a regular favourite in my school Wargames club
    Never played "no. 4". We were all too engrossed in Dungeons and Dragons at the time.
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

No 4 in itself is rather straight forward and easy enough, but it's all the added supplements...

Jim, we didn't put all eggs in one basket and I was more of a Traveller guy myself.