Thread: Algerian Frigates

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Airborne

Default Algerian Frigates

I have been looking to build a fleet for the Algerians and other Barbary Pirates to have something new to fight.

I know they had a wide range of ships from Xebecs to more conventional ships. I know the US agreed to make them a 36 gun frigate as tribute before deciding to fight rather than pay tribute. I have been trying to find information on their frigates and other vessels so I can figure out how to model them. I know there were Xebec frigates with square sail rigs, not sure if any of their big frigates would have had lateen rigs or not. Has anyone done further research on this? I'm not finding much other than descriptions of US and Brits sinking or taking their frigates, but little detail on the style of frigates. I know the US took a 44 gun one from them in a battle, but I am trying to find out if this was a conventional frigate, or a xebec with square sails, xebec poleacre (main mast square) or lateen.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Some ships are named in these lists for the Barbary Wars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...e_19th_century

A little more here:

http://www.san.beck.org/16-8-Algeria...a,Morocco.html

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Airborne

Thanks Union Jack. I've found a lot of very similar stuff including a list like the Wikipedia one. The problem I am having is the lack of detail to make ships based on them. An entry might say a frigate of 36 guns, but with no details of type of ship or construction. I might just have to make it up, which makes my gamers OCD twitch.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Unless there is a specific tome out there I am unaware of then it's pure guess work or a lucky strike on the interweb.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Airborne

That is why I am hoping someone on here has had that lucky find on the web or is well versed enough to find sources I can't. There was probably a wide mix of Mediterranean style hulls and more conventional ones.

First, I recommend you get The End of Barbary Terror:

http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthre...Barbary-Terror

It won't have all the information you are looking for but does have some good information on the Second Barbary War.

I believe Meshuda 46 (also spelled Mashouda and Mashuda) was square rigged. From the aforementioned book, when spotted she was sailing with only topsails. Also an 1815 painting by an Algerian artist shows her as being square rigged. However it is mentioned that she was flying British colors, a common practice of the period to conceal identity and goes on:

"But based on the ship's rig and the cut of her sails, her course, and the way she was handled by her crew, experienced sailors often sensed what was afoot."

I'm not sure what exactly what was different about her "rig and the cut of her sails" but I've never read anything that she had lateen sails.

Here is the painting:

Name:  ob_49935f_meshuda.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  154.0 KB

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Airborne

Coog,

Thanks for that reference. I was able to find online access to it through one of my alma maters' university library. I read those sections and some more this evening and found some good info. As you say though, no explanation for why the "rig and the cut of her sails" would mark her as different.

I also found another source, but still looking for an online library that has access to it.
    Barbary Corsairs : the end of a legend, 1800-1820 by Daniel Panzac
    I have some libraries within 30 miles or so that have it, and might find it electronically.

This Chapter looks promising:
    Chapter Two: Of Ships and Men
    The Barbary Fleets
    The Ships
    Construction and Maintenance
    The Men
    The Shipowners and Fitting Out
    The Corsair Captains
    Origins
    The Careers
    The Crews
    The Janissaries (on-board Infantry)
    Life aboard Ship
    http://public.eblib.com/Choice/Dialo...spx?pid=280487

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I know very little about this area of expertise, but have read that experienced sailors could spot French ships because of the slight difference in the cut of sails, or the design of the hull. Also that ships of other nations often were not braced up as smartly as those of the RN. Slack braces and masts canted at a slightly different angle could convey a lot of information to the practiced seaman's eye.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

There is this in the National Maritime museum, Greenwich, but it is too small for a frigate. It only had 18 guns. Perhaps you could 'stretch' it.
    Name:  large.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  108.5 KB
    http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collect...712.1454214392

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Airborne

Thanks Nahart.

That looks way more conventional than most of the modern drawings and miniatures of xebecs.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneEnginee View Post
    Thanks Nahart.

That looks way more conventional than most of the modern drawings and miniatures of xebecs.
    Not every ship they used followed Arab design, there were a number of European style ships, bought, built and prizes.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Airborne

That's been part of the difficulty in my research, their vessels were a hodge podge and nobody really cared to document them to the satisfaction of 21st Century gamers that want to model them!

I did find a great line (well you Brits won't like it) from the Dey of Algeria on why he broke the earlier treaty with the US and started attacking our merchant ships. He claimed a British Admiral told him the US would not be able to enforce the treaty after the Royal Navy captured our vessels. The Admiral said they should work together. The Royal Navy would take our naval vessels and that the Algerians should take all of our merchant vessels. The Dey was quite surprised when an American Navy Squadron showed up with multiple British prizes in the fleet, killed his admiral and captured his flagship before he even knew they were coming.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneEnginee View Post
    I did find a great line (well you Brits won't like it) from the Dey of Algeria on why he broke the earlier treaty with the US and started attacking our merchant ships. He claimed a British Admiral told him the US would not be able to enforce the treaty after the Royal Navy captured our vessels. The Admiral said they should work together. The Royal Navy would take our naval vessels and that the Algerians should take all of our merchant vessels. The Dey was quite surprised when an American Navy Squadron showed up with multiple British prizes in the fleet, killed his admiral and captured his flagship before he even knew they were coming.
    "Oh, Johnny, did *you* ever back the wrong horse! Will you hose him, please?"
    [Peter Venkman, _Ghostbusters II_]