Page 82 of 89 FirstFirst ... 32727374757677787980818283848586878889 LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,100 of 4777

Thread: Favourite Nautical related tipple.

Hybrid View

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A monkey's fist or monkey paw is a type of knot, so named because it looks somewhat like a small bunched fist/paw. It is tied at the end of a rope to serve as a weight, making it easier to throw, and also as an ornamental knot. This type of weighted rope can be used as a hand-to-hand weapon, called a slungshot by sailors.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Another Ferry beer is Tynwald. The High Court of Tynwald is the Parliament of the Isle of Man.

Name:  beer4.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  67.6 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The next Ferry beer is called Manxman.

Name:  beer11.jpg
Views: 2719
Size:  63.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 09-21-2020 at 13:20.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

From Evil Twin Brewing in Brooklyn, New York, USA comes The Porthole, a saison.

Name:  evil_twin_big_bottle_0019_porthole.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  49.5 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Evil Twin Brewing was founded in Denmark. Another of its products is a pale ale called Bikini Beer, named after the Pacific atoll where atomic bomb tests were carried out.

Name:  evil_twin_0000_bikini_beer.jpg
Views: 2547
Size:  61.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Admiral Vernon's Old J Spiced Rum

Name:  spiced-bottle.png
Views: 1577
Size:  159.1 KB

The manufacturers wrote,"

It all started in 1740, when Admiral Edward Vernon enforced a reduction in the strength of the British Navy’s rum ration. When his men complained, Vernon suggested the addition of limes and sugar to make the drink more enjoyable.

Old J has been created in honour of this unlikely mixologist who was known as Old Grog. However, Old J brings Vernon´s concept into the 21st Century by using the finest Caribbean Rum combined with our secret blend of spices, sugar, vanilla and Persian lime.

It took over sixty trials before the perfect harmony of ingredients was found, and Old J’s smooth and spicy flavour profile was born.

Old J is now available in five, unique varieties, with the same blended base spirit used throughout—except for in Old J Gold, which uses a British Virgin Isles rum from a pot still."

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

There are several versions of Admiral Vernon's Old J rum. This one is flavoured with marasca cherry.

Name:  cherry-bottle.png
Views: 1273
Size:  162.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

HMS Grey Goose.

With regard to our sailing navy the relevance of a grey goose came with the definition of dawn. When you can see a grey goose at a mile, it is time to send two lookouts aloft, one to the foremasthead and the other to the mainmast, and watch the horizon. ... the routine by which one of the King's ships greeted a new day at sea in wartime.
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-27-2020 at 03:30.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The CO of HMS Grey Goose was the naturalist Sir Peter Scott who founded the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust here in Gloucestershire (about 2 miles from where I am now).

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Grey Goose was the lead ship of a flotilla of steam gunboats, all named after wildlife with names beginning with Grey. One wonders whether the flotilla commander (Lt Cmdr later Sir Peter Scott) had anything to do with that. Apparently, the Grey Goose still exists. Sold in 1984, the hulk was converted to a houseboat and renamed Anserava. She is currently moored on the River Medway near Hoo St Werburgh in Kent, England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_Gun_Boat

Anserava

Name:  Anserava (formerly HMS Grey Goose).jpg
Views: 1395
Size:  108.9 KB

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    The Grey Goose was the lead ship of a flotilla of steam gunboats, all named after wildlife with names beginning with Grey. One wonders whether the flotilla commander (Lt Cmdr later Sir Peter Scott) had anything to do with that. Apparently, the Grey Goose still exists. Sold in 1984, the hulk was converted to a houseboat and renamed Anserava. She is currently moored on the River Medway near Hoo St Werburgh in Kent, England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_Gun_Boat

Anserava

Name:  Anserava (formerly HMS Grey Goose).jpg
Views: 1395
Size:  108.9 KB
    I believe Peter Scott did come up with the naming convention once the Admiralty decided the SGBs were large enough to warrant names. He also invented the Western Approaches camouflage scheme, based on his observations of camouflage in nature

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

A third member of the Old J range is Old J Silver, a less spicy white rum.

