Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Promotions and Decorations.
    I am not sure how that worked out in practice. I know a general service medal was issued to all participants for the Nile and Trafalgar, but not until some years after the event, by Queen Victoria. Captains seem to have had medals struck for major actions, or a sword voted to them by subscription from Lloyd's of London or grateful Heads of State, or a Knighthood from the King for an outstanding single ship action or suchlike. Admirals seem to have got the top honours of Earldoms, Baronetcies etc.
    I'm not sure about other countries, but certainly the British Admiralty did not expend much effort in this direction.
    Rob.
    Most of the medals from the navy were issued to the survivors in 1847. There were several medals issued by private means lite the famous medal of the Nile. It was issued by a price agent for his own money and it was a very good PR-trick.

Name:  IMG_5685.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  337.3 KB

Otherwise an officer hoped to be well mentioned in the despatches and if he had done something especially glorious he could be awarded the gold medal by the navy. I think it was very much about influence and luck to get awarded anything.

Promotions on the other hand were both connections and conduct. Both could make a career and combined it guaranteed quick promotion.
    Last edited by TexaS; 01-03-2017 at 12:17.