Thread: Razeeing a 74

Threaded View

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Default Razeeing a 74

As stated before at one point, I'd like to try razeeing a 74.
    It seems usually they were cut down to 42-/44-/46-/50-/52-gun-Frigates (the complete upper gundeck is removed) or to 54-/58-gun fourth-rates, only losing their quarterdeck and fore and aft bulwark (still remaining a twodecker).
    Finding historical plans for the 42-52-gun Frigates seems rather difficult, the 58-gunner I am going for should look similar to this:

Name:  58-gun Razee.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  53.5 KB

(Maybe a silly question but now that I have this picture where every single of the 74's original gundeck guns is kept, how would a 54-gun fourth-rate look? Which four guns would be "missing"?)

Trying around with Gimp, this was the closest I could get the ship to the shape of the depicted Razee:

Name:  58er.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  39.5 KB

So the plan is to overall lower the bulwark and stem, get rid of the whole quarterdeck, the upper cabin and gallery and the current on-deck guns. I'll also use the chance to make this my first overall repaint project. The ship (I'll go with HMS Impétueux) and paints are already ordered, I'll most likely start next week with the real work.
    If you have any advice or more information about this kind of Razees, please let me know!

Edit: Is it possible to move this thread to the "Modeling, Repaints" subforum? I completely forgot about it!
    Last edited by Torrence; 02-23-2016 at 13:39.