Thread: Tutorial. How to build ships of scale 1/1200 1/1000?

Default Tutorial. How to build ships of scale 1/1200 1/1000?

Hello everyone,
    As I said on occasion, I'm doing a tutorial that I will publish for free to encourage those who do not know how to start when building their boats. Since absolute humility I will try to share with my point of view the building of sailboats in eighteenth and early nineteenth century.

1) Preliminary steps
    2) Sea base
    3) Painting the hull, masts, sails and ratlines.
    4) Installation of masts and sails.

The sencond part will be:
    5) Rigging.
    5.1) Standing rigging.
    5.2) Installation of ratlines.
    5.3) Running Rigging.
    6) Making accessories and installation.
    6.1) Anchors.
    6.2) Flags.
    7) Repainting of damaged parts.
    8) Painting the sea base.

Best regards,
    Julián

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Excellent, I've ben building these damned things for nearly 30 years but I'm always happy to try new techniques

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Thanks Julian,
    When and where? I would love to see how you do it. (Models No ships)
    Be safe
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Excellent, I've ben building these damned things for nearly 30 years but I'm always happy to try new techniques
    A lifetime! ...then you're a veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Thanks Julian,
    When and where? I would love to see how you do it. (Models No ships)
    Be safe
    Rory
    soon I will put a link in this thread

A step a day, a week

maybe a week ;)

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Building a 1/1000 scale ship.

1. Have 20/20 vision.

2. Use at least 3 power magnifiers and tweezers.

3. Have rock steady hands and single hair paint brushes.

4. Have NO other hobbies that interfere with building tiny ships, including SOG or grandkids. For every hour you play SOG, you must put in 10 hours on building ships.

5. If at any time your sight gives out, your hands tremble, or your patience runs out (I'm looking at you, kids), send your ships to me for cataloging.

I built a Shapeways "Niagara", ship in one day. No rigging, just painting and gluing, etc. But that was the only thing I did all day. If I rigged it, add another half day. Sculpt a base for it, add another half day. Custom ship card, mat, and log, another day.

Name:  Niagara Finished08.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  140.9 KB
    Last edited by Kentop; 10-30-2015 at 18:53.

A step a week or so sounds good. It will give people time to build a ship following your instructions.

It is true that everyone has different skills that will shape the quality finish of each boat. But why you are going to stop building them?
    In the tutorial I tell you my experience and how I do. At the beginning of the tutorial I mention that everyone is free to do ships with any technique. I only comment my personal experience when I do it. Regarding the quality of painting... there are some factors who affect, not only rock steady hands or great vision... with some tecnique you can get good results.

The first block will publish all together because it is only the phase of painting and assembly of masts and sails. When I begin with the part of the rigging I will explain it more slowly.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    The first block will publish all together because it is only the phase of painting and assembly of masts and sails. When I begin with the part of the rigging I will explain it more slowly.

Don't mind me. I was just having a geezer moment, Your goal is admirable and most welcome. Please continue. I'm sure the forum gods will bless your posting with a well deserved sticky.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If those ships in your photo were done by you Ken they look just fine to me.
    I have never done any ships other than the Gun Brig I altered from Thorn. Any one doing a ship from a kit has my admiration.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I will look forward to reading your articles, Julian, because you build such splendid models.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Well JUlian I will now put off building the 4 Langtons and follow your steps 1 by 1.

Neil

Hello I add a link where you can download first part of tutorial. It is a short guide for those who want to start the hobby. Those who already know how to build these ships, it will serve less. I hope you like it and you find it helpful.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/di6dgpc76...Ahfya-YFa?dl=0

Best regards,
    Julián

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    Hello I add a link where you can download first part of tutorial. It is a short guide for those who want to start the hobby. Those who already know how to build these ships, it will serve less. I hope you like it and you find it helpful.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/di6dgpc76...Ahfya-YFa?dl=0

Best regards,
    Julián
    Thanks Julian,
    I have down-loaded and had a quick look. It is tons better than mine. I'm going to wait until I have time to give it a good seeing too. Thanks again Julian
    Be safe
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Thanks Julian,
    I have down-loaded and had a quick look. It is tons better than mine. I'm going to wait until I have time to give it a good seeing too. Thanks again Julian
    Be safe
    Rory
    Hi Rory,
    Thank you for your words. I have to remember that you helped me rectify the strings of my boat, if you wouldn't have said anything about the rigging, today, I would be making the rigging erroneously. Thank you!

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Len

Fantastic tutorial Julian - I'm looking forward to trying this. Thank you ever so much for uploading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziglen View Post
    Fantastic tutorial Julian - I'm looking forward to trying this. Thank you ever so much for uploading it.
    Thank you for your compliments, Len!