Thread: And Cardboard turns into masonry! Homemade 1/1000 terrain -A tutorial of sorts-

Hybrid View

Ordinary Seaman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Longino

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Well, that's advanced technology for you.
    My cannonballs stay the right way up no matter how they are loaded.
    Bligh.
    I guess that speaks volumes about the training in your fleet xD

It`s time to finally end this project!

Texturing, and painting

I first mixed some fine sand and watered down pva glue and applied it with an old brush on the areas covered in grass, to get some texture and cover any deep knife cuts which I could not sand away.

After it dried, I pproceeded to start painting right away with dollar shop acrylic paint. In retrospective, I should have applied some kind of imprimation layer (by brush if possible, since the gas from spray cans will also melt polystyrene) beforehand, since some paint started chipping away when I applied a final layer of very watered down brown paint to the whole model.

I found out grayish greens worked best as the base coat for grass. Then, I used a mix of green and yellow to dry brush the grassy areas and have the texture stand out a bit more.

For the masonry, I went with a darker, brownish yellow instead of the grey of the actual fortification for no real reason other than I didn't want it to stand out TOO much in the battlefield I started with darker colors on the ground and recesses and went with lighter tones as I went up. The color choice for masonry is one of the things I feel I might regret the most.

In the end, everything was covered by a very light brown ink. Here you can see the finished piece:

Name:  IMG-20151227-WA0002.jpg
Views: 3470
Size:  191.1 KB
    Name:  IMG-20151227-WA0004.jpg
Views: 3288
Size:  177.5 KB
    Name:  IMG-20151227-WA0006.jpg
Views: 3306
Size:  173.7 KB
    Name:  IMG-20151227-WA0009.jpg
Views: 3406
Size:  171.8 KB

Thanks a lot for your feedback and encouragement! What should I do next? Ille du Terre maybe? do you have any suggestions for smaller islands?

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Reg

Quote Originally Posted by 2500kgm3 View Post
    I guess that speaks volumes about the training in your fleet xD

It`s time to finally end this project!

Texturing, and painting

I first mixed some fine sand and watered down pva glue and applied it with an old brush on the areas covered in grass, to get some texture and cover any deep knife cuts which I could not sand away.

After it dried, I pproceeded to start painting right away with dollar shop acrylic paint. In retrospective, I should have applied some kind of imprimation layer (by brush if possible, since the gas from spray cans will also melt polystyrene) beforehand, since some paint started chipping away when I applied a final layer of very watered down brown paint to the whole model.

I found out grayish greens worked best as the base coat for grass. Then, I used a mix of green and yellow to dry brush the grassy areas and have the texture stand out a bit more.

For the masonry, I went with a darker, brownish yellow instead of the grey of the actual fortification for no real reason other than I didn't want it to stand out TOO much in the battlefield I started with darker colors on the ground and recesses and went with lighter tones as I went up. The color choice for masonry is one of the things I feel I might regret the most.

In the end, everything was covered by a very light brown ink. Here you can see the finished piece:

Name:  IMG-20151227-WA0002.jpg
Views: 3470
Size:  191.1 KB
    Name:  IMG-20151227-WA0004.jpg
Views: 3288
Size:  177.5 KB
    Name:  IMG-20151227-WA0006.jpg
Views: 3306
Size:  173.7 KB
    Name:  IMG-20151227-WA0009.jpg
Views: 3406
Size:  171.8 KB

Thanks a lot for your feedback and encouragement! What should I do next? Ille du Terre maybe? do you have any suggestions for smaller islands?
    Excellent modelling skills. Superb! Salute.