Thread: Dry Dock storage trays

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Default Dry Dock storage trays

After much back and forth on the best design to hold rigged ships and finding a manufacture that could produce these trays on a continual basis, I'm happy to announce that the Dry Dock trays are now ready for pre-order on the Aerodrome Accessories site.

Below is the layout of the tray. The three ships are stored across the top, the maneuver decks are stored to the right and the ship logs are stored below the ships.

This is a photo of one of the Wings of Glory trays (that many of you have been using for over 6 months now). It shows the high quality of both the top and bottom foam. You will notice how there are no large "bubbles" in the foam like in other foam trays out there. This ensures that ship miniatures will never snag on the side of the foam. At 3 inches of foam to fit the largest ships, these are some solid storage trays!

Finally, this is a photo of the four different color choices you have for the bottom foam. This way you can have a different tray color for the different fleets in your collection.

The Dry Dock trays are on pre-order until December 31st. Order during this time and you will save $2.00 per tray!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Placed a pre-order for 3 to try them out

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

What are the Cubic Inches figures like on these, compared to factory boxes?

Good idea, very well protective, just looks a skosh bulky for my space-challenged situation.

[QUOTE=The Royal Hajj;54923] Dry Dock trays are not ready for pre-order on the site.[QUOTE]

You should change "not ready" to now ready for pre-order.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    What are the Cubic Inches figures like on these, compared to factory boxes?

Good idea, very well protective, just looks a skosh bulky for my space-challenged situation.
    If you are purely trying to save space, the boxes will work better for you. But this will protect the ships better and hold ships that have been rigged.

[QUOTE=Gunner;54940][QUOTE=The Royal Hajj;54923] Dry Dock trays are not ready for pre-order on the site.

You should change "not ready" to now ready for pre-order.
    Good catch, thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Ed, I'm sure you are going to be really impressed with the quality of these. Thanks for the order.
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Reg

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Hi Ed
    Have you received them yet and will you be posting a report with pics?
    I've almost made up my mind to go with the KR Multicase custom trays but I could still be pushed in a different direction.
    Reg

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Maturin View Post
    Hi Ed
    Have you received them yet and will you be posting a report with pics?
    I've almost made up my mind to go with the KR Multicase custom trays but I could still be pushed in a different direction.
    Reg
    Reg,

These will not be delivered until about mid January. Right now they are just on pre-order. There are quite a few people out there with my ACE Hangar trays that could have you a good review on the quality of them. To give you and idea of how much protection my tray give, I can place a single tray on my desk (filled with minis) and i can sit on it. I'm about 150 pounds and I sit with all my weight on the tray and the minis are just fine. The micro cell foam that I use is supper soft and smooth, but it hardly compresses at all. You can also load one up with 6 Albatros D.Va minis, with their all metal bodies, and hold it by one end of the tray and it will not bend. I'm sure you have seen/held KR trays before. Could you do either of those two things with their tray?

The other major difference between their trays and mine are that I store everything you need for a ship right in the same tray. No need to dig though different trays or boxes to find the components you need to sail the ship. The one draw back to this setup is it takes up more room in the tray so you get less minis per tray. To offset this somewhat, my trays will hold every type of ship. This makes them a little more flexible as your collection grows.

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    Reg,

These will not be delivered until about mid January. Right now they are just on pre-order. There are quite a few people out there with my ACE Hangar trays that could have you a good review on the quality of them. To give you and idea of how much protection my tray give, I can place a single tray on my desk (filled with minis) and i can sit on it. I'm about 150 pounds and I sit with all my weight on the tray and the minis are just fine. The micro cell foam that I use is supper soft and smooth, but it hardly compresses at all. You can also load one up with 6 Albatros D.Va minis, with their all metal bodies, and hold it by one end of the tray and it will not bend. I'm sure you have seen/held KR trays before. Could you do either of those two things with their tray?

The other major difference between their trays and mine are that I store everything you need for a ship right in the same tray. No need to dig though different trays or boxes to find the components you need to sail the ship. The one draw back to this setup is it takes up more room in the tray so you get less minis per tray. To offset this somewhat, my trays will hold every type of ship. This makes them a little more flexible as your collection grows.
    I hope you won't be offended if I don't try sitting on one with my 175 pound frame.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I'll do the testing so you guys don't have too ;) I just grabbed my copilot an our 195lbs combined weight could not hurt the minis either. lol

Landsman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Vincent

Hi Keith, how can i purchase the dry dock storage for my 8 ships ? It seems that i cannot buy it on aerodrome website...
    Thank you
    Vincent

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Hi Vincent,

They were taken off the site while they are being produced at the manufacture. As soon as they come in, I'll put them back on the site and you can order them then. I have to do it this way to keep things straight with the pre-orders.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

The foam for these arrived today. They are still pretty waterlogged from the water jet, so they are going to need several days to dry out before I can start assembling everyone's orders. Just wanted to give you guys an update and let you know it will not be long now. Thanks for your patience.

Don't want my ships water logged in drydock. Thanks for the update Keith

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Dry Dock Trays are now up on the AA site for normal ordering.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    rob

These look perfect to me. I like the circumspect approach to keeping all related components together.

Can someone post a pic of some ships in one of these? How do the ship logs fit underneath? Just by setting the tray on top?

If I wanted to try and dry dock a collection of 58 ships, what would be the smart way to color code the trays?
    Last edited by robbage; 01-23-2018 at 18:17.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    rob

I believe I have a couple of these coming in so will be answering my own questions soon enough. Will still need quite a few. Can trade Balloon sets.
    Last edited by robbage; 01-27-2018 at 12:28.