Yes Neil! Dryad is one of my ships with removable masts for just such an action.
What astounded me was the way she could follow me through the maze of channels on AI alone. Each dice roll brought her around almost in sinc with Amelia. The only time it went wrong was at the beginning when she ran into Amelia's stern but luckily did not entangle. Then when she was a bit sluggish on the turns and Amelia got off a shot from her aft battery. This was in fact what wore down the Dryade in the end. Traded broadsides and musketry did little but level damage.
Fortunately, L'Inconstante suffered from being too far away to get the benefit of tailing, and once she was within two rulers tried to make straight for Amelia, instead of standing off and firing. This led to her grounding, and the dice roll went against her so she answered Amelia's fire rather than waiting to get in a broadside, which may have altered things considerably.
One liberty I did take, was to allow ship movement with topsails alone otherwise when the wind was aft they would never have managed to negotiate the sharper changes of course needed.
I enjoyed playing it and I hope you think my story line did your excellent game design justice.
Rob.