Thread: BottosCon 2015 - Vancouver BC 6-8 November

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Default BottosCon 2015 - Vancouver BC 6-8 November

Yeah, like lots of warning, sorry.

I've been attending BottosCon for two years, but this is the first time Sails of Glory will be played at the Con.

Name:  SailsGloryPoster.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  201.2 KB

I won't be running this game. A fellow Wings of Glory player is bringing his copy (Troy [Troy_C]). However, Ares is supporting all the Glory games at the con, with this prize package:

Name:  PrizeSupport2015_50.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  267.3 KB

I'll post pictures next week!
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 11-12-2015 at 09:27.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Best wishes for a great Con, Mike.

Nice ad picture. Did you do the graphics?
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That is a great poster, Mike! I hope that the Con will go well and that you will have some good games.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hope all goes well with the Con Mike, love the poster and great looking support from Ares, well done those men.
    I look forward to seeing pics after the event.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Best of luck at the convention and thanks for sharing the poster. Please post photos if you get the opportunity! Cheers!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Have a wonderful game and introduce many new players!

Very good looking poster. I might just use that next LinCon.

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

If you missed it, the blank poster is in an album: OldGuy's Graphics for Sails Album
    Source image for the poster - Second Battle of the Virginia Capes (Battle of the Chesapeake)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Chesapeake

The ship combat image I picked up on Wikipedia is a large horizontal battlescape. I added more clouds to get the vertical height I needed to match all the Wings of Glory posters I put up for those games. All the WoG posters are in an album on the Aerodrome.

The Sails of Glory logo I redid from the crappy low-rez images I could find online for the game. To print even 8.5x11 posters, the logo was too pixelated to use. I took the bad images into Adobe Illustrator, and did a quick over-trace of the scroll-work there, with Times-New Roman font for the lettering. So, if someone needs just the logo on a transparent background for doing their own ads or posters, I could upload that to my album, too.

And Sunday evening, or Monday at the latest, I will be posting the Sunday Morning game and prize winners. Stand-by!
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 11-07-2015 at 02:42.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Good luck Mike. Your poster looks fantastic. Have a great weekend. Do you think a sails Skype game is doable?

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Sunday AM - Sails of Glory Demo

Troy Chard [Troy_C] put lots of work prepping for this demo, and it showed. Not knowing who would want to play, or how many ships to plan for, he set up every possible combination for which he had ships. 2 vs 2 with frigates or ships of the line, up to 4 vs 4 with frigates or ships of the line, and anything in between. We ended up with 10 people wanting to play. Troy didn't foresee this situation, and we had a limited time slot to play the game.

This is Troy briefing the rules to the participants. Troy at the back in the red shirt, and clockwise around the table: Joe Pagal (striped shirt, French player), Byron Salahor (blue windbreaker, French player), Roger Leroux (red shirt, French player), Rick Smith (black t-shirt, British player), Len Zigante (red t-shirt, British player), Allan Noordvyk (grey t-shirt, British player), Tyler Nguyen (green t-shirt, British player). Taking the picture: Mike Owen (red Aerodrome t-shirt, French player).
    Name:  IMG_3119.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  156.8 KB

Start of the scenario from my corner, opposite from last view.
    Name:  IMG_3120.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  195.3 KB
    The French enter in two columns from the left, and the British in line abreast from the right. Wind would be constant from the bottom right side of the table, without direction changes.

Two British ships collide, before any shots are made. The opening shot by the British on the second column, with a raking shot by the collided British ship, after the French have turned into the wind, and the British have tried to sweep around to get the wind at their stern. The lead French ship returns fire on the only viable target available.
    Name:  IMG_3122.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  206.4 KB
    The shot indicators are home-made by Troy.

Two turns later, and the lead British ship and a French ship are bow to bow (middle left of center). I have inadvertently maneuvered into a near collision with that ship, attempting to get wind in my sails. The lead French ship beside me is going under, and the lead French ship of column two is sailing away at the top of the image, abandoning his fleet mates to their fate. The bottom British ship is firing a raking shot over my stern that inflicts a massive 22 points of damage to my ship.
    Name:  IMG_3125.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  198.3 KB

The end of the French fleet.
    Name:  IMG_3126.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  193.0 KB
    The British ship in front of me was taken out by my bow shot and withering musket fire from my deck in the previous turn. Then, I collided with my French partner. To finish me off, another British ship rakes me from the stern, and I go down. Both French ship are badly mauled, and the British survivors are not much better. However, there are more of them in better shape, and there are victory points in surviving the scenario. So, the French put on maximum sail and run before the wind.

