Thread: Ships name cards.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    A note about the American flag; I believe the one you chose was a reproduction of the Fort McHenry flag. I don't think the Americans used 15 stripes outside of that flag. I could be wrong....

Also, doesn't the St Andrews cross sort of establish a date for the British?
    The United States Congress' Flag Act of 1794 added two stars and stripes when Vermont and Kentucky were added as states to the original thirteen. The Flag Act of 1818 changed the flag back to 13 stripes for the original thirteen colonies while a new star would be added for each new state.

The flag of 15 stars and stripes would be appropriate for the ships of the permanent standing United States Navy created by the Naval Act of 1794 and served through the War of 1812 and Second Barbary War, but not for the Continental Navy, which was disbanded after the American War of Independence.

Also the 1781 sloop was named Atalanta instead of Atlanta.
    Last edited by Coog; 12-03-2015 at 20:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Also the 1781 sloop was named Atalanta instead of Atlanta.
    Hi Bob

I heard of the HMS Atalanta and a US merchantman, but not a US Sloop by that name. Would you please show me where I could find that information? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Hi Bob

I heard of the HMS Atalanta and a US merchantman, but not a US Sloop by that name. Would you please show me where I could find that information? Thanks.
    Atalanta is the alternate ship for the Thorn model. Ares refers to her as USS Atalanta on their cards and elsewhere. But I agree with David, like Thorn, she was actually just called Atalanta. I don't believe the USS designation was used until sometime after the before mentioned Naval Act of 1794.

United States ships also used designations such as USF for United States Frigate. It wasn't until 1907 when President Theodore Roosevelt made USS the only official designation in his Executive Order 549.

"In order that there shall be uniformity in the matter of designating naval vessels, it is hereby directed that the official designation of vessels of war, and other vessels of the Navy of the United States, shall be the name of such vessel, preceded by the words, United States Ship, or the letters U.S.S., and by no other words or letters."
    Last edited by Coog; 12-03-2015 at 22:16.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Atalanta is the alternate ship for the Thorn model. Ares refers to her as USS Atalanta on their cards and elsewhere. But I agree with David, like Thorn, she was actually just called Atalanta. I don't believe the USS designation was used until sometime after the before mentioned Naval Act of 1794.
    More than that, she was never officially brought into US naval service, being captured and then recaptured by the RN a few weeks later.