Thread: New toy

Default New toy

Started work on a simple change, the Victory to the Russian Rostislav
    Name:  PIC001.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  28.0 KBName:  PIC003.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  36.0 KB

Aerial pictures taken by my new toy the $24.98 quadcopter Cheerson CX-10C, can also take movies.
    Name:  PIC010.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  32.0 KBName:  PIC012.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  32.0 KB
    Last edited by Gunner; 01-18-2016 at 17:46.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Nice toy, but you'll have to work on colour balance. The dark green shows up as black...
    If I find some ships that is okay as Swedish conversions to fight it I just might do the same.

Pictures were taken indoors with just ceiling lights, and the color is black, the green comes later, took me all day just to do the white.
    Still, not bad for a $25 flying movie camera.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking good thus far Ed.
    Is it just a cosmetic paint job or are there some alterations to the structure needed?
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Looking good thus far Ed.
    Is it just a cosmetic paint job or are there some alterations to the structure needed?
    Rob.
    The Ches'ma class Rostislav is a close copy of the Victory, so for my needs just a re-paint, rigging and ratlines (as soon as Keith makes them available) will be good enough.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That's the kind I like the best.
    I have another Commerce de Bordeaux 74 on the way from Keith for a repaint, but can't make up my mind what to do with it.
    Any good ideas?
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I like your Russian colors Ed.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Now that's a spiffy paint job!

Always a pleasure to see folks painting, modding and kit bashing SoG ships. Still waiting on those Spanish First Rates though!!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    That's the kind I like the best.
    I have another Commerce de Bordeaux 74 on the way from Keith for a repaint, but can't make up my mind what to do with it.
    Any good ideas?
    Rob.
    Not really, but others should. I used one of my extra Commerce de Bordeaux's as the Argonauta when Ares first released the picture(wanted to be the first kid on my block to have one).
    Pictured with the Argonauta the Ares sculpts look identical.Name:  DSC05939.JPG
Views: 380
Size:  142.9 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Pictures were taken indoors with just ceiling lights, and the color is black, the green comes later, took me all day just to do the white.
    Still, not bad for a $25 flying movie camera.
    It's a great price for a fun toy. The pictures are really good for that price. Electronics get dirt cheap quickly nowadays. I'm guessing you have other uses for it too.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    It's a great price for a fun toy. The pictures are really good for that price. Electronics get dirt cheap quickly nowadays. I'm guessing you have other uses for it too.
    After I get a little more proficient with it, they also have the same model without a camera for around $15.
    I plan some last man flying dogfights with my son & friends.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi Ed,
    Only seen this tread tonight
    Nice toy and nice ship. I think for this scale the Victory is the best model for the Rostislav. I too know how hard it is to do straight lines. She will look great when she is rigged. I like a lot.
    Be safe
    Rory

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

She looks great, Ed.

I think with all the decks, the colors are striking.

Looks like Sue will be doing some painting.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Hi Ed,
    Only seen this tread tonight
    Nice toy and nice ship. I think for this scale the Victory is the best model for the Rostislav. I too know how hard it is to do straight lines. She will look great when she is rigged. I like a lot.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Thanks Rory, the main reason I started this one was because I was too ashamed to try bribing you into doing it.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I think we are all gradually getting the bug to try our hands at repainting now that we have seen what the masters can achieve.
    I am just about to start my third repaint.
    Rob.

Can't believe Rory didn't pick up on what you said further up Ed. That it is only temporarily black, you are going to paint it green! LOL

"Pictures were taken indoors with just ceiling lights, and the color is black, the green comes later, took me all day just to do the white."

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

He ment our faces when he's finished.

I'm having it already.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Thanks Rory, the main reason I started this one was because I was too ashamed to try bribing you into doing it.
    Ed,
    She looks so good. You say you would be ashamed to ask me. You have no need too. That is very good work. You told me you could not paint now (Your eyes). Hats off too you my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Can't believe Rory didn't pick up on what you said further up Ed. That it is only temporarily black, you are going to paint it green! LOL

"Pictures were taken indoors with just ceiling lights, and the color is black, the green comes later, took me all day just to do the white."
    Hi Vol,
    I would not say a thing about someone's colours of a ship or fleet. I started looking at the Russians because of the green and white colours. Lucky for me I learnt that it was Black and white before I started painting. As you know I shout-out about this (a lot).
    All my French are dark red, this is wrong as I know it is, but I do so for the game on the table. In my defence some ships where dark red. I still sometimes wish I had not see the black and white bit. I would have loved a green and white fleet. A little bit of me stouts YES! but most of me is happy Ed is painting. If the Victory can be pink! Who am I to say what colour ships should be!
    Be Safe my two friends
    Rory

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

When painting the stripes, do you do it freehand or do you stick strips of tape on the side of the ship to mask the parts you do not want to paint?