The winners! Everyone that played had a blast. Some more than others.
    Name:  IMG_3127.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  150.3 KB
    From the left: Len Zigante takes second place, and wins two ships of the line. Troy Chard presents the Sails of Glory Starter Set to Allan Noordvyk, the player inflicting the most damage in the game. Behind him, the commander of the British Fleet, Rick Smith with his fourth place ship. And Tyler Nguyen shares his third place winnings with his buddy, Kevin Lee. All the prizes were courtesy of ARES Games!

Group Shot of the Inaugural Sails of Glory game at BottosCon!
    Name:  IMG_3129.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  162.7 KB
    Front Row (L to R): Joe Pagal, Tyler Nguyen hugged by Rob Bottos, Kevin Lee.
    Back Row (L to R): Mike Owen, Len Zigante, Troy Chard, Allan Noordvyk, Rick Smith.

Lots of fun, and a better game than my memories of Wooden Ships & Iron Men. Many, many thanks to Troy Chard for his efforts in presenting a great introduction to the game, with inspired visual effects and preparation. Thanks to ARES for awesome prize support. And last but not least, to Rob Bottos, the organizer of the Con, without whom there wouldn't have been a place to showcase the game.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 11-12-2015 at 09:29. Reason: Pictures and captions added

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great little window on the game Mike.
    Well done all and thanks for putting faces to names.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Great pictures Mike, love the mat and all the goodies everyone won. Fantastic job promoting SoG.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Very nice game. Seems like a good scenario.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks for the photos and report on the game. It sure looks like everyone had fun. The shot indicators look especially intriguing. I would love to see how they look close up?
    –English Proverb

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Great report, Mike! Were those firing indicators made from a book of matches, because that it what they look like from a distance?

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Great report, Mike! Were those firing indicators made from a book of matches, because that it what they look like from a distance?
    I've asked Troy to consider joining the Anchorage to share his expertise. He's way too humble, but you never know.

There's lots of great things here to tempt him, and he really likes the game. One can hope he comes aboard, and shows off his shot markers.

PS: Troy is now on the Anchorage as Troy_C
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 11-12-2015 at 09:31.

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Len

Thanks for the awesome games Mike, very much enjoyed myself AND the prizes. Looking forward to next time

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Len

I had a close look at those firing indicators as I intend to make some. They are made with round toothpicks cut down to size & glued together, painted yellow on one tip, then some red, then cotton batting puffed up & spritzed with some black spray paint from a distance. He mounted them on "L" shaped bases so one end can overlap a ship base. He made 2 sizes I believe... short ones for aft & bow shots, and long ones for starboard & port shots. Quite ingenious actually & they added that extra oomph to the game

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I've asked Troy to consider joining the Anchorage to share his expertise. He's way too humble, but you never know.

There's lots of great things here to tempt him, and he really likes the game. One can hope he comes aboard, and shows off his shot markers.
    You know that we would all make him most welcome Mike, but I quite understand. I have found it impossible to get some of my friends to take the plunge.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Let me be the first to welcome you to the Anchorage Len.
    I'm sure that you will enjoy the articles and information stored here.
    My shipmates are very friendly, and have a wealth of knowledge about all things nautical.
    Do join us in the Wardroom for a virtual tot or three.
    Bligh.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Hello Len. Welcome to the Anchorage!
    –English Proverb

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Welcome to the Anchorage, don't worry, we don't get new crew to scrub the decks any more!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Welcome! There's lots of good information and friendly members here.

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Troy has signed up as Troy_C.

Perhaps Len and Troy will also post on the Canadian Roll Call (Link) thread, too?

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Herkybird View Post
    Welcome to the Anchorage, don't worry, we don't get new crew to scrub the decks any more!
    I did a bit too much of that in the Canadian Navy, on my knees, with green scrubbies and deck rags, daily. When I transferred to the Air Force, and my new associates were complaining about cleaning spaces with mops and buffers, weekly, I was laughing. I knew I was never going to do anything in the Air Force as bad as some jobs in the Navy.

So, Richard, thanks for not enforcing all the bad parts of "cleaning stations" on the new ratings.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Maybe a "Final Countdown" theme for next con, the carrier HMS Glorious is transported to the Battle of the Nile . . .

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Union Jack View Post
    Good luck Mike. Your poster looks fantastic. Have a great weekend. Do you think a sails Skype game is doable?
    Neil,
    Skype is possible with any tabletop game.

You'll have to contact Troy to arrange that, though. I don't have any ships or Sails of Glory game parts, so I won't be hosting any Sails games.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper1701 View Post
    Maybe a "Final Countdown" theme for next con, the carrier HMS Glorious is transported to the Battle of the Nile . . .
    It would be a very quick game so you'd get to play it loads of times. Even less fun for the French though than a regular Nile game

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Len

Thank you Bligh, much appreciated. Love Sails & Wings so I'll be visiting often :-)

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Len. May I suggest that you go to the Welcome Aboard sub-forum and introduce yourself. You will find that the people here are very friendly.