Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
Promotions and Decorations.
I am not sure how that worked out in practice. I know a general service medal was issued to all participants for the Nile and Trafalgar, but not until some years after the event, by Queen Victoria. Captains seem to have had medals struck for major actions, or a sword voted to them by subscription from Lloyd's of London or grateful Heads of State, or a Knighthood from the King for an outstanding single ship action or suchlike. Admirals seem to have got the top honours of Earldoms, Baronetcies etc.
I'm not sure about other countries, but certainly the British Admiralty did not expend much effort in this direction.
Rob.

I see the medal as a "You Done Really, Really Good" medal awarded when the record keeper is convinced that it is warranted. It must be asked for by the player and supported by other players to be considered. The limiting of one request for the medal for each game is simply for game management sake. I know this is subjective, but then again, so has been the awarding of medals throughout history. The ability point that comes with the medal is the only part that affects the game.