Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Default AAR: August's Solo Mission – ‘I am envious only of glory.’

“Why of course Sir Henry, I would be glad to Sir Henry...”

“Less of the platitudes Turner, the boy may have got his promotion but I’ll be damned if I’ll let him loose commanding one of my ships if he’s not up to it, even if he is my godson and Admiral of the Fleet, Benbow's son!” Sir Henry Boneville was direct and to the point. He did not beat around the bush. “He will be ‘nominally’ in command of HMS Morpeth but and I say again but, if he makes an arse of it”, Sir Henry turned to the 2nd of his captain in the room, “You, Wright will resume command. Is that understood?”

“Yes Sir Henry”, replied Captain Wright of the 40 gun frigate Morpeth.

“Patrol just off the east coast, take a note of anything of worth and bring back both of my ships in one piece. Now good day gentlemen.”

Both Captains took their leave and glad of the opportunity to be free of the squadron for a while.
    2 days later HMS Dover, 100 gun flagship of Captain Benjamin Turner, in the company of HMS Morpeth now under the ‘command’ of Lieutenant Benbow tacked towards the enemy shore. It was early dawn and Turner wanted to see what was in port. He had signaled the frigate to stand in closer to shore and come about if attacked.

Name:  september 2015 002 (360x640).jpg
Views: 186
Size:  127.4 KB

Leaving harbour newly promoted Capitaine de vaisseau Pascal D'Ettoine of the 118 gun Mars intended this to be a sea trial for his crew and ship so he could evaluate them for the Admiral. No sooner had they passed the headland than the mast head lookout was shouting “British ships to the north”. A quick look through the glass and he saw a first rate and frigate closing. He was also aware that before he could turn the ponderous Mars and be back in port the British would be upon him. So he decided to give battle.

Name:  september 2015 001 (640x360).jpg
Views: 174
Size:  116.0 KB

Captain Turner turned towards the shout from his 3rd Lt. “Look at her fly, she’s going to engage!” Turner looked on as HMS Morpeth used her speed and agility to forge ahead of her slower consort.

Name:  september 2015 003 (640x360).jpg
Views: 182
Size:  111.0 KB

Turner ordered a turn to port as the French 3 decker turned to port. HMS Morpeth’s guns rolled out their challenge. Ordinarily any ship of the line would ignore a frigate but as this impudent Frigate Captain had fired first then Captain Pascal thought he would give him what he deserved in reply. He would engage both British ships at the same time!

Name:  september 2015 005 (640x360).jpg
Views: 153
Size:  135.7 KB
    Name:  september 2015 006 (640x360).jpg
Views: 167
Size:  165.0 KB
    Name:  september 2015 007 (640x360).jpg
Views: 189
Size:  147.0 KB

HMS Dover reply was ragged and ill timed. Cursing his crew he extolled them to greater effort. Otherwise he knew the battle was lost!

Having reloaded his own guns in record time, young Benbow was not about to give up. His after starboard division fired again. Bonneville was pleased to see the majority of iron slam home into the French 1st rate.

Name:  september 2015 012 (360x640).jpg
Views: 169
Size:  157.5 KB

HMS Dover had turned slowly and was beating back into the battle. The first rates fired together and again Dover took the brunt of the damage. A cry aloft and a sail came crashing down onto the main deck spreading fire and embers all round.

Name:  september 2015 014 (640x360).jpg
Views: 162
Size:  125.3 KB

HMS Dover, battling the wind, a fire turned towards the French liner as Captain Pascal out guessing the British Captain turned and fired a devastating frontal rake down the length of Dover. Crewmen were felled all along the upper deck but at least the fire had been put out. Dover closed.

Name:  september 2015 015 (640x360).jpg
Views: 159
Size:  174.3 KB

Dover’s stern rake at close quarters with double shot guns blew the stern gallery off Mars, a mast crumpled down hanging over the side, bodies lay strewn above and below decks as a fire raged unchecked. Captain Pascal’s body amongst the fallen and with him most of the senior officers! A midshipman hauled down the colours and Mars surrendered to a battered and bloody HMS Dover.

Name:  september 2015 017 (640x360).jpg
Views: 181
Size:  157.9 KB

A prize crew could not save the Frenchman and most of the surviving crew were jumping into the water for Mars was perilously close to the shore. As Dover and Morpeth sailed away they could make out the wrecked Mars heeled over on its port side well and truly ablaze from stem to stern.

Butchers Bill
    Name:  september 2015 018 (640x360).jpg
Views: 156
Size:  185.2 KB
    (Orient) Mars: Captain Killed. Crew depleted strikes, on fire grounds and is destroyed.

Name:  september 2015 019 (640x360).jpg
Views: 173
Size:  213.4 KB
    (Victory) HMS Dover: Badly damaged. Fires put out.
    Captain Turner: 3pts+1 pt = 4 points.

Name:  september 2015 020 (640x360).jpg
Views: 186
Size:  183.7 KB
    (Sybille) HMS Morpeth: Minor damage.
    Lieutenant Benbow: 1 point.

SUMMARY
    1. A well rounded mission, liked this greatly.
    2. Young Benbow just couldn't get back into the action after his headlong charge at the first rate. Although his initial damage helped win the contest before ti had begun!
    3. Try as I might Dover just couldn't get in early to end it.
    4. Most of the French first rate damage was against ships not crew. On the other side of the coin, most of the British damage was against crew and this was the French ships undoing.
    5. To save time I removed one box in the turn a fire was started, a second the next turn then the fire was automatically put out.
    Last edited by Union Jack; 11-06-2015 at 00:56.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Very fun read.
    When testplaying this scenario I had problems getting the small ship to survive. You managed very well!

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

At the start the AI chart got her right in at the mix then she just sailed around on the edge of things, hence my adding in the bit about if he mucks it up take over command again int he preamble bit. Every roll I came up with the frigate turned the wrong way and the French 1st rate just went at the British 1st rate. But it was fun.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Very fun read.
    When testplaying this scenario I had problems getting the small ship to survive. You managed very well!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I had the same thing with my ship when I played this. The young headstrong captain went in but then lost the plot, which actually seemed to save the day for him.
    This was a great action Neil. Looked like a day for the french right up to the double shotted rake.
    Well fought Captain Turner.
    Bligh.