Name:  silver-bottle.png
Views: 1678
Size:  174.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Old J Gold spiced rum.

Name:  gold-bottle.png
Views: 3702
Size:  159.9 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

May not be a Grey Goose but it is a seabird!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

One specially for Wentworth. here you go Bill.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Admiral's Old J Dark Spiced Rum.

Name:  dark-bottle.png
Views: 1601
Size:  172.0 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The last of Admiral's Old J rums, Tiki Fire Spiced Rum. This is 151 proof and 75.5% ABV.

Name:  tiki-bottle.png
Views: 1247
Size:  156.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Abel Tasman ale.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Glenfarclas Distillery is one of Speyside's independent whisky producers. In 2013 they issued the Alexander Selkirk edition of their Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky, which was distilled in 1990.

Name:  186840-zoom.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  149.6 KB

Alexander Selkirk (1676 – 13 December 1721) was a Scottish privateer and Royal Navy officer who spent four years and four months as a castaway (1704–1709) after being marooned by his captain on an uninhabited island in the South Pacific Ocean. He is considered to have been an inspiration for Daniel Defoe's novel 'The Life and Surprising Adventures of Robinson Crusoe' published in 1719.

Selkirk has been memorialised in his Scottish birthplace. Lord Aberdeen delivered a speech on 11 December 1885, after which his wife, Lady Aberdeen, unveiled a bronze statue and plaque in memory of Selkirk outside a house on the site of his original home on the Main Street of Lower Largo. David Gillies of Cardy House, Lower Largo, a descendant of the Selkirks, donated the statue created by Thomas Stuart Burnett.

Name:  Alexander_Selkirk_Statue.jpg
Views: 2376
Size:  208.4 KBName:  350px-Alexander_Selkirk_Plaque.jpg
Views: 2022
Size:  17.0 KB

Plaque for Selkirk in Lower Largo, Fife, Scotland, which reads: "In memory of Alexander Selkirk, mariner, the original of Robinson Crusoe who lived on the island of Juan Fernández in complete solitude for four years and four months. He died 1723 [sic], lieutenant of HMS Weymouth, aged 47 years [sic]. This statue is erected by David Gillies, net manufacturer, on the site of the cottage in which Selkirk was born."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Selkirk

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

One for this month.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Greenbar Distillery of Los Angeles, California, USA manufacture Crusoe Spiced Rum, named after Robinson Crusoe.

Name:  Crusoe_Spiced-200x824.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  50.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another Tasman. The portrait is rather interesting when compared to the picture on the label!?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Greenbar Distillery also manufacture Crusoe Silver Rum.

Name:  Crusoe_Silver-600x2483.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  54.9 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Greenbar Distillery also produce as a canned cocktail Coastal Rum + Cola.

Name:  Greenbar_Coastal_RumCola-400x1142.jpg
Views: 2368
Size:  82.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 10-11-2020 at 00:51.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

There is yet another drink named Crusoe Spiced Rum. This one is manufactured by Lundin Distilling of Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland.

Name:  Lundin-Distilling-Crusoe-Rum.jpg
Views: 2043
Size:  109.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Tortuga Rum Company of the Cayman Islands manufactures Tortuga Banana Rum.

Name:  rum_tor2.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  90.5 KB

They also manufacture Caribbean Banana Rum cake.

Name:  71FfFRkyo5L.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  99.7 KB
    Last edited by Naharaht; 10-10-2020 at 20:14.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Tortuga Rum Company also manufactures Coconut Rum and Coconut Rum cake.

Name:  1040507x.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  21.7 KB

Name:  coconut-rum-cake-16oz-cake-and-box__55853.1568239441.386.513.jpg
Views: 2117
Size:  19.2 KB
    Last edited by Naharaht; 10-11-2020 at 19:19.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

There is also Tortuga Mango Rum.

Name:  medium_tortuga-mango.png
Views: 1072
Size:  21.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob