Thread: Favourite Nautical related tipple.

Hybrid View

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The CO of HMS Grey Goose was the naturalist Sir Peter Scott who founded the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust here in Gloucestershire (about 2 miles from where I am now).

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Grey Goose was the lead ship of a flotilla of steam gunboats, all named after wildlife with names beginning with Grey. One wonders whether the flotilla commander (Lt Cmdr later Sir Peter Scott) had anything to do with that. Apparently, the Grey Goose still exists. Sold in 1984, the hulk was converted to a houseboat and renamed Anserava. She is currently moored on the River Medway near Hoo St Werburgh in Kent, England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_Gun_Boat

Anserava

Name:  Anserava (formerly HMS Grey Goose).jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  108.9 KB

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    The Grey Goose was the lead ship of a flotilla of steam gunboats, all named after wildlife with names beginning with Grey. One wonders whether the flotilla commander (Lt Cmdr later Sir Peter Scott) had anything to do with that. Apparently, the Grey Goose still exists. Sold in 1984, the hulk was converted to a houseboat and renamed Anserava. She is currently moored on the River Medway near Hoo St Werburgh in Kent, England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_Gun_Boat

Anserava

Name:  Anserava (formerly HMS Grey Goose).jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  108.9 KB
    I believe Peter Scott did come up with the naming convention once the Admiralty decided the SGBs were large enough to warrant names. He also invented the Western Approaches camouflage scheme, based on his observations of camouflage in